Spyder Garage

Default Estimate of time to install various parts

Anyone has an idea as to how long it would take an average DIY'er to install the following BRP OEM parts for a 2018 F3 Limited:

Idler pulley
    Aux lights
    Passenger armrests
    Trailer hitch

If instead of doing it myself, how long would it take (charge) an authorized dealer to do it, my guess:

Idler pulley => 0.25 hours
    Aux lights => 1.0 hour
    Passenger armrests => 1.0 hour
    Trailer hitch => 2.5 hours

In Canada dealers charge about $100 per hour so that may be about $500 CDN. I think I could handle the first three. The hitch scares me a bit.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    Anyone has an idea as to how long it would take an average DIY'er to install the following BRP OEM parts for a 2018 F3 Limited:

Idler pulley
    Aux lights
    Passenger armrests
    Trailer hitch

If instead of doing it myself, how long would it take (charge) an authorized dealer to do it, my guess:

Idler pulley => 0.25 hours
    Aux lights => 1.0 hour
    Passenger armrests => 1.0 hour
    Trailer hitch => 2.5 hours

In Canada dealers charge about $100 per hour so that may be about $500 CDN. I think I could handle the first three. The hitch scares me a bit.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
    The time for the add-on Idler Pulley should be zero ..... if your drive belt tension is about 160lbs ( measured with wheel on the ground ) most people say they don't have vibes .... I don't .... good luck .... Mike ..... Something to think about is .... there have been reports of pulley wheel failure - resulting in the Drive Belt getting damaged ( replace for it for $300.00 + plus any install costs )

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with Mike however if you choose to add a belt tensioner ("idler pulley"), buy the one from LaMonster. He has an updated roller which should (in theory) decrease the possibility of failure. I installed one on my '18 RTL which requires tupperware removal. I don't think an F3 requires that. It took me about 20 minutes. I'm guessing you could install one in about 5 minutes if you don't have remove bodywork. Once you have access, it's 2 bolts.

Judging from LaMonster and Slingmods installation videos, I'd guess 30 minutes on fog lights (you'd think the F3T/L would have come with them). On the trailer hitch, watch Pierres video (aka CASA aka Can Am Spyder Accessories). I think it took him about 30 minutes. It's just pulling the rear axle bolt out. No idea on the armrests. My next Spyder won't have a trunk and I never plan on a passenger so I never worried about arm rests.

Not sure where in Ontario you are but you might contact Pierre to see if he would do the work for you. Probably cheaper than a dealer. I think he's in the GTA.

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

Time wise your about right on the aux lights and armrest.
    Idler I'd say .5 you have to remove left panel.
    Hitch with wiring 1.0 max. It is 1 axel bolt.
    I have the plug and play wiring from Trailer ETC. In Canada. Comes out to 4 pin connector. Only 100 bucks and has trailer short safety for can bus system.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Don't forget that most dealers add an hour (some for each part) to get their cut.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys for all the great input. By the way, I believe Pierre is closer to Montreal than Toronto re GTA.

Cheers to all!

J
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark