Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera install

Spyder Garage

Default Camera install

Got my dual camera today. So before I start. I am looking for suggestions on where to install everything on my 2018 F3L.

So all the parts are:
    Front camera
    Rear camera
    DVR
    Remote switch/microphone
    GPS antenna

If you have any pictures that would be great.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Man that looks like a lot of stuff..... More then I'd be willing to tackle. Good luck that project....
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Looks like it's using a go-pro style stick-on mount. Not sure if I'd want to do that. I've thought about where to put an action cam on my spyder RTL, and haven't come up with a solution either.

Spyder Garage

When I put the Innovv system on my RT I made a front bracket and used the L bracket that came with the system on the rear. DVD is mounted under the seat and the GPS antenna is forward under the tupperware. Started off wanting to put the GPS antenna under the seat also but it was slow in finding the satellites.

IMG_0426.jpg IMG_0429.jpg
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    When I put the Innovv system on my RT I made a front bracket and used the L bracket that came with the system on the rear. DVD is mounted under the seat and the GPS antenna is forward under the tupperware. Started off wanting to put the GPS antenna under the seat also but it was slow in finding the satellites.

IMG_0426.jpg IMG_0429.jpg
    My front camera I was thinking of putting it near where you did. F3 is a little different so offset to the left or right. I will have to look at using the licence plate bolt for the rear. Had not considered that. I have decided to put the DVR under the pillion seat. Was also thinking about putting the gps there as well. But from your experience I think I may put it inside the top case lid.

Thanks

2018 F3 LIMITED

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
    Looks like it's using a go-pro style stick-on mount. Not sure if I'd want to do that. I've thought about where to put an action cam on my spyder RTL, and haven't come up with a solution either.
    Always tether anything mounted that's expensive. Simple lanyard shown here. With that elaborate system (very nice BTW) almost everything is self tethered by their own wiring.

GoPro.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Thought I'd have something to contribute since I have a F3-S, but my mount is based off my Madstad windshield base plate. I use a go Pro flat sticky helmet mount, along with a slide in RAM ball. For a demonstrative pic, I used my TackForm mount/cell phone, but I also have a Go Pro knock off camera/attachment. But your system appears much more complex.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I have an F3s... i used tape to stick everything on. I stuck a front camera right on the front nose piece above the headlights. The rear I got tired of trying to run the cables right to get it down by the license plate, so I mounted it down by the passenger handle in an odd spot.. I stuck the DVR unit in my frunk since the power hookup and battery are all up there. That did take drilling a hole to get cables in with the frunk closed, but it all works fine. I left off the GPS and mic and stuff I do t care about right now. Might add those if I ever care. Mainly just like having the video like a dashcam. I didn’t want the unit visible even though it has a screen, since I can view it on my phone already anyways over WiFi. Don’t need more things on my handlebars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Thought I'd have something to contribute since I have a F3-S, but my mount is based off my Madstad windshield base plate. I use a go Pro flat sticky helmet mount, along with a slide in RAM ball. For a demonstrative pic, I used my TackForm mount/cell phone, but I also have a Go Pro knock off camera/attachment. But your system appears much more complex.
    Nice! to See this post
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Some pictures of the install. It took longer than it should have. Life got in the way a couple times. Had a problem with a cross thread panel screw and stripped out the molded in thread insert. But it seems to be working fine.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Nice job , very clean . whats the quality of video like with that unit ?
    2019 f3-s , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Some pictures of the install. It took longer than it should have. Life got in the way a couple times. Had a problem with a cross thread panel screw and stripped out the molded in thread insert. But it seems to be working fine.
    It ended well.

Spyder Garage

Sample videos from the cameras. One from the front and another from the rear. Covering the same ride. There is nothing exciting. Just a ride around the block to see how it worked. First time uploading videos to youtube. So I am just learning.

https://youtu.be/PSqf1cNJsvs
    https://youtu.be/T96QXapgQV4

The video looks alright to me. Of course I could have gotten better video quality with a more expensive camera. The point is I wanted an always on camera. It seems that interesting things happen when the good camera is not on.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Video quality isn't bad Only thing I would add would be a windsock to the mic . Otherwise nice set up .
    2019 f3-s , Blue

Spyder Garage

GoPro for comparison...

https://youtu.be/RAhbL6DnJnE

Spyder Garage

Sample still pictures from the cameras. I am happy with that function. Taken on my ride between thunderstorms. Trying not to get too wet. Front and rear camera at the same time.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Nice pictures!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The system seems to work good and the price is right. Nice.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 07-15-2020 at 03:37 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Billy, a word of caution. Use a good quality micro SD card. I forgot when I "temporarily" swapped out a good SanDisk card for a ONN so I could review. After I had a run in with a large racoon night before last I wanted to review what had happened during the event. Only the left front tire was left on the pavement, quite exciting to say the least. Nothing readable on the card, not even a directory structure.

I knew better and I did it anyway. Normally I will swap out every week and do a quick look at the card just to make sure its functional, then put it back on line to use again.

BTW, racoon didn't make it. Spyder came thru it fine.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the warning. I have experienced a SD card going bad before. I have a batch of Sandisk 32G cards I got cheap from Amazon a couple years ago. Actually they were so cheap. I though they may be counterfeit. So I tested one of them right away, when recieved them. Just in case. They where fine. As it turns out, with this camera, the 32G works OK but because of the amount of data. A 64G card would be better.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

To try and reduce the wind noise on the mic. I added some foam. Hard to do. The foam is from my Sena headset mic. Put a new foam sock on and used the old one on the camera mic. It is better. But certainly no gone. Any better ideas would be appreciated.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

In your camera settings, you should be able to turn the mic off. If not, load your movies into Movie Maker and set the audio to nothing. Or, replace it with music.

Image1.jpg

Spyder Garage

How's the camera setup holding up? Are you pleased with the quality? Is it good enough for recording an easy, long ride? I'm looking for something to record my daily commute. It would mainly be looping until I caught something "interesting" on it.
    2015 F3-S , Lamonster position 5 brake extender Magnesium Black

Spyder Garage

Mounted my GoPro Hero8 on my left mirror casing. Drilled a tiny hole in mirror casing and mounting pad(had to file the bolt head square to fit snug) and used a #6 nut & #6 32 x 1" bolt, as well as the 3M adhesive to secure the base plate in place. (these cameras are not cheap to replace). Can use either a rigid mount or a Ram swivel mount if I want to change the camera perspective. Pics below show permanent base mount to mirror, rigid mount and Ram mount with short arm. Added a USB splitter in the glove box and have both the Iphone and the camera powered 24/7. Ignore bottom 3 pics.
    IMG_5061 (2).jpg IMG_5064 (2).jpg IMG_5082 (2).jpg
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tashcraft36 View Post
    How's the camera setup holding up? Are you pleased with the quality? Is it good enough for recording an easy, long ride? I'm looking for something to record my daily commute. It would mainly be looping until I caught something "interesting" on it.
    I am actually very pleased with how the camera is working. Mine keeps looping, writing over the oldest files, until I want to get a video of something that happened. I carry a spare SD card and swap it out.

Only issue is that there are 2 power connections. Switched and unswitched. It does put a drain on the battery. If it sits for 2 or 3 weeks without being on the tender. It may need a boost. I am going to change that and see if it works.

2018 F3 LIMITED