Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT - A/mkt Electrical item identification?

Hello,

I am new here and just purchased a 2012 RT Limited and it has an aftermarket item I am unable to identify.

I have attached a picture.

Anyone know what this is? It is attached in rear trunk and the wires are routed somewhere.

Thanks for the assistance.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Brake flasher??? Old style for sure.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

That looks like the brake flasher controller that used to be sold by Custom Dynamics. I have one on my Spyder and really like it. Rotate the knob and you can see how the flash pattern changes; select the one you like best. The strobe patterns are in the picture.

Brakelight Strobe Patterns.jpg
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Custom Dynamics. One of the best brake light flashers out there. I have purchased 6 or 7 of these over the years for various bikes.

I am scared however to add anything to this bike because of the can-bus system.

Tim
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrMagicFingers View Post
    I am scared however to add anything to this bike because of the can-bus system.
    No need to worry about the CANbus. There are no common non-BRP addons that you would put on that have any connection to the CANbus. In fact, I think the only BRP addons that have a CANbus connection are the CB and XM radios. All you have to do is be careful not to cut into any of the CANbus wires.

Get a service manual. It should have a wiring diagram included. At least the ones for 2013 and later do. Go to www.canammanuals.com.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    No need to worry about the CANbus. There are no common non-BRP addons that you would put on that have any connection to the CANbus. In fact, I think the only BRP addons that have a CANbus connection are the CB and XM radios. All you have to do is be careful not to cut into any of the CANbus wires.

Get a service manual. It should have a wiring diagram included. At least the ones for 2013 and later do. Go to www.canammanuals.com.

I have picked up a manual and it does have two wiring diagrams for the 2010 and 2011. It's the same one that you recommended above. Great manual. I haven't work a lot with CANbus and don't want to upset that Nanny thing. I come from the old school stuff where you don't have to worry about upsetting a computer and have your bike towed to the dealer. This is the first bike I think I have ever had that I am nervous to work on or add stuff to.

Tim
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrMagicFingers View Post
    I have picked up a manual and it does have two wiring diagrams for the 2010 and 2011. It's the same one that you recommended above. Great manual. I haven't work a lot with CANbus and don't want to upset that Nanny thing. I come from the old school stuff where you don't have to worry about upsetting a computer and have your bike towed to the dealer. This is the first bike I think I have ever had that I am nervous to work on or add stuff to.

Tim
    If you look in the section for the controller area network there should be a diagram that shows what modules communicate with each other over the CANbus. The modules all have various power, signal, ground, and CANbus connections into them. Some, like the wires from the brake switch, are safe to tap into even though they go into the ECM. Another one are the turn signal wires from the cluster module to the turn signal lights as long as you don't tap into them with a wire that potentially could short to ground, like a trailer pigtail.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)