Spyder Garage

Default Another pre-purchase question

Greetings all,

Long time lurker newly registered. My first bike was a brand new 1968 Honda Trail 90. Several other bikes over the years, but I’ve been riding ever since.

As I’m getting older, I (which is to say, my wife) thought my going to 3 wheels would be a safer way to extend my riding for a few more years. She doesn’t like motorcycles, but has been supporting my habit for over 40 years now. As she says, “A man who has hobbies doesn’t have mistresses”. Now, it isn’t in my DNA to stray, but if her thinking that way allows her to support my riding, then who am I to contradict her.
    I’m planning on doing some solo touring, but my idea of touring is finding secondary and tertiary roads.

I’ll be looking for either a late model F3 S, and getting saddlebags, or a FS T. My wife also tells me that getting a blue one is important to me, but not a deal breaker. I gotta say, I agree with her on that one. I had a black Norton Commando for several years, and kinda done with it. Blue seems to be a less common, but I guess that’s why those clever folks make skins. As I understand it, the T does not have a sport mode for the nanny. However, I learned how to circumvent that in my 3-wheel endorsement class by hanging off on turns.

So, finally to the questions. I’ve learned a great deal using the site’s search function. I still have a couple questions, and hope you all can help me out. I’ve never been able to figure out the weight of the S vs. the T. They both have the same carrying capacity, but I can’t figure of if it’s gained much weight. Has the T lost its sporting capability? Are the shocks set up more softly, or the power steering changed, or with any weight for the extra equipment for example?

Appreciate the help.

Spyder Garage

Welcome to Spyderlovers !
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VintageRider View Post
    Greetings all,

Long time lurker newly registered. My first bike was a brand new 1968 Honda Trail 90. Several other bikes over the years, but I’ve been riding ever since.

As I’m getting older, I (which is to say, my wife) thought my going to 3 wheels would be a safer way to extend my riding for a few more years. She doesn’t like motorcycles, but has been supporting my habit for over 40 years now. As she says, “A man who has hobbies doesn’t have mistresses”. Now, it isn’t in my DNA to stray, but if her thinking that way allows her to support my riding, then who am I to contradict her.
    I’m planning on doing some solo touring, but my idea of touring is finding secondary and tertiary roads.

I’ll be looking for either a late model F3 S, and getting saddlebags, or a FS T. My wife also tells me that getting a blue one is important to me, but not a deal breaker. I gotta say, I agree with her on that one. I had a black Norton Commando for several years, and kinda done with it. Blue seems to be a less common, but I guess that’s why those clever folks make skins. As I understand it, the T does not have a sport mode for the nanny. However, I learned how to circumvent that in my 3-wheel endorsement class by hanging off on turns.

So, finally to the questions. I’ve learned a great deal using the site’s search function. I still have a couple questions, and hope you all can help me out. I’ve never been able to figure out the weight of the S vs. the T. They both have the same carrying capacity, but I can’t figure of if it’s gained much weight. Has the T lost its sporting capability? Are the shocks set up more softly, or the power steering changed, or with any weight for the extra equipment for example?

Appreciate the help.
    Well this is only my opinion, and you know about opinions everybody has one. If I were going to buy an F3 today regardless of color, I would definitely would go for the F3T
    if you don't you will just end up adding a bunch of stuff that the touring version already has... but I am sure the F3 folks will jump in and give other or more info.
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

maybe a limited

Spyder Garage

GVW from the 2020 F3 Operator's Guide:
    F3-S = 1,382 lb.
    F3-T = 1,429 lb.
    F3 Ltd = 1,493 lb.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The F3T has a larger dash. You can buy it with or without stereo. You also get an airbag for rear shock. Better ride. And of course saddlebags. Would be more comfortable for a passenger also.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You need to go ride several models...I personally don't like the way your feet are forward on the F3 models...But that's just me...larryd

Spyder Garage

i bought a F3-T. i thought it was the sweet spot between lean and mean and touring.
    i mostly ride alone and use it for around town (twin cities). and, it works great for that. have also done several day camping overnights.
    there is "just" enough storage to get my stuff home. sometimes i would like a top case. the saddlebags are not large inside and are kind of finicky, but i am glad they are there.
    i like the feet forward seating. consider having your foot pegs and handlebars set to your preferences as part of your deal.
    the radio is OK. the cruise control is surprisingly great. the stock windscreen is "not enough'. the saddlebags are touchy.
    i'm not sure of the other differences between the S and T, but the first mod i made was a F4 Customs shield.
    i'd buy it again.

good luck
    ba
    2019 F3-T Liquid Titanium

“we are all products of those to whom we have chosen to listen”
    2019 F3T , titanium

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VintageRider View Post
    I still have a couple questions, and hope you all can help me out. I’ve never been able to figure out the weight of the S vs. the T.
    Appreciate the help.
    F3-S is 899 pounds dry and has manual trans option

F3-T is 948 pounds dry

https://jp.brp.com/content/dam/canam...et-F3-S_EN.pdf

https://can-am.brp.com/content/dam/c...2_EN_Final.pdf
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    You need to go ride several models...I personally don't like the way your feet are forward on the F3 models...But that's just me...larryd
    I was very fortunate with my 3 wheel endorcement class. We had an F3, RT, and a couple of Rykers. Also a traditional trike, and a couple of sidehacks (scary buggers). The RT and my longish legs are not compatable. The Ryker was comfortable, but just too small and too low.
    I would have agreed about the feet forward up until a couple years ago. I rented a Harley on Maui with the forward controls. Weird at first, but after a couple hours in the saddle, I found it to be surprisingly comfortable.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    GVW from the 2020 F3 Operator's Guide:
    F3-S = 1,382 lb.
    F3-T = 1,429 lb.
    F3 Ltd = 1,493 lb.
    ..... check to see if these are the " maximum " .... LOADED weights ...... see post #9 above ... Mike

Spyder Garage

GVW includes everything, fluids, cargo driver and pillion. Dry weights are listed at the top of pg. 192 of OG, F3-S = 899.5, F3-T = 948, F3 Ltd = 987. I've always considered dry weight a COS number because no one ever gets to drive, pedal or push a vehicle with an internal combustion engine with no fuel in it unless you've run out of gas and are pushing to next gas station. BTDT; lost the fuel stop gamble once as a youngster.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S