Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Same here whenever I rode my motorcycle into Oregon, I was given the handle to pump my gas.
    Now the last couple of yrs when I go to Vancover WA where I bought mine an the wife Spydeers, across from Portland Oregon. I turn off hwy 97 an go hwy 14 along the Wa side of the Columbia river. So much more enjoyable ride an takes just about the same amount of time. Couple little towns to eat at an gas up or cruise right on thru them to my destination And yes I 5 going north or south is a bitch at the wrong time of day, but a lot better on 3 wheels than on 2 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Very stupid law. Stopped in to get fuel in a 'No Pump' state on my 1971 Honda CB750. I didn't know that they would not let the customer pump fuel. So I was surprised when the attendant told me I could not pump my own fuel. I tried to talk him out of it. But I was out of fuel and he was steadfast, so I caved.

I kept that bike immaculate! The attendant proceeded to overfill the tank, fuel running all down both sides of the tank onto my very hot engine. He then fumbled with the nozzle and smacked the tank, chipping the paint. That was the very last time I allowed anyone to put fuel in any motorcycle.

Honda 750.jpg
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Very stupid law. Stopped in to get fuel in a 'No Pump' state on my 1971 Honda CB750. I didn't know that they would not let the customer pump fuel. So I was surprised when the attendant told me I could not pump my own fuel. I tried to talk him out of it. But I was out of fuel and he was steadfast, so I caved.

I kept that bike immaculate! The attendant proceeded to overfill the tank, fuel running all down both sides of the tank onto my very hot engine. He then fumbled with the nozzle and smacked the tank, chipping the paint. That was the very last time I allowed anyone to put fuel in any motorcycle.

Honda 750.jpg
    Beautiful CB 750. That was the machine that started the big bike and tourer craze. Vetter up and you had a pre-Gold Wing.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Beautiful CB 750. That was the machine that started the big bike and tourer craze. Vetter up and you had a pre-Gold Wing.
    My first street bike too, 1973 CB750K3 in metallic brown with black and gold striping. Tried to make it work for long distance, but more than an hour on that seat was like sitting on the thin edge of a 2x4. Quick, well-finished and trouble-free but after a couple of years I sold it and bought a 1975 BMW R90S. Not as quick, but higher top end and even more beautiful (Daytona Orange); the 22-year-old me could ride it forever. It's still in my garage 45 years later but needs some fixing. My brother is going to restore it completely over the coming months.
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

I live in Oregon, they always hand me the nozzle to fill it myself.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbiaSpyder View Post
    I live in Oregon, they always hand me the nozzle to fill it myself.
    I get off the bike and all they say is; "You got it?" Yup. And I do it all myself. That way, I can check for a skimmer before inserting my card.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

In the Portland Metro area they have a law that the attendant needs to hand you the nozzle and you can do the rest, they can get a hefty fine if they get caught ignoring the stupid law. Almost all of them ignore it, but still can get fined. Everywhere else in the state you can do it all by yourself .
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Very stupid law.
    Not necessarily back in the day it was passed. I believe it was passed during the early days of transitioning to self-serve, which was being done to cut costs. Of course cutting costs meant cutting jobs. The law was passed in an attempt to save jobs. It also may have been passed as a safety measure. Keep in mind gas pumps 70+ years ago weren't designed to enable any idiot to use them. But it definitely is out of step with the way gasoline distribution methods have evolved. So it's not so much a stupid law as one that long ago outlived it original purpose.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Not necessarily back in the day it was passed. I believe it was passed during the early days of transitioning to self-serve, which was being done to cut costs. Of course cutting costs meant cutting jobs. The law was passed in an attempt to save jobs. It also may have been passed as a safety measure. Keep in mind gas pumps 70+ years ago weren't designed to enable any idiot to use them. But it definitely is out of step with the way gasoline distribution methods have evolved. So it's not so much a stupid law as one that long ago outlived it original purpose.
    You’ve also got to remember back in the day, a lot of the older women (my mother among them) refused to pump gas into their own cars. They would keep looking for a station that advertised “Full Service”. There have been times when I have wanted a “Full Service” station, but alas, there are NONE (at least not here).

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    You’ve also got to remember back in the day, a lot of the older women (my mother among them) refused to pump gas into their own cars. They would keep looking for a station that advertised “Full Service”. There have been times when I have wanted a “Full Service” station, but alas, there are NONE (at least not here).
    But with most all self service stations, if not all that have attendants, you can still get the gas pumped for you if you have a handicapped sticker or license plate and honk your horn! I'm pretty sure ADA regulations require it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)