Thread: Front end shake

Spyder Garage

Default Front end shake

I have a 2019 F3 limited, really liking the ride just turned 500 miles on her. I have noticed some shaking or maybe gets a little hanky or loose around 65 just feels weird since this our 1st spyder or even a trike.

is this normal or should I get it looked at

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like the wheels need to be balanced. Or BAd Tires. They been known for shaking.

Take it back and start with a balance.

Was it aligned too?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Sounds like the wheels need to be balanced. Or BAd Tires. They been known for shaking.

Take it back and start with a balance.

Was it aligned too?
    I am not sure it was brand new, I would hope if was alligbed and tires balanced

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Kendas and wheels have been a sore topic on the forum. But cant hurt to have it checked out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mcolabella View Post
    I am not sure it was brand new, I would hope if was alligbed and tires balanced
    Sorry Mcolabella, but the 'factory alignment' is not really great to start with (altho it is MUCH better than it was!) and getting 'good' OE Spec tires that are balanced &/or even able to be balanced is still a bit of a lottery draw (altho they too are MUCH better than they were!!)

Even straight out of the factory, and ESPECIALLY if your dealer says they have aligned it & balanced the tires but they aren't recommended by many here for doing a great job on that sorta stuff (& very few dealers are!) then you'll very likely need to find someone (like Squared Away?!) who can do a good alignment on your Spyder, giving it just enough toe-in to stop it wandering &/or darting all over the place; and if you are lucky enough in the lottery draw that is the OE Spec tires, maybe you can get them balanced properly too! For some, that 'proper alignment & wheel balancing' will fix it! But if you do continue to have the problems you describe after a proper alignment & tire balance (and many do!) you are probably not quite so lucky in the lottery draw of getting good tires, so you may have no other option but to get the front tires replaced!

If you do need to do that and try going with the OE Spec Kendas again, you are running the same 'lottery draw' risk, and so could end up with crappy &/or un-balanceable tires again; while if you choose to go a/mkt & fit similar (but not necessarily identical) sized tires, you will likely need to take the tires off the Spyder yourself and take them to a tire dealer/fitter to fit your auto tires of choice (btw, the rims ARE auto rims, not motorcycle rims!) hopefully someone who has the 'smaller than most' fittings to properly balance them, because it seems that on BRP's insistence, few Can-Am Dealers will fit anything but the OE Crap tires!

However, most who do 'go to the dark side' find that just about any properly fitted & balanced auto tire that meets or exceeds the necessary load & speed ratings will resolve the balance & vibration issues that you are currently experiencing; and (run at the right pressure for your load & use) they are also likely to improve the ride & handling of your Spyder beyond your expectations! And often do it cheaper AND last longer too!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2020 at 04:46 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default tire vibes

with Peter, about the crappy Kenda's .... you might get lucky and still be able to spin balance .... so far I haven't encountered any shop that doesn't have a small CONE for the machine .... If the dealer won't help you , remove the wheels/tires and take them to a shop that does auto/trk tires ... see if they balance, if not the dealer should replace under warranty because ....THEY ARE DEFECTIVE ... you didn't cause it ..... any good auto tire will be OK on the Spyder ... however I recommend the Vredestein Quatrac 5, Conti pro contact is another ..... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

I agree with Mike
    Pull them and have them checked. Cheap insurance!

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

The shaking might be the belt. 60-65 is here it's the worst. Putting an idler arm on it will fix that.

https://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-...ley-lamonster/

to see the pdf
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If it is a tire balance issue, tire bounce should be visible to the rider. Prolonged out of balance usually results in cupping, which can be felt by running a hand over the surface of the tread.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

We aligned a 2020 RT. Still felt weird. Pulled the wheels off, put them on the balancer. Horrible! Skinned off all the weights, rebalanced the wheel. Fixed it! Both wheels needed to be balanced! So, insist the dealer does that. While that is done at the factory, this experience we had tells me that they might just miss it. So, if the dealer does not ride it, it could slip by.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

My 2016 rode like a horse when I bought it with 2,500 miles. Jack up a front tire and spin it. Mine have Flat Spots. If yours have flat spots forget about balancing them. I have two new tires but haven't found time to get them mounted... YET.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    The shaking might be the belt. 60-65 is here it's the worst. Putting an idler arm on it will fix that.

https://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-...ley-lamonster/

to see the pdf
    From the OP , " shaking " is not BELT VIBES , imho ....... Mike