Thread: DESS bypass

Spyder Garage

Default DESS bypass

We’ve had a few issues with our 2014 ST limited, involving the DESS failure. Did it a few times one day, took it to the dealer and no stored codes for that. Battery was getting pretty bad so we replaced that and it was fine ever since. Until today. Our dealer is pretty reputable, and willing to help, but with no codes and it not doing it at the time, they didn’t want to start changing stuff.
    Is there anyone in WI that can bypass the function, or am I able to purchase a trial of some sort for BUDS and disable it myself? Thanks!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rachael1983 View Post
    We’ve had a few issues with our 2014 ST limited, involving the DESS failure. Did it a few times one day, took it to the dealer and no stored codes for that. Battery was getting pretty bad so we replaced that and it was fine ever since. Until today. Our dealer is pretty reputable, and willing to help, but with no codes and it not doing it at the time, they didn’t want to start changing stuff.
    Is there anyone in WI that can bypass the function, or am I able to purchase a trial of some sort for BUDS and disable it myself? Thanks!!
    See if this link helps:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-BUDS-Megatech
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you had the " orange screen of death " you had a DESS code .... if the dealer /stealer couldn't find it ....it's because their TECH doesn't know how ..... any CODE is a computer event , either major or minor. ....... and anything that goes thru your computer ( all computers ) is there " FOREVER " . - Period. I was an LEO and knew cops who did computer Forensics, they told me your computer board can " washed " clean, but that's for everything on the board and it's a complicated process ( ask Hillary ) .... using the Delete button, won't actually remove it. It sort of Hides it from casual view. The person closest to you is " JoelTheBiker " near Binghamton NY. and takes all of 10 min. to do ... a way cheaper way of solving your issue is re-place the DESS module yourself.... They cost about $135.00 and you need to remove the FRUNK to access it. ... cheapcysleparts.com has a Fiche' that will show you where it is. Good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

When the tech hooked up to check codes, he let me watch and there wasn’t anything in there that I saw.

Replacing the module is all that needs to be done? You don’t have to reprogram anything? Where’s the best place to order from?

Also tempted to order that software and turn it off forever, but if it’s just the module, I’d go that route. Thanks!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When the tech hooked up to check codes, he let me watch and there wasn’t anything in there that I saw.

Replacing the module is all that needs to be done? You don’t have to reprogram anything? Where’s the best place to order from?

Also tempted to order that software and turn it off forever, but if it’s just the module, I’d go that route. Thanks!
    Have you priced the " software " and the license to use it .... I just read $650.00 + recently ( and there have been reports that some software & licenses are fake copies !!!! )..... I've read all the DESS posts and what it takes to fix it .... 99% of the time it's ONLY the Module that needs to be re-placed ..... it might be a little cheaper elsewhere, but look at - cheapcycleparts .... After mine was re-placed ( at Spyderfest 2015 ) when I got home I moved the module to the area under the right headlite .... the OEM wires are long enough to do this , if you cut some of the wire ties. Later on I had mine dis-abled by Joel in NY ..... I still have the newest OEM re-placement module ............ good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Replaced it.

Hi Rachael,
    I also had the DESS ( 1000 miles from home, of course). Got it working and it happened again---- so I just replaced it as there was nobody to disable it in these parts. Pulled the frunk. ( gave the radiators good cleaning) A few moments to actually replace the module. Haven't had a DESS problem again. Be sure to get the newer module. ( p/n 710004916 )

Good luck, Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Sounds like I’ll just replace the module for now. Thanks everyone for all the advice!