Spyder Garage

Default Spyder purchase ?

Have ridden Goldwings since 1980 had Goldwing trike at one time,not doing well on two wheels anymore. Looking at the Spyders now,not doing the long distance riding now but do like the looks of the RS T(?) bags,trunk,cruise control. I’m wondering if there’s a big difference between the pre 2014(998)units and the later Spylers(1330)for a older rider like myself,2-300 miles would most likely be my range. Do like comfort. �� You all have a wonderful day.

By the way are there any riders in the Aurora,In area who I could talk to about Spyders ?

Spyder Garage

There are lots of opinions on what you asked. I will give the short form.

Big difference between 998 (2 cyl) and 1330 (3 cyl). 998's are no longer made so can be purchased for less. 1330's have less maintenance, virtually no oil burning, and lower revs operation than the 998.

I have owned four 998's and currently have two 1330's. My preference is the 1330.

The old GS/RS 998's did not come with trunks and bags. If you find one like that, it is aftermarket stuff on it. I had two like that, and they were very nice--pre RT. The ST versions were decked out RS's and had various levels of trim.

I would recommend going RT and get the factory "good stuff." There is also an F3 model these days. A bit more streamlined looking that the RT, and many like the styling. I currently have one of each and I like the F3 a bit better. The RT gives you the "couch like" GoldWing ride, and the F3 gives a nice "cruiser" type ride.

Good luck with your hunt. Lots of nice used ones on the site "For Sale" section. Some are at give-away pricing. Use the blue book and you can quickly determine the good deals.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I am in Muncie and have a 2018 Spyder RTS 10th Anniversary edition for sale. See details in the For Sale by Owner section. Here is the link:https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...pecial-Edition I am close enough to you for easy pick up or delivery. Good luck in your search and let me know if you are interested or have any questions I can answer!
    Last edited by Boilermaker; 07-10-2020 at 09:30 AM. Reason: update with link

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Spyder

I have a 2016 RTL and it has been a great Ryde for me. Check out the RTL at your local dealer and do a test ryde. As posted above, the F3 is a possible choice too. Look, Ryde and enjoy your time.
    Good Luck on Your Mission. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I have had a Goldwing trike that I put 40,000 miles on. It did everything Goldwings do, execpt it wasn't fun for me. I bought a 2012 RTL. I now put 50,000+ miles on it and it is fun with a Capital "F". I do still ride long distance. I took it to San Diego in March. I have ridden it to Deadwood 3 Wheeler twice. All over the intermountain west,daily commuter when still working. The VTwin requires more maintenence. More frequent oil changes, a valve adjustment (no small deal). The VTwins are a lot of fun and relatively cheap. The newer 1330 tripples are much less maintence intensive,also fun better fuel mileage ans somewhat more expensive. More money the newer you go. If you go new for the new body and warrenty,get the best deal you can. But get one, you will enjoy it.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

If I were in the market to replace my 2014 RT-S, which I am not, I would have long since made Boilermaker and offer for his Spyder.

You should test ride both RT and F3 model Spyders and make your decision. I personally think you would find the RT very comfortable over the daily mileages you envision riding.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I would Stay with 2015 or later
    Rotax

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone’s for their reply’s,just signed up for a Spyder riding course see if I want one or not.