Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What to look for on 2014 - 2017 rt or rts purchase

Hi,
    I'm in New Mexico and a current Goldwing rider though my bike has been down a.while. I am thinking at jumping into the Spyder world and was wondering what to look for in these rigs. Ive never ridden one and not sure of any test ride dealers in my area though I will check. I am leaning toward the 2014 and newer so as to get the 1340 engine and avoid the heat issues I've heard about on the 998 engines. What areas of concern should I look at on these guys ? Miles? I found what appears to be a 2015 RTS for $ 13,500 with 15,500 miles but some conflicting info. He states its a signature series with additional chrome package yet has the rims from the STS I have seen. Another just like it with more miles 39,000 is same price with no claims of chrome etcetera is same price and closer to my location. Any input would be extremely helpful.
    Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hello Chris, The 2014 to 2017 RT, RTS and RTL are all good machines. they all have the 3 cylinder 1330 engine with a 6 speed transmission that come in the manual with a clutch SM6 model and the semi automatic that you shift up and down with a push of a button SE6 model. I would recommend the SE6 model transmission. The 2014 to 2017 have 15 inch wheels up front and are interchangeable with most other models. Some people like the looks of other rims better, many different rim styles to chose from. I think the special edition came with a red seat if I remember right. As far as mileage gos some members here have well over 150,000 miles on their machines, so if you take care of the Spyder it will go a long way. Good Luck Shopping.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We just went through the same process. Limited our search to the same years for pretty much the same reasons.

First one we went to look at was posted by a member here. That was in March, just before "the lockdown", so we had to wait about a month to go back and get it.

The Signature Series or Special Edition or whatever it was called did have pretty much the same rims as the RT-S, but instead of them being all black, they had polished edges. I did not realize that before I sanded the edges of the black rims. I just wanted the look of silver edges on black rims, then somebody here mentioned that's what was on the Special Edition.

In my limited time here, I have noticed that miles don't mean a whole lot, especially if the maintenance has been done. Look for upgrades like a sway bar and some decent tires. Most everything else is just personal taste.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Think there are a few people selling similar in the for sale section on the forum. Less miles and better prices I believe.

Spyder Garage

If you read the Do's and Do Nots sticky you will see that you are going to notice a big difference between a GW, or any other two-wheel bike and a Spyder and getting accustomed to one takes time and miles and is a very individual process. You will immediately notice them if you can find a dealership that will let you test ride; it's the best way. That said, if you expand your search horizon and are willing to travel to ride your new machine home you might be able to expand your list of candidate previously owned Spyders.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

with what others have said .... I wouldn't own a Manual trans Spyder ..... and from the change from two wheels to Spyders is very easy, forget everything you have learned about driving a 2 wheel Mtc .... and think of it as a CAR .... they drive and handle pretty much the same. keep a light grip and test your brakes immed., they are very good at what they do ..... good luck ... keep us posted ....Also the 14 - 15 had the DESS module issue ( failure to function ) .. not a big problem and an easy DIY fix if you need to ( $135.00 part ) ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks all found this guy here , https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/mcy/7153987420.html what do you think ?
    Thanks for the responses.
    Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The post is deleted on craigslist.

Spyder Garage

bummer sold already Was a nice 2015 rts with the blk and red paint tow setup and 15,000 miles for $13500

Spyder Garage

I did find this guy, identical to last one with more miles. https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/m...144389747.html

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Think you can do better. Check Imotorsports they ship too.

Spyder Garage

Yea I checked them, only 4 used spyders and only 1 of them is over 2013. no hurry though Ill sit back and wait till something pops up.
    Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow that's unusual well good luck

Spyder Garage

Thank you

Spyder Garage

Default Selling RT-S

Quote Originally Posted by Transam87020 View Post
    Thank you
    I have a 2014 RT-S SE6 with 15,000 mile in excellent condition for sell. It has the engine and auto transmission that you are looking for. I have a hitch off my 2011, not sure if it works with 2014 model. The color is cognac and is all original. Has had no hick ups or problems except for changing breaking hub/disc or what ever they call it. The price higher however at 15,000 firm.
    Last edited by NU2Spyder; 07-12-2020 at 09:47 PM. Reason: wanted to additional info

Spyder Garage

Three things come to mind.
    Did they have the bushings updated on the windshield according to Service Bulletin?
    Did they have both the DESS module and ignition switch replaced?
    Did they have the Parking Break motor replaced?

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    Three things come to mind.
    Did they have the bushings updated on the windshield according to Service Bulletin?
    Did they have both the DESS module and ignition switch replaced?
    Did they have the Parking Break motor replaced?

AJ
    Hi AJ are those recall items or items that need to be replaced as they are faulty ?

Spyder Garage

Is there still a DESS issue on the 2016 model years ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have not heard of any , but they most likely have the updated Ignition antenna and module installed on them..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Have not heard of any , but they most likely have the updated Ignition antenna and module installed on them..
    So is the antenna and remote available for older models to eliminate the issue ? Kinda Leary of the 04's now.
    Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Transam87020 View Post
    So is the antenna and remote available for older models to eliminate the issue ? Kinda Leary of the 04's now.
    Thanks
    Yes they are available. No all have luck with just replacing the module some have to do both antenna and module per the bulletin. Some just stopped dealing with it and had it disabled.

The 14 are good models some have had the dess issue.
    I been lucky enough that mine does clear when it happens.

Spyder Garage

Would you recommend replacing the DESS module with the newer version to avoid the potential breakdown ? Also what about the windshield bushings mentioned by AJ in the earlier post ? I have found a couple potential rt limited.s we like a red 2016 at imotorsports for $15,999 and 20,000 miles and a 2014 limited for $14,999 with only 2196 miles. Both are make an offer.

Spyder Garage

On the DESS situation. I had 2 times when I got the screen warning and no start. Both well away from home. Being pro-active I replaced the module before being stranded in the middle of no ware Nevada. Yes I had to remove the frunk , but it was worth the peace of mind. I don't think these little electronic black boxes heal themselves.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can replace the module to be pro-active but it may still return at anytime. If you are really worried about it have it disabled by someone that has the ability and has the BUDS to do it for you.

I for one am not really too concerned at this point on my 2014 RT but know it could pop up again until I replace the antenna. My module been replaced 3 times now and dont plan on doing it again. Its either replace the antenna per the bulletin or disable it.

Here is the Bulletin on this topic.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Spyder Garage

I've had my used 2014 RT-S for over a year now and haven't run into this issue. No telling if the PO did anything with the DSS though. I got it through iMotorsports so no history on it.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange