Spyder Garage

Default 600 mile service

When I picked up my 2020 RTL last Friday, was told that the first service recommended by dealer is 600 miles. I immediately questioned the salesman as to why since owners manual clearly states 3000 miles. His response is "that is what we recommend". Is there an actual service to be performed at the 600 mile interval? I wish to keep my ryde in the best running condition and plan to do most services myself, following all requirements to keep warranty intact. Any information is appreciated. TIA Matthew

2020 Petrol Blue RTL Dark

May the wind be at your back and keep 3 on the ground!

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the dealership is wanting more of your money. First service is at 3000 miles on all 1330 engines

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    Sounds like the dealership is wanting more of your money. First service is at 3000 miles on all 1330 engines
    ..... This appears to be the FIRST sign of a less than honorable dealer .... be forewarned things will probably get worse in the future ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Step 1: Ask the dealership to show you the written BRP recommendation that your first service is 600 miles. Step 2: find another dealership.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Around 1,000 miles is a good time to check over fasteners, especially battery cables.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just another dealer that wants to charge additional money that you do not need to pay. Now if the dealer says the service is free, go for it!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

We have seen this kind of post in the past, and I say that if that dealership wants to change the oil and give the bike a once over a 600 miles they may have had a issue in the past and feel better about doing this for what they feel a good reason! It's just oil and a couple filters, and we all know that when they build these motors there's a lot of small filings that some times don't get washed out before assembly! All you need is one of those pieces of metal to rest in the wrong spot and there go's a nice motor! I bought a new tractor last year, they said to change the fluids at 25 hrs of use, then 500 hrs after that. Well when I dumped the tyranny fluid and took the filter out I say why they said 25, there was a crap load of fillings and caulk and crap in there I couldn't believe my eye's, thank god there was a magnet in that screen catching that crap! So like I said, for a little oil and couple filters is a no brainer in my book!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I agree that the first service is at 3000 miles on the 1330 engines, but I don't agree that a dealer who recommends the service sooner, in this case, at 600 miles is necessarily a bad dealer you should run from. To the dealers' credit he stated that is their recommendation, which one may follow or not. In either case your warranty is still valid.
    I liken this to the car dealer I use for service. They recommend an oil change at 5000 miles, the owners' manual states "“Change Engine Oil Soon” will display on your dashboard when it is time to change your engine oil and filter." This does not make me want to find another dealer, I make my decisions based on what the manufacturer requirements are to stay in compliance with the warranty. If I want to change the oil sooner on any of my vehicles that is my decision.

Spyder Garage

Another card on the pile for no 600 mile service. That is a carry over from the days of the 998 twin cylinder engine.

Another card on the pile for a red flag on the dealer. Either very greedy or very stupid. Either way...buyer beware.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Why would he not recommend a 600 mile service, that is and easy couple hundred dishonest dollars. Go by the manual, the engineers say 3000 miles.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

That's a good waste of 5qts of oil and filter.. see you in 3k miles..enjoy the ryde!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Very Early ...First service

What I said above had more to do with what the Dealer was claiming ..... that said, when I bought my new 2014 RT in Ill., I drove it home judiciously, about 1400 miles , and immediately changed the oil and filter. Because I did myself it only cost me $35.00 or so. .... Why did I do it ???? .... because as someone above pointed out that the first Oil change is going to have the most DEBRIS in it, metallic and other things ....... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mjtools View Post
    When I picked up my 2020 RTL last Friday, was told that the first service recommended by dealer is 600 miles. I immediately questioned the salesman as to why since owners manual clearly states 3000 miles. His response is "that is what we recommend". Is there an actual service to be performed at the 600 mile interval? I wish to keep my ryde in the best running condition and plan to do most services myself, following all requirements to keep warranty intact. Any information is appreciated. TIA Matthew
    When my wife picked up her 2020 RTL, the service manager told her she would see her back at 600 miles for the first service.

I called the manager to check because I saw a posting on here that first service was due at 3,000 miles. The manager noted that 3,000 was correct but that since we had a service agreement, she would feel more comfortable at 600-1,000 miles in view of the comments posted above. Since no cost was involved, we agreed to bring it in at our convenience. I like the fact that the dealer appears to be proactive rather than reactive.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

If you don't mind sharing, What was the cost of the service agreement?
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    If you don't mind sharing, What was the cost of the service agreement?
    The five year agreement covers all factory recommended servicing excluding any warranty items at a cost of $1,400 covering six visits. With dealer hourly rate of $90.00 in the Atlanta market area, I think that less than $300 a year is a bargain but I haven’t gone through the manual to figure out, how many service intervals are recommended over five years.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pennyrick View Post
    The five year agreement covers all factory recommended servicing excluding any warranty items at a cost of $1,400 covering six visits. With dealer hourly rate of $90.00 in the Atlanta market area, I think that less than $300 a year is a bargain but I haven’t gone through the manual to figure out, how many service intervals are recommended over five years.
    It's what I have also - prepaid maintenance. I also got the extended warranty. Since I bought my 2018 as a left-over in 2019, I'm good till 2024. My thinking is enjoy it fully for the first five years, and start doing my own maintenance once the warranty expires. I'm basically keeping my RTL stock - the only farkles on it are KOTT grills as the environment out west here is quite the biblical plague of grasshoppers...

Spyder Garage

If my simple math is correct and you run the Spyder 9,300 miles between oil changes, which you can easily do with the 1330 ACE engine, you can get 47,100 miles out of the six allowed services which will include the 28K service that will be an expensive one. If you don't plan to keep the bike through 47K but still make the six service visits in the contract, which you must do if you don't run the Spyder more than 9,300/year, then you're paying the dealership for services the Spyder did not need if it was ridden more. With GA weather you should be able to ride year round and roll up the miles. Good luck!
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

If my simple math is correct and you run the Spyder 9,300 miles between oil changes, which you can easily do with the 1330 ACE engine, you can get 47,100 miles out of the six allowed services which will include the 28K service that will be an expensive one. If you don't plan to keep the bike through 47K but still make the six service visits in the contract, which you must do if you don't run the Spyder more than 9,300/year, then you're paying the dealership for services the Spyder did not need if it was ridden more. With GA weather you should be able to ride year round and roll up the miles. Good luck!
    The agreement is fully transferable and can be sold with the Spyder. We doubt Penny will drive 9,300 a year but at age 77 you never know. She has already gone through three previous Spyders and has beaten terminal cancer so anything is possible.

Spyder Garage

I'm 79 and this pandemic has really clobbered my annual mileage. I was averaging 12,585 through my first five years but I fear my 2020 long tour is going into the crapper thanks to Covid-19.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Ya this covid crap has really put a pin in our balloon!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Chinese Wuhan Virus sucks! My dealer says, 3K miles, I'm going with that, not that I have a problem with 300 miles, just that the cost seems prohibitive at $90/hour.

Spyder Garage

I'm 79 and this pandemic has really clobbered my annual mileage. I was averaging 12,585 through my first five years but I fear my 2020 long tour is going into the crapper thanks to Covid-19.
    Jay, greetings. So good to see you still hoofing along on the RT. At 85, I'm still driving the Slingshot a bit , but sitting at home so much has made me think about other things I "need".... like a Can Am of some sort. Hope to pick up a lightly used F3T Saturday about 150 miles away. Problem is, while I will have insurance on it, a signed title and BOS, I won't have a tag. According to online info...and you know how accurate that is.....I'm allowed up to 3 days to drive it straight home without a tag. I hope that is still true, as it was about 20 years ago when I bought a car out of state. May have to go to Lic Tag office in Lexington and see what they say, providing the lines are not too long. Don't like to be in confined spaces these days. Otherwise will have to take a chance. A buddy of mine is riding with me in the Slingshot to get it; he's a long time RT rider and we plan on alternating to make it more fun.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    just that the cost seems prohibitive at $90/hour.
    $90.00 an hour is a bargain!
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk