Spyder Garage

Default 2020 Spyder RTL - first ride

Hi there!

Just wanted to introduce myself and share my first impression of Spyder RTL.

I've started riding motorcycles since high school, loved it very much, the feel of the open road, freedom. Then I hit the break for a while, and went back to saddle 12 years ago. Mostly I've been riding cruisers, my last one was Yamaha V-Star 1300T, it was a great motorcycle, spent a lot of time riding in Maryland, and then in Texas. However, with age and my health condition (osteoarthritis), the riding becomes more difficult, so I had to par with my V-Star. But the itch of riding never gone. So, I've started exploring other options, and Can-Am Spyder was on the top of my list. It checks out all boxes, and most important one, the passenger's comfort. Finally, I've booked a test drive of 2020 Spyder RTL, and the whole week I've been watching YouTube videos of the owners, educating myself about the machine.

The paperwork for the ride at the dealership was seamless; the Spyder was ready when we arrived there. I liked the cargo space, it does offer a lot of room. Loved big and comfortable seats, in the past, I was swapping stock seats with Mustangs for better comfort during the long rides, and my wife enjoyed the passenger seat a lot. We did a walkthrough, the sales guy explained how to operate, but since I already spent a lot of time on YouTube, so everything was so familiar

The ride. It took a couple of minutes to subdue the muscle memory on my right hand to remember that there is no handbrake and I must use foot brake only! Acceleration was great, so the semi-auto transmission. Got used to handlebar shifter without any issues; apparently, I can downshift as well, didn't know that. Low hanging rearview mirrors was an adjustment for me as well, but not a big deal. The first sharp turn on the street was fun, the grip on this thing is amazing. Did a run on I-35, 75MPH, windshield up, very comfortable! After exiting the ramp, we stuck in traffic, and my knees really appreciated three weels ride, no need to put my feet on the ground. We rode some local streets before we got back to the lot, loved the handling and brakes. My wife was happy after the ride as well, the passenger seat is really comfortable.

So, when we got back, I had a deep personal conversation with the sales guy, and I'm going to pick up my new ride next week
    2020 RTL , Asphalt Grey Metallic

Spyder Garage

Welcome aboard!
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Welcome aboard. All you need now is a heated Comfort seat for rider and passenger. We have one for sale that just came off my wife’s 2020:RTL.

Check the for sale forum.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

and on your purchase. Your going to like it a lot.

Once you get it, post up in the Tally Thread.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-a-new-2020-RT

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

A deep personal conversation - I like that!! Enjoy and then enjoy some more, and welcome to the Spyder crowd.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    A deep personal conversation - I like that!! Enjoy and then enjoy some more, and welcome to the Spyder crowd.
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if they will negotiate, but they did, they met all my demands.

Spyder Garage

Congrats and welcome aboard. Yet another victim of O. L. D. disease. For the same reasons, I myself recently got an older Spyder RTL and sadly sold my Vstar1300T. The good news is my wife took Can-Am training course, which costs $50, and now she can ride the Spyder whereas she couldn't ride the VStar. It's a win win situation for us.
    Cheers
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forum TXGreatRide. I hope you enjoy it. Looks like your in for many miles of smiles with that new RTL, Congarts!! Make sure and post a photo of your new ride when you get it home. Live to Ride, Ride to Live!!
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Howdy, Podnuh.

Congratulations. I'm down the road in Kyle. PM me, we can go riding when the weather cools.

John

Test message.

2016 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Greetings from Jackson, MS

My story is much the same, Rupp mini bikes since age 6 or 7 mainly harley's until 4 years ago when 2nd broke back and other issues forced going to Honda Trike. Fuel economy was poor and comfort just okay. My VA doctors have advised me losing feeling in right hand so the RT Limited has many advantages. Took mama for a test ride last week, we pick our Caulk Whote Dark one up Saturday.
    2020 RT LIMITED (Dark) , Caulk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome Mike, I've owned the 2020 chalk white, dark about 5 months nwt, a very enjoyable ride. Like you, I rode a GW RoadSmith conversion for a number of years but the RTL sure gets my vote. As an aside, I live in FL, I see you are Jackson MS, my deceased wife is buried in Morton, not far from Jackson. I try and visit her grave site every few years, so if I get up that way I'll post on SpyderLovers maybe we can hook up for a ride.

Spyder Garage

Good luck ad have fun!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChapMikeM25 View Post
    Greetings from Jackson, MS

My story is much the same, Rupp mini bikes since age 6 or 7 mainly harley's until 4 years ago when 2nd broke back and other issues forced going to Honda Trike. Fuel economy was poor and comfort just okay. My VA doctors have advised me losing feeling in right hand so the RT Limited has many advantages. Took mama for a test ride last week, we pick our Caulk Whote Dark one up Saturday.
    I think you will love it. You will find me riding all over the area on a Phoenix Orange RTL. Have to get together some time. If you are getting the one at Jackson Powersports I may see you out there as I normally stop in on Saturdays.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Air Force PAO View Post
    Howdy, Podnuh.

Congratulations. I'm down the road in Kyle. PM me, we can go riding when the weather cools.

John
    Hi John, thanks!

Absolutely! I'm actually in Driftwood, TX, very close to Kyle. Love Hill Country!

Spyder Garage

Welcome from Jacksonville Arkansas
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Congrats! We brought our 2020 RTL home a couple of weeks ago. I owned a V-Star 1300T a few years ago - great bike. But then I went from cruisers to more upright seating on a couple of BMWs. When my wife and I decided it was time to get off two wheels, we started exploring the Can-Ams. We had joked about that 10 years ago: "When we get too old to want to ride a motorcycle, we can always get a Can-Am." And here we are. I wasn't quite ready to give up my BMW, but this way we can still ride together. Hoping to get another 10 years and lots of adventures on the Can-Am before we're done. Be safe, have fun!
    2020 Limited , Red

Spyder Garage

Got my new ride home today! Now I'm proud owner of 2020 Spyder RTL. The ride home (45 miles) was such a pleasure! 20200715_103035.jpg

Spyder Garage

Congratulations and welcome! I bought a 2020 RTL this year also, traded my 2013 RTL. A huge improvement!

Spyder Garage

If anyone wonders about the purchase price, I've settled on $25,499.00. Applied $1000 credit and negotiated a bit.
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RTL
    2009 Yamaha V-Star 1300T (sold)
    2007 Yamaha V-Star 650 (sold)

"I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could!"

Spyder Garage

200 miles and I love it. Getting used to drive it, excellent handling in the corners, a lot of power! Did run to Stonewall, TX on 290, cruise control was amazing!
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RTL
    2009 Yamaha V-Star 1300T (sold)
    2007 Yamaha V-Star 650 (sold)

"I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could!"