Spyder Garage

Default Ryker leaking oil

I purchased my Ryker a couple weeks ago from a dealer who is about an hour and 45 minutes away. Not ideal, but there just aren't too many places in upstate New York that carry these machines....When I got it hope I noticed that it was smoking (burning oil) from underneath the drivers seat. I called the dealer and he mentioned that since this was a 2019 they did an oil change before I picked up the bike and probably topped it off with too much oil. They said it would burn off and nothing to worry about. Well fast forward another 175 miles later and it's still dripping oil and smoking when I come to a stop. Below is a video of at least one spot where the oil is leaking. Any thoughts? Is this just 'too much oil'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7d4MMzMPWo

Should I keep riding it?

Spyder Garage

Have you checked the oil level exactly as instructed in the manual? There is a definite procedure to follow.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you check the dipstick to make sure its tight and oil isn't coming out the fill hole? I'd take it back. That is not normal. Overfilling that engine with oil will blow the motor. If this was caused by the dealer changing the oil then I'd have serious reservations about their ability to any kind of work on the bike.

Spyder Garage

I drove the bike for 10 miles and brought it home and checked the oil within 10 seconds after shutting it down. The oil level showed normal so I'm suspicious that it was overfilled.

Spyder Garage

That much oil spillage is NOT just a minor overfill!! It is absolutely TOO MUCH OIL to be dripping out of a new engine at that rate! I reckon you'd be losing close on a quart of oil every 4-6 hours at least if that 'one big drip every 10 seconds' is a constant drip rate, and you'll be losing more if that's just ONE of a number of leak points!!

If you've checked the oil level and it looks to be OK, then check the tightness on all the filters, fill, & drain points too, including the dipstick; and if they are all tight & sealed then send that vid to your dealer and ask them to arrange a flat-bed pick-up (at their expense) to correct whatever stuff up they made when they 'changed the oil!!'

But that much 'oil drippage' is DEFINITELY NOT GOOD!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Looking at the video my first thought was that they changed the oil and re-used the old oil seal washer. It looks to me like the oil is seeping out around the drain plug.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    Looking at the video my first thought was that they changed the oil and re-used the old oil seal washer. It looks to me like the oil is seeping out around the drain plug.
    I agree with you.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    I agree with you.
    I must be very lucky .... 9 or so oil changes with the same washers and " O " rings ...... Mike

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That is not a drain plug.
    If snugging the Torx head bolt does not completely stop it, the gasket will need to be changed.
    From the video, it is under the right engine bracket and appears to be the oil sump cover.

Attempted to attach photo of drain plugs, but file would not load.
    Link to drain plug photo attached

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...rst-oil-change
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

I appreciate everyone's input. I took it back to the dealer this weekend to address this. I'm probably going to be without a bike for a week or two but there was no avoiding getting this fixed the way I see it. Thanks again!

Spyder Garage

Well the dealer called today and told me it was the drain plug at the top of the engine that was loose and not tightened down properly. According to him there have been a handle full of these issues reported back to Can-Am according to the dealer website. I'm traveling this weekend so I won't be able to get it back until next weekend. Hopefully this fixes the issue, but it seemed like a lot of oil coming out of a small drain plug that wasn't tightened down properly?!

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The steady dripping appeared to be from the location of the bolt that it was dripping from, on the sump cover.
    How far up was the stream of oil?
    Trying to figure out where there would be a "drain plug" "at the top of the engine".
    First diagram is for the opposite (left) side.
    Second is of sump side, but from left side view.

https://www.canampartshouse.com/oemp...system-900-ace
    Attached Images Attached Images
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm guessing the filter housing cover wasn't tightened down?