Thread: Blue Is In!

Spyder Garage

Default Blue Is In!

Over the years I've had a lot of requests for different Sway Bar End Link Colors. I finally added Blue to the current Red and Silver. I've always wanted blue links. But our previous attempts at this color were miserable looking. Blue is supposed to be one of the hardest anodize colors to get right. And I believe it. We kept trying, off and on over time. Going thorough several products and processes before finally hitting on a combination that really looks great! I have not been able to get pictures that really show how good they look. Here is the best I've been able to do so far.

LinksSpyderXSm.jpg
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

, like the blue color. Dale

Spyder Garage

I have a question. As opposed to your original link design, which was flat, your new one has the appearance of a turnbuckle. Does it function like one?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I have a question. As opposed to your original link design, which was flat, your new one has the appearance of a turnbuckle. Does it function like one?
    The 'Flat' or 'Dog Bone' links work very well for almost everyone. 'Almost' being the key word here. The bearings in those links were corrosion resistant. But for those who rode in high salt content environments, the bearings will eventually rust. I've had to replace a few dozen over the years. And, for those customers. It was only a temporary fix because they will continue to ride in the same environment that destroyed the first set of links.

I would like to have simply upgraded the bearings in those original end links. And, if money were no object, I could have done so. But upgrading to the bearings that I wanted would have added about $24.00 (my cost) to each link set. To me, that was a prohibitive cost increase.

I researched this issue over quite some time. I finally came down to the current product which consists of Chromoly rod ends with hardened, heat treated and hard chromed steel ball bearings, in a self lubricating nylon race. These rod ends have a failure loading of nearly 7,000 lbs. (which is a bit hard to believe). But even if these links do not live up to this lofty number. They will never see anything close to this stress level. And I'm somewhat fond of overkill on critical components anyway.

During my search for a Better Mouse Trap, I purchased several different rod end types and designs. I then soaked them in salt brine for 2 weeks, testing for corrosion and rust. Most of them did OK. But these chromoly rod ends not only look really good. They showed absolutely no signs of any rust or corrosion. The centers of my current End Links are aircraft quality, billet aluminum. Anodizing adds some hardness to the surface of the aluminum. And since the inner threads also get anodized, this increases the load bearing capabilities of the aluminum as well. (And you thought I just wanted to make them look pretty!)

The rod ends thread into each end of the aluminum centers like a turnbuckle. But this is just an assembly aspect. It is important that the rod ends not turn once assembled to the correct overall length and rod end head orientation. So, we use Red Loctite on the threads during assembly. Frankly, all of this requires more labor, and the components are a little more expensive than the previous design. I have been able to get the cost down, somewhat, as we get better at assembly and, now that I am sure we are going to stay with this design, I am able to buy components in larger quantities which gives me some volume discount. But the overall cost to me is still higher than the previous Dog Bone pieces.

I am extremely happy with these new end links. They won't actually function any better than the previous Dog Bone design. But it is my hope that they last the life of the vehicle. We'll see about that. But in any event, my sway bar kits come with a lifetime warranty on parts. I don't want someone riding around on a defective sway bar for want of a part they might not be able to afford right away. Fortunately, even with the old Dog Bone links. Warranty replacement over these 11 years or so has been very low.

Customers have asked if these links are adjustable. The answer is no, the are not. Even if you could adjust them, you would not want to. It is important that these links be the correct length, placing the sway bar arms in a horizontal position. Having the Sway Bar arms horizontal allows the sway bar to be at its most efficient angle. Lengthening or shortening the links would move the sway bar away from this ideal orientation, Lengthening the links would also reduce the number of threads engaged with the billet aluminum center. Potentially weakening the assembly. I wanted as much Rod End to Billet Aluminum Center thread engagement as possible. So, the rod ends are pretty close to being bottomed out, you would not be able to shorten them by much.

Also, it is very important that the rod end heads be perfectly aligned with each other. Allowing customer adjustment could compromise this, raising the possibility of damage and eventual failure of a component.

The only reasons to have adjustable links is to 1- Be able to bring the Sway Bar Arms to a horizontal orientation (say you lowered or raised your car/truck ride height significantly). This has already been done with my link sets. And 2- to bias the action of the Sway Bar assembly. For example; if you are racing on a left hand turn only track. You could adjust the end links and bias the sway bar to be much more aggressive (and come in sooner) on left hand turns only. Of course, in doing this, you would be sacrificing any sway bar action in right hand turns. But who cares? You're only turning right leaving pit row. But you would NEVER want to bias a sway bar in this manner for street use.

In short, yes, my current links appear to be adjustable. But appearances can be deceiving, and you don't want to do it anyway.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-10-2020 at 09:00 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that treatise on sway bar design, function, manufacturing and metallurgy. I appreciate your zeal for turning out the best quality product that you can. Knowing a bit about sway bars and their function from my sport car racing days, I had the impression, based on the design, that they were adjustable, when that is not required of a link designed for a specific vehicle.
    It's not a matter of if but when I do get one of your sway bars, would the option of dog bone links be available and would you even advise using them over the new design? I live in a salt free riding environment, so corrosion is not a factor.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

I appreciate a knowledgeable customer. Though I know much of this bores most people. It fascinates me. I guess that's why I'm here. But you're right. I didn't know you were coming from a 'Why are these adjustable' perspective. Which really is the right question since not only do they not need to be adjustable in this application. It would not be good if they were.

Most come to me with the 'Why Not?' question. I don't expect the average person to know much about a sway bar. They look so simple. In reality, they are not. Those who race have a better idea of the complexities associated with suspension in general, and sway bars in particular. So, that's why I wrote a book! Sorry for the verbose rendition. I do get carried away.

Spyder Garage

No apology needed Ron, I enjoyed every word and I'll wager those reading that post know a pot full more about sway bars than they did before.
    There is a sway bar mfr here in Portland - Quickor Garage they call themselves now. I had them install bars on a Triumph TR4, an Alfa Romeo GTV and my business vans because they were loaded with machine parts that raised the C of G. So my sway bar knowledge has some years on it.
    When I brought my first van in to Quickor, they hadn't made one yet for it, so they used my van as a guinea pig and they made one for it then and there, recording all the twists and turns. I had bar #1 for a Dodge one ton van.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    No apology needed Ron, I enjoyed every word and I'll wager those reading that post know a pot full more about sway bars than they did before.
    There is a sway bar mfr here in Portland - Quickor Garage they call themselves now. I had them install bars on a Triumph TR4, an Alfa Romeo GTV and my business vans because they were loaded with machine parts that raised the C of G. So my sway bar knowledge has some years on it.
    You bring up a good point. You don't have to be a Racer Dan to see the benefits of the right sway bar. Thanks for the input!

Spyder Garage

The blue links look great. If they would have been out last month I would have them on my blue Spyder instead of the red ones I got. Oh well it still works great. Thanks Ron.
    2013 RTS
    M2 Shocks
    Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55/15
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 175/55/15
    Viair 97
    2013 RTS , Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Planned on upgrading my 2018 Blue/Chrome RTL Sway Bar this winter but now with the Blue Sway Bar End Links available I just couldn't wait any longer so I just ordered the new kit in BLUE from Spyderpops.
    Great reviews on this Sway Bar upgrade and hoping it will be great for my Spyder also with no regrets.
    "BLUE STAR – She shines so brightly"
    2018 SPYDER RT LTD SE6 BLUE/CHROME
    2018 RTL , Large Brake Pedal (cut 1/3 off). Oxford Blue/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MeudtPG View Post
    Planned on upgrading my 2018 Blue/Chrome RTL Sway Bar this winter but now with the Blue Sway Bar End Links available I just couldn't wait any longer so I just ordered the new kit in BLUE from Spyderpops.
    Great reviews on this Sway Bar upgrade and hoping it will be great for my Spyder also with no regrets.
    Let me know what you think of the blue. It's a new color. Tough nut. But I think we finally cracked it after several tries over the last 2 years. I was almost convinced there would never be a blue. Noting is as easy as I thought it would be.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Let me know what you think of the blue. It's a new color. Tough nut. But I think we finally cracked it after several tries over the last 2 years. I was almost convinced there would never be a blue. Noting is as easy as I thought it would be.
    Here is picture of your NEW blue link matched to my 2018 RTL Oxford Blue Metallic/Chrome spyder.
    For sure you cracked this nut and made it a winner. It matches perfectly!
    Blue BajaRon Link Set.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "BLUE STAR – She shines so brightly"
    2018 SPYDER RT LTD SE6 BLUE/CHROME
    2018 RTL , Large Brake Pedal (cut 1/3 off). Oxford Blue/Chrome

Spyder Garage

How can i order a blue pair from the Uk?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MM20SPY View Post
    I got mine from ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BajaRon-C...0AAOSwb7tezomc
    2017 f3-s daytona , circuit yellow metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MM20SPY View Post
    Email me at fyredad@hotmail.com.

You can get these off of eBay. But I can sell them to you for less if you purchase directly from me and not through eBay. The payment process is the same either way.