Spyder Garage

Default Stuck in 2nd gear

My buddy has a 2010 RT and for whatever reason it is stuck in 2nd gear. Does anyone know what you can do to get it out and working again. Thanks

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

If its a semi auto, could be low oil. If its a manual, could be a gear box position sensor for either.

Spyder Garage

Highly likely that the shift lever fell off. It is located on the left side just in front of the driver foot peg or floor board. If you look you will likely see it hanging below the tupperware. Slide it back on the spline shaft. When you have gotten to a safe location take the side panel off and make sure the dot on the shaft lines up with the slot in the lever. Snug up the pinch bolt.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Billybovine's solution will get you home but it may not solve all the problem. Before you put the shift lever back on examine to be sure the splines are not worn. The lever is soft aluminum while the shaft is hard steel. Be prepared to order a new lever to put on. They are about $32.00

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

It turns out that his Spyder was in 2nd gear when the battery went dead. Another buddy of mine who happens to be a mechanic and also owns a Spyder as well went to the road where he was broke down and got it manually put in neutral from underneath. He put in a new battery and reset everything all is good now. It rides fine now.

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Good to know.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rookiespyder View Post
    It turns out that his Spyder was in 2nd gear when the battery went dead. Another buddy of mine who happens to be a mechanic and also owns a Spyder as well went to the road where he was broke down and got it manually put in neutral from underneath. He put in a new battery and reset everything all is good now. It rides fine now.
    Yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaa

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Hello,
    My Friend has a 2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6 that is stuck in 2nd gear. We have checked the oil, put in a new battery, changed the rotation Sensor, and had the reverse sensor tested and it was good. So it won't shift stuck...but if I hold the "R" (reverse) button it flies down the road in 2nd gear, but when I take my finger off the "R" it bogs down. Not sure where to go now, hopefully someone has heard of this. Any help in the matter would be most appreciated.
    -Lizzard
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-10-2022 at 11:47 PM. Reason: off ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzard View Post
    Hello,
    My Friend has a 2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6 that is stuck in 2nd gear. We have checked the oil, put in a new battery, changed the rotation Sensor, and had the reverse sensor tested and it was good. So it won't shift stuck...but if I hold the "R" (reverse) button it flies down the road in 2nd gear, but when I take my finger off the "R" it bogs down. Not sure where to go now, hopefully someone has heard of this. Any help in the matter would be most appreciated.
    -Lizzard
    I know it's a long shot, but is there any chance someone's bent the Reverse Actuator &/or bracket that's hanging down on the
    LHS underneath the bike just ahead of the Cat Converter or Eliminator?? If that's not pulling straight or aligned properly, it might be messing up the selector/Reverse signal in a way that possibly might create this sorta problem??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-10-2022 at 11:52 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I know it's a long shot, but is there any chance someone's bent the Reverse Actuator &/or bracket that's hanging down on the
    LHS underneath the bike just ahead of the Cat Converter or Eliminator?? If that's not pulling straight or aligned properly, it might be messing up the selector/Reverse signal in a way that possibly might create this sorta problem??
    yes I believe that is fine we took it off and went to a CanAm Spyder shop and they tested it and said it was good. I've never heard of the only way to go forward is to hold the "R" in.
    thanks for the quick reply

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rookiespyder View Post
    is it a manual Trans ???
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

Is this a post within a post?
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzard View Post
    Hello,
    -Lizzard
    When I mentioned 'Reverse Actuator' I didn't actually mean a 'sensor' that could be tested, I meant the bracket/solenoid/cable or lever thingy that is down on the LH side of the motor just inboard of your left foot while sitting on the bike. It needs to be aligned correctly & pulling/pushing in a straight line or you won't be able to select &/or change gears. The bracket that holds the solenoid assy can get bent, something you can ONLY truly see while it's on the bike, which means the lack of a straight line push messes with selecting Reverse &/or other gears...... & in this case, it gave up while the bike was in second gear!

But from what you're telling us (altho I'm clearly guessing cos I can't see what it's really doing?! Any chance of posting a pic of the levers/shafts described below?? ) it sorta sounds like the Gear Position Sensor is lying about it really being fully engaged in 2nd gear; or possibly more like the Selector Arm isn't hanging onto the trans selector shaft really well anymore, and when you 'hold the "R" button down' the Reverse Actuator puts just enough extra sideways or indirect pressure on the selector lever & shaft that it 'thinks' it's still got 2nd gear & let's the bike move..... or summat like that?!?

I'd suggest you need to get down on the LHS of the Spyder & look in & up inboard of the left footplate/peg as someone tries to change gear &/or select reverse while the engine's running, watching to see what the selector lever on the shaft sticking out of the side of the box does - the lever may have come off the shaft, leaving the trans stuck in second gear, obvious fix there; but even if the lever is in the right place, moving in a straight push/pull line, AND moving at the correct time, it's quite likely that the spline in the lever (with the supposed tension bolt in it ) isn't gripping enugh to move the shaft at all. n that case, probably in either case, you'll likely need to replace the selector lever - tightening the bolt WILL NOT improve the lever's grip on the shaft, altho a search on 'selector shaft' may show you how some others have fixed this same issue.

BTW, It's probably a good idea to have all the wheels lifted off the ground with the bike on axle stands (muchly preferable to putting it on ramps ) while you're doing this, but you might end up getting some codes &/or Limp Mode if you actually 'drive' the rear wheel & let it spin while it's in the air & the front wheels don't move at the same speed/time - the easy fix for that bit is, once it's safe & or possible, just ride the bike for 30-100 metres or so out then back in order to let the computers know the wheels are now turning at close to the same rate so that the codes/limp mode will be reset.

Over to you. Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    Is this a post within a post?
    Nope - but it MIGHT be a post within a thread, along with all the other 12-14 or so posts in this thread to date. And it might even be something of a development going beyond the OP's post that originated this particular 'Stuck in Second Gear' thread, but it's definitely still on topic, even if it's now discussing a further 'Stuck in Second Gear' question asked by another poster.

However, the only 'posts within a post' here or in any other thread on this Forum (& most other Fora too! ) will be those posts shown as a quote in someone else's post in the same way that your post #12 above is now shown in this post of mine in this thread - which is post #14 of this thread made up of 14# posts so far!

Sorry... she made me do it!

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-12-2022 at 10:32 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Hello,
    yes I will post a picture tomorrow... the spline shaft just rocks back and forth like its looking for neutral... when trying pushing the levers to shift up or down nothing happens. i thought with an Semi automatic it should shift to neutral when the bike is started..
    thanks for all your input
    -Lizzard