Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Default Checking the inner brake pads on F3T & F3LTD

Everything is in the way. Brake caliper from the bottom and rear. Muffler. Brake cables, bag & swing arm. Grrrr. Not able to crawl around on the ground any longer, getting a good look at the inner pads was a pain! I finally managed to use a GoPro on a selfie stick to capture this photo of the inner pad. I was pleased to see that they are wearing the same inner and outer! Unlike the OEM pads, which wore down on the inside quickly (in just 8k miles) and caused me to have a tough time getting the piston to engage the threads to install the new. I have 11k on the EBC that I got from BajaRon and they are barely showing wear! Gonna tackle the fronts when it gets cooler.

Gopr0619.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

good idea with the gopro!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Shine a flashlight in from the belt side then peer in from the rear, below the axle. You will be able to see the inner pad and its remaining thickness. This is how I get that inspection point on every service.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Shine a flashlight in from the belt side then peer in from the rear, below the axle. You will be able to see the inner pad and its remaining thickness. This is how I get that inspection point on every service.
    ummmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by rattlebars View Post
    Not able to crawl around on the ground any longer, getting a good look at the inner pads was a pain!
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

I was able to get a pic with my phone and a selfie stick from the back. Thanks for the impetus. I couldn't find a phone clamp big enough to get the selfie stick holder set so I used duct tape . I was able to get this pic with the phone hanging to the left and responding to voice commands. Needed to maneuver it into the wheel and "CAPTURE" with the flash on. And yes, I have ordered a new selfie stick that will fit my fone. Note that I couldn't get the fone high enough as the caliper arm blocked the view.

inner pad from rear2.jpg
    Last edited by Rattlebars; 07-05-2020 at 09:32 PM. Reason: added pic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    I was able to get a pic with my phone and a selfie stick from the back. Thanks for the impetus. I couldn't find a phone clamp big enough to get the selfie stick holder set so I used duct tape . I was able to get this pic with the phone hanging to the left and responding to voice commands. Needed to maneuver it into the wheel and "CAPTURE" with the flash on. And yes, I have ordered a new selfie stick that will fit my fone. Note that I couldn't get the fone high enough as the caliper arm blocked the view.

inner pad from rear2.jpg
    For those who either don't have a cell phone, just use a mechanics mirror on an extendable rod .... and a good flashlite helps ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

But some people with failing eyes have to be closer to there work, if you know what I mean!! Or maybe I can find a mirror with a magnifier!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Got my new selfie stick. If I mount my fone so the whole affair looks like a 9 iron I can get a shot at the proper angle to see both sides. The adage goes "It's a poor workman who blames his tools." Most people read that the wrong way. The sensible interpretation is that a good workman will always have the proper tools for the job at hand! And yes, a mirror is pretty much useless if you can't focus your bifocals on it 🤓

20200707_181732.jpg