Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT Limited Rear Suspension - Fault Warning?'

I just purchased my 2020 RT Limited approximately 2 weeks ago. This is a blast to ride, my wife and I love it. But I've also noticed that the rear suspension does not seem to move whatsoever, it's very stiff. It feels like it's stuck in one position. I've only heard the compressor one time and that was on one of my first rides. I get "suspension fault" warnings fairly often. I have an appointment to take it to the dealer in a few weeks. My question is, is there anything I may be able to look at in the mean time that will improve the ride? I wonder if something was not connected properly when the dealership put it together or if the compressor just failed. Thank you..

Spyder Garage

You might want to take a look at this video. Sounds like a similar problem and this guy is a master Spyder tech.
    https://youtu.be/K1rL8R-WHl0
    2020 Spyder RT Limited in Deep Marsala Dark

Spyder Garage

Very good video, thank you..the video describes exactly what I was feeling while riding. Now if I can just figure out how to connect the Ride Height Sensor helm joint to the swing arm, I'll give it a shot myself.

Spyder Garage

A big thank you to packerfan for forwarding the above video. I was able to connect the Ride Height Sensor and it made all the difference in the world. The compressor released air from the bag and the ride was absolutely perfect. No more "Suspension Fault" warnings either.

Spyder Garage

WOW, ride height arm NOT connected on a brand new 2020 from dealership...…………………….
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Finally got to the dealer to have them look at the rear suspension. They took it for a ride and said definitely a problem. The rod that is used with the auto-air sensor was laying outside the sensor. So the bike thought I had a passenger and was fully loaded in the cargo bins. He realigned the rod and now the bike feels like it is suppose to feel. Thanks to everyone who commented on my post.
    W5MWI

USN Vet - RM1
    Member: VFW & American Legion

2020 Spyder RT-L - Jupiter Metallic Blue Chrome

Spyder Garage

Picked up my 2020 Spyder RT Limited yesterday from a dealer in Florida yesterday. Had a suspension fault warning/light on the 50 mile ride home. When I got home and shut off the bike, then turned it back on, the warning light went off. However, the rear suspension just did not feel right. So, I found this thread, watched the video and lo and behold, the connection rod/arm is not connected to the swing arm. After temporarily connecting the rod, there is still no air going in the bladder. I wonder if the air compressor wasn't connected as well. No happy about this situation at the moment! Especially after the bike was PDI'ed and test drove prior to delivery. Oh and I got 12 miles from the dealership and a check engine light came on. Went back to the dealer and they cleared the code for low voltage because the battery was dead on the sales floor. Not the first impression I was hoping for buying a brand new Spyder. Hopefully they can fix the issue and get everything back working.

Spyder Garage

You'll have to start it and put in it first gear and the suspension will adjust itself.
    Has to be running and in first gear period. Either hear air come out or the compressor will kick on.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I’ll check that out. We did put it 1st gear, but had the parking break on, which may have made a difference

Spyder Garage

I've noticed on quite a few Spyders now that if there is NO air pressure in the bag to start with, then most of the ACS installations I've been asked to look at will show an error or an orange 'MANUAL' on the dash and won't work until you add at least about 5psi....

This ACS system our Spyders have is a great concept; there's even some good engineering thought that's gone into designing these things - but here we have yet again another example of BRP stuffing up the execution!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter! I installed the correct bolt in the arm, put 10psi in the bladder via the schrader valve under the seat, started it up and put it in 1st gear. The compressor kicked on and filled the bladder. Rides much better with the rear suspension working like it should!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    WOW, ride height arm NOT connected on a brand new 2020 from dealership...…………………….
    There have been other reports, too many IMO, of dealerships failing to connect it on initial set up. Terrible technician training at multiple dealerships.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I too have a new 2020 RT Limited. 8 miles from the dealer I got a Suspension fault warning. Ride was smooth and comfortable but was a little soft and did bottom out a couple of times. I took it back to the dealer and they, of course, could not get it to trip the fault.
    I have now owned the bike for a month now and I sm still getting the fault. 2 days ago I manually added air to the system using the valve under the seat. It raised the bike to a much more comfortable level and the ride is much better. However, I still get a suspension fault, and to my knowledge have never heard the compressor turn on, but I don't know what to listen for. I checked the helm joint and it is connected to the swing arm. Everything seems to be in place including the circuit breaker and relay. Any ideas???

On a side note my dealer claims they have started a case with Can Am to get it figured out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kweaver View Post
    I too have a new 2020 RT Limited. 8 miles from the dealer I got a Suspension fault warning. Ride was smooth and comfortable but was a little soft and did bottom out a couple of times. I took it back to the dealer and they, of course, could not get it to trip the fault.
    I have now owned the bike for a month now and I sm still getting the fault. 2 days ago I manually added air to the system using the valve under the seat. It raised the bike to a much more comfortable level and the ride is much better. However, I still get a suspension fault, and to my knowledge have never heard the compressor turn on, but I don't know what to listen for. I checked the helm joint and it is connected to the swing arm. Everything seems to be in place including the circuit breaker and relay. Any ideas???

On a side note my dealer claims they have started a case with Can Am to get it figured out.
    Update to my situation, the dealer still has not responded to my requests for status update of my case number with CanAm three weeks after they said they started a case. Today I called another dealer (same company different location) they said they have 2 very qualified mechanics and to bring it in tomorrow and by tomorrow afternoon they will have it figured out. I hope they are better then my first experience.

Spyder Garage

That system is a wonderful system when it's working, and give a wonderful ride, but when it starts to act up or is not working at all, it sucks!!! For the money and the hassle when your out of warrantee, and your tired of messing with it, go to a manual fill set up! You'll find that it's really a set it, and forget it system, and once you get the air pressure set for your liking, it's one less thing to fret about. The thing that's really is hard to believe is all the people that are getting new rides that are seeing this problem with not having there bike set up for them, before they pick them up!!! WOW Would give a guy a real warm and fuzzy feeling about there dealer right from the start after spending all that coin!!! Good luck guy's, hope you get it straight!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

The new dealer has found the code and was able to make appear on their test ride. They say it is due to the computer timing out waiting for a response from the sensor and or other devices on the suspension system not responding. They then told me my 2020 RT Limited was not equipped with an air compressor. I asked if that was usual and he could not answer me, just responded my bike does not. Do all Spyder RT Limited's have the auto air suspension with the compressor?

Spyder Garage

Sure you have a Limited?

If so, then at least one of them made it out of the factory without all its standard equipment.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Reading this makes me want to forgo the 2020 RTL...should I make sure that this issue has been done before I purchase?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kweaver View Post
    The new dealer has found the code and was able to make appear on their test ride. They say it is due to the computer timing out waiting for a response from the sensor and or other devices on the suspension system not responding. They then told me my 2020 RT Limited was not equipped with an air compressor. I asked if that was usual and he could not answer me, just responded my bike does not. Do all Spyder RT Limited's have the auto air suspension with the compressor?
    Is the dealer going to install all the missing equipment? Something is very strange here.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brny67 View Post
    Reading this makes me want to forgo the 2020 RTL...should I make sure that this issue has been done before I purchase?
    If you want to do a quick test, raise the seat, take the cap off the schrader valve and let the air out.............the rear will drop several inches. Replace the cap, lower the seat, crank it up and put it in gear. Did the rear raise up a few inches? No.................... get off and make sure it's a limited model. If yes, go grab the dealer and make them fix it.

Spyder Garage

I bought a new 2021 Spyder RT Limited a few months ago.

Threw code C210A for the rear suspension on the way home.

Went back a few times, they discovered the rear linkage was not connected during the PDI.

Threw the code again on the way home.

Took it back, they replaced the rear ride height sensor.

Took it back, they found the Schrader valve leaking.

Took it back, they found an air leak.

Awaiting news as to what BRP say they are going to do next.

Only happens when I'm on the freeway at over 65 mph. Doesn't happen, even 2 up, on surface streets or in the canyons even. Doesn't happen for the dealer's tech as I assume he is lighter than my 240 lbs.

I'll call them again tomorrow. I'm a really mellow person and quite tolerant of what appears to be a difficult problem to solve, but even I am getting tired of the round trips to the dealer.

I guess the only things left are BUDS setting the correct height parameters, which I hope they would have checked by now, the compressor, or some lack of reliable communications with the suspension sensors to the main computer. I tend to rule out the latter due to the circumstances that cause it to throw a code, but you never know.

So, anybody have any ideas. I'm at a loss and wanting it to get fixed before the snow comes.
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

It sounds like you have a good one there, sorry to hear!!! I whole problem with this system is the first thing you have to do is to make sure that you don't have any leaks in the system at all, that will make your pump work over time, because if it's aloud to over run it will burn up the pump after a while! It kind of sounds like you may have a electrical gremlin in there some where, or just a calibration problem!! Thank God it's covered, and after it's all fixed hopefully, you'll have miles of smiles! This system is nice when it's working right, but it would nice if BRP would just put the manual fill on there bikes and give it up on the self adjust unit! My compressor went three years ago and I gutted it and went straight from bag to Shrader, it has worked great for me ever since! But you on the other hand have a new bike that should give you a few years of flawless operation, make BRP fix there mess!!! Good Luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

It's a bit irritating. My prior Triumph Trophy TTSE had a really usable electronic suspension control systems that worked really well, so it can be done. OK, so that thing calibrated itself when you started off, not dynamically on the road, but it worked really well. It even had a really nice tire pressure sensing system which I must admit I miss on an expensive touring machine.

I have a Range Rover Sport that has height adjustable on the fly air suspension system and even thing that has been very reliable so far. I must have used up all my luck points with that vehicle. If your Land Rover is more reliable than your other vehicles, that's sad.

Thanks for the sympathy.
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

I tried an experiment today. I measured the air pressure in the rear suspension at the Schrader valve under the seat.

It read about 43 PSI. So I wondered, that's probably the right pressure from when I road back from the last visit to the dealer a couple of days ago.

So I let the air out down to about 20 PSI. If the compressor is doing anything at all it should restore the pressure back to something like that when it restarts operation.

I started the bike with my foot on the brake, unlocked the parking brake and put it into gear.

Turning up my hearing aids I can hear the compressor starting, then running and running and running. It goes like this, never stopping. It doesn't seem to raise the bike but that might not be enough to notice.

I turned the engine off and it stops. Now I check the pressure in the suspension system again. It is back at 42 PSI. Well that's a positive at least.

So I know.

1. The dealer attached the leveling mechanism.
    2. The dealer replaced the ride high sensor.
    3. The dealer fixed the Schrader valve leak.
    4. The dealer fixed the air leak.
    5. The system seems to hold air at about 42 PSI for my weight.
    6. The compressor doesn't stop running when it gets to 42 PSI.
    7. One or two up everything is fine at surface street speeds.
    8. I get C210A errors at freeway speeds, I think when it loads and unloads over surface undulations.

So I am guessing.

1. There is no air leak as the system holds pressure for days.
    2. The compressor keeps running when I start the bike, in gear and the parking brake off. Odd.
    3. The overflow valve must be working as even with the compressor running the air pressure doesn't exceed 42 PSI with my 240 lbs on it.
    4. The suspension trips the fault when the bike loads up or unloads over the undulations in the freeway at higher rates of speeds, one up or two up.
    5. Either the compressor has problems keeping the pressure above 42 PSI, or the suspension limits are not calibrated correctly and the long undulations on the freeway cause the suspension to unload long enough to trigger it.
    6. I don't think it is suspension loading up as two up on surface streets it is fine. Perhaps it happens as it tops out on the rebound at speed.

So two issues, why does it trigger the code when it unloads the suspension (BUDS calibration issue?) and why does the compressor continually run (compressor fault or outflow valve not holding higher levels of pressure?).

Well its back to the dealer next week and see what they have to say again. I must admit I'm beginning to get a little sorry about this as I'm missing the unusually fine riding weather.
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

I bought a New Spyder RTL in September 2021. Immediately "Suspension Fault" message. Took it back to the Dealer who got a case open from BRP. Kept it a month, replaced the valve and the instrument cluster (don't ask why) and other parts. To make a long story short I have not ridden it that I don't get this code. This week I'm headed back to the dealer for the 4th time since purchase with the same problem. The weather's bad here in Oregon so they will see the bike on every message I see while riding. After 4 times Its either a Lemmon or no one there is capable of fixing the problem. Sounds like a BRP engineering Ideal that didn't work.