Spyder Garage

Default Frustrated!! Limp Home Mode & EC warning, Spyder at the dealers!

On the way home from the dentist this morning, stopped to get a bagel. Came out to start the Spyder, it cranked for far longer than normal before starting. Then, the dreaded LIMP HOME MODE pops up, along with a small green window that said "EC". Got it towed to the dealer, service writer said that "EC" was Electronic Communication. As we all know, there are probably dozens of reasons for Limp Mode, some not so bad, some really bad. And of course, my BEST warranty ran out last month. This dealer has a great relationship with BRP as their sales volume of BRP products (not Ski Doos) is huge. During the front sprocket recall they got a very large number of the new sprockets last November. They said that depending on what the severity of the problem turns out to be, they would open a "Goodwill Case" with BRP since the Spyder is only one month out of warranty. Wish Me luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-29-2023 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    On the way home from the dentist this morning, stopped to get a bagel. Came out to start the Spyder, it cranked for far longer than normal before starting. Then, the dreaded LIMP HOME MODE pops up, along with a small green window that said "EC". Got it towed to the dealer, service writer said that "EC" was Electronic Communication. As we all know, there are probably dozens of reasons for Limp Mode, some not so bad, some really bad. And of course, my BEST warranty ran out last month. This dealer has a great relationship with BRP as their sales volume of BRP products (not Ski Doos) is huge. During the front sprocket recall they got a very large number of the new sprockets last November. They said that depending on what the severity of the problem turns out to be, they would open a "Goodwill Case" with BRP since the Spyder is only one month out of warranty. Wish Me luck!
    IMHO " Limp Home " isn't necessarily the end of the world ..... Currently my 14 RT is flashing the orange Limp Home screen almost every time I ride. .... this began back in May, it's related to a P-0171 code, the interesting thing is my MPG's have gone up 2 gals. consistently.... I'm down right ANAL about the amount of gas I put in the tank. Oh PS the bike runs the same as it did before this was occurring. .... You said the bike didn't start as normal .... I would make sure all your connections are tight & add Star washers if you haven't already ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-30-2023 at 10:32 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO " Limp Home " isn't necessarily the end of the world ..... Currently my 14 RT is flashing the orange Limp Home screen almost every time I ride. .... this began back in May, it's related to a P-1077 code, the interesting thing is my MPG's have gone up 2 gals. consistently.... I'm down right ANAL about the amount of gas I put in the tank. Oh PS the bike runs the same as it did before this was occurring. .... You said the bike didn't start as normal .... I would make sure all your connections are tight & add Star washers if you haven't already ..... Mike
    I agree with Mike. Not that you should ride around with a Limp Home light flashing. But that your issue could very well be battery related. At least this is a very good place to start and one of the cheapest, easiest fixes on the list. Bad ground, dead or dying cell, etc. All more than able to send the ECU into orbit.

My initial question would be. And hopefully the dealership asked too. Is how did it crank? I know it took longer to start. But was it slower or less energetic than usual? If voltage drops below about 11v. (Much higher voltage than most machines will tolerate). Things can get ugly. The Spyder is extremely voltage sensitive. Not sure why BRP designed it this way. But it is always a Go To factor.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

They were able to check it today - woohoo! - it's the camshaft positioning sensor. $80.00 for the sensor, $.79 cents for the gasket, $300.00 labor, plus tax, etc. BRP basically told the dealer that I should go **** myself as far as getting a goodwill repair. Seems that they have a long memory, as I tortured them for almost 5 years when I had the "White Elephant", a 2013 RTL, that would break down pretty much every time we would take off on a day trip. At one point , I looked through all of the service invoices, tallied up the days it spent at a dealer, and it totaled up to an astounding 345 days - almost 1 year out of the 5 years that I owned it. Anyway, this is the first significant money I will have spent on this bike as far as repairs go in 5 years (bought it in July 2018). So all in all, I'm really not unhappy. Could have been worse.

Mike - about the battery - I replaced the original about 6 months ago, and yes I did use star washers.

Ron - the bike cranked normally, not any faster or slower than usual. Just took a lot longer for it to start. And the dealer did ask that question. Also, the new swaybar is great.

Thanks for the help guys!!
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 08-29-2023 at 07:52 PM.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

They were able to check it today - woohoo! - it's the camshaft positioning sensor. $80.00 for the sensor, $.79 cents for the gasket, $300.00 labor, plus tax, etc. BRP basically told the dealer that I should go **** myself as far as getting a goodwill repair. Seems that they have a long memory, as I tortured them for almost 5 years when I had the "White Elephant", a 2013 RTL, that would break down pretty much every time we would take off on a day trip. At one point , I looked through all of the service invoices, tallied up the days it spent at a dealer, and it totaled up to an astounding 345 days - almost 1 year out of the 5 years that I owned it. Anyway, this is the first significant money I will have spent on this bike as far as repairs go in 5 years (bought it in July 2018). So all in all, I'm really not unhappy. Could have been worse.

Mike - about the battery - I replaced the original about 6 months ago, and yes I did use star washers.

Ron - the bike cranked normally, not any faster or slower than usual. Just took a lot longer for it to start. And the dealer did ask that question. Also, the new swaybar is great.

OK. so wrong diagnosis. But still very good news. Should be back on the road shortly.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question

I'm puzzled by the
    small green window that said "EC"
    symptom. I never read about this window before and it points more towards CANBUS than CAPS sensor. Curious...
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Funny thing.... I had that part go bad on my 2015 F3S and had limp mode flashing when I looked at the dash to get the time (was running later than expected, detours ya know ;-) ) and the funny part is, I was doing 92mph at the time and the bike was running perfectly!! Go figure...

I did the R&R myself and was only out the 80.00 part... WHEW!!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

I was doing 92mph at the time and the bike was running perfectly!! Go figure...
    I figure the ECM was using a combination of CPS and MAPS signals to derive an adequate approximation of the camshaft position allowing continued engine operation. The BRP/Bosch ECM and TCM are very capable devices with very capable firmware.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike