Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Glove box cover won't pop open - any ideas?

2015 RTL glove box cover no longer pops up or "springs" open when you push down to open it. You have to stick your fingers in the crack and lift it to open it.
    Does anyone know if there are any adjustments on this, or what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance for any help or information you might have.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    2015 RTL glove box cover no longer pops up or "springs" open when you push down to open it. You have to stick your fingers in the crack and lift it to open it.
    Does anyone know if there are any adjustments on this, or what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance for any help or information you might have.
    So it does un-lock ??? ... you can go to .. cheapcycleparts.com and look at the Fiche' to see how that area is put together.... on my 14RT it opens fine but the " hold it up " feature has pretty much stopped " holding it up " ..... It appears a fair amount of tupperware has to be removed to get into the " guts "..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks, yes it is unlocked, the lock / unlock still works. First the hold up feature stopped, now you push it and cant tell if it is open or not, so you have to pull on it, sometimes it is unlatched, sometimes it is not.
    The bad part is that by not being able to tell if it is latched, I put things in it, turn the bars and lock it when we stop, and come back to find it wasn't latched and anyone could have gotten into it. I didnt know it it was a spring in the latch that pushed it up, or something on the glove box arms.

Thanks for the tip, I will go to Cheap cycle parts and see what I can find.

Spyder Garage

Blueknight, thanks for the ideas. glove box spring.JPG
    Looks like there are 2 springs. (number 242) Also looks like they might be a pain to get at but I will see.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    Thanks, yes it is unlocked, the lock / unlock still works. First the hold up feature stopped, now you push it and cant tell if it is open or not, so you have to pull on it, sometimes it is unlatched, sometimes it is not.
    The bad part is that by not being able to tell if it is latched, I put things in it, turn the bars and lock it when we stop, and come back to find it wasn't latched and anyone could have gotten into it. I didnt know it it was a spring in the latch that pushed it up, or something on the glove box arms.

Thanks for the tip, I will go to Cheap cycle parts and see what I can find.
    First I would use a dry spray lubricant on the latch mechanism ... like silicone .... you could also add a small piece of foam near the latch ( but not on the gasket ) area to provide a small amount of lift..... As I said I also have an issue with the cover, and was trying to figure a way of increasing the spring pressure .... but I'm not going to attempt at this point due to all the tupperware ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

As Mike says, try some spray lubricant. My glove box cover has become a git balky over time and I have twice sprayed just a tiny spritz of WD40 into the latch mechanism and it freed up immediately. When is the next time I'll have to spray again? Dunno, but it's been working fine under the last spritz for a couple of years.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Just a bit of clarity on LUBRICANTS ..... WD-40 isn't really a lubricant, it's closer to something like " liquid wrench " or other " rusty nut & bolt " breakers.... once they dry / evaporate etc. they will stop lubricating ..... that's why I mentioned " dry silicone " or there are Graphite sprays that work well ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the help guys!!
    I had some water resistant silicon spray that I tried. I sprayed it, then worked in quite a few times, sprayed it again, and now it is latching and releasing.
    After I am back from vacation I might try replacing the springs.

Spyder Garage

Great! Keep that can of silicone handy and don't waste your time digging into that glove box system to replace springs that may not need replacing. I'll use silicone spray the next time too -- when I need it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S