Spyder Garage

Spyder Another Muffler Thread

I would really like more sound out of my RTL, but the aftermarket options are waaaay too expensive for me. I have a friend that took off his muffler (left the CAT) and put on essentially a straight pipe. It actually sounds pretty good without being too loud. Are there any problems that might arise from this setup? Just wanted to get some opinions before I try something similar.
    2019 RT Limited
    Floating Pegs
    Cushioned Grips
    Shorty Antenna
    Show Chrome Rider Backrest

Spyder Garage

For me, I simply decided I the quiet exhaust was a good change of pace.

My other vehicle is a 1999 Roadstar with a V&H 2->1 propipe. If the V-Twin shakin' don't get to ya, at least the pro-pipe will pop your eardrums...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you anywhere near the north-east or north-central part of Arkansas?
    If you are, can you wait at least three weeks before you do that?

I'm going to be in the area in a couple of weeks and would appreciate the quiet.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I replaced the cat with an RLS delete pipe and noticed the ever so slight change in sound. I decided to get a Two Brothers and now I have a nice rumble. I'm also using the DB killer. It's around 80 decibels.

2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TubaSpyder View Post
    I would really like more sound out of my RTL, but the aftermarket options are waaaay too expensive for me. I have a friend that took off his muffler (left the CAT) and put on essentially a straight pipe. It actually sounds pretty good without being too loud. Are there any problems that might arise from this setup? Just wanted to get some opinions before I try something similar.
    Go the other way - lose the Cat, keep the OE Muffler!

It 'fattens up' the sound quite nicely, makes it 'meatier' if you like, without becoming obtrusively (or obnoxiously ) loud, and it'll improve the low & mid-range response & fuel economy on most Spyders too!

And if you REALLY want to take advantage of the weight savings & 'de-strangulation' of the engine that you get with losing the Cat, you can then get the ECU Upgraded and set your Spyder FREE!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well a straight pipe is going to have " zero " back pressure, imho I think that could cause issues ..... Good luck ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

he is getting back pressure at the cat p. s. i agree with peter put the rls cat delete on

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Are there any problems that might arise from this setup?" Yes! Hearing aids at age 50 will run you about $3k. That's for the good ones. And you thought after market options were waaaay too expensive.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Yes! Hearing aids at age 50 will run you about $3k. That's for the good ones. And you thought after market options were waaaay too expensive.
    I. Didn’t get mine until I was in my 60’s, and have found that it isn’t just 3 grand and your done forever. Technology changes. So far I’ve spent close to 8,000 dollars, and I’m quite sure that I’ll probably spend more for newer and better.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I put a RLS muffler (RT Crusher $500) and left the cat alone. Gave it a nice growl that I wouldn't want it any louder. One of my riding buddies did the cat delete and can am's akrapovic muffler ($1000 + cat delete pipe) and they sound very similar. I'm only going on sound but thats all I wanted.
    Tried to post a picture but failed to upload 3 TIMES.
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Got it.

IMG_7196.jpg
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    he is getting back pressure at the cat p. s. i agree with peter put the rls cat delete on
    Yes He is ..... don't you think the OEM muffler has backpressure also ????? .... Mike

Spyder Garage

RLS cat delete with stock muffler = nice, even, throaty sound. Some say they replace the stock muffler to lose weight. I ain't gonna be lifting my Spyder and if I want my bike to be lighter, I can lose body weight. Come to think of it, I did lose about 25 pounds since last November. The bad news is, my pants are now too large.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    RLS cat delete with stock muffler = nice, even, throaty sound. Some say they replace the stock muffler to lose weight. I ain't gonna be lifting my Spyder and if I want my bike to be lighter, I can lose body weight. Come to think of it, I did lose about 25 pounds since last November. The bad news is, my pants are now too large.
    That's not a bad thing!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    "Are there any problems that might arise from this setup?" Yes! Hearing aids at age 50 will run you about $3k. That's for the good ones. And you thought after market options were waaaay too expensive.
    Too late for that. I need hearing aids already after directing bands for 23 years.
    2019 RT Limited
    Floating Pegs
    Cushioned Grips
    Shorty Antenna
    Show Chrome Rider Backrest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't like high jacking another guy's thread, but this poor fellow's post as gone from hearing aids (my fault) to weight loss. LOL Maybe we need to start a geezer thread. Anyway I've been down the exhaust mod road on many of my rides, including the spyder. From stock to ear cracking straight pipe. $$$$ all down the drain. I've settled on stock muffler with screen baffled cat delete pipe for best all around options. Next move will be stage 2. Should have done that long ago and saved time and money.