Spyder Garage

Default 2014 Can Am Spyder RT & 1999 CSC Escapade Trailer - need wiring HELP!

Last year I bought the Spyder. This year I bought the trailer. Of course, they aren't wired with matching plugs. I talked to a local trailer shop, and the guy recommended that I get the Show Chrome Plug n Play wiring harness to replace the trailer wiring on the bike. I bought one ... it doesn't have a trailer side plug - that needs to be wired on. I can't find a wiring diagram for the Spyder.

So here's the thing: spyder has a round plug installed.
    The trailer has a rectangle plug.
    What would y'all recommend I do to get the two units talking and playing nicely together? I have no idea what to do with wiring!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Since the trailer plug is 6 pin. It is likely a 5 wire system. So to make sure. Does the trailer have amber turn signal lights? If yes then it is a 5 wire system.

You say you have a Show Chrome wiring harness. There are several different ones. Post a link or a picture of the one you have. Most likely you have the 5 wire harness that plugs into the tail light harnesses, 12V and ground. If so that will work.

So if the trailer is a 5 wire and you have the correct Spyder harness. Install the harness. You will need to buy a male and female 5 pin SAE trailer plug. Available at most parts stores. Attach the female one to the Show Chrome harness. Cut the current plug off the trailer and attach the new plug to it.

PS The existing Duesthes plug on your Spyder is likely not working anymore anyway and it's a pain in the a$$ to find a matching plug.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

You could always make up your own pigtail connection. Attached is the 9 pin DEUTSCH wiring diagram. Parts can be ordered from WireCare. It is an HD10 series connector.
    I did this for my first trailer which was a 4 pin, and now have one for my camper which is a 5 pin flat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2012 RT-S and 2013 STL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Since the trailer plug is 6 pin. It is likely a 5 wire system. So to make sure. Does the trailer have amber turn signal lights? If yes then it is a 5 wire system.

You say you have a Show Chrome wiring harness. There are several different ones. Post a link or a picture of the one you have. Most likely you have the 5 wire harness that plugs into the tail light harnesses, 12V and ground. If so that will work.

So if the trailer is a 5 wire and you have the correct Spyder harness. Install the harness. You will need to buy a male and female 5 pin SAE trailer plug. Available at most parts stores. Attach the female one to the Show Chrome harness. Cut the current plug off the trailer and attach the new plug to it.

PS The existing Duesthes plug on your Spyder is likely not working anymore anyway and it's a pain in the a$$ to find a matching plug.
    I'm kinda afraid that you may be right about the old plug not working. A friend says I should check it with a voltmeter. Although I bought the trailer harness, I'm hoping that I don't have to tear the whole bike apart to install it. I'm new to Spyders and not too comfortable removing and replacing body panels. Others have told me that it's easy to break the connection points.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tjsox View Post
    You could always make up your own pigtail connection. Attached is the 9 pin DEUTSCH wiring diagram. Parts can be ordered from WireCare. It is an HD10 series connector.
    I did this for my first trailer which was a 4 pin, and now have one for my camper which is a 5 pin flat.
    Thanks for that info! I'll check it out. :-)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You definitely will want to get rid of the round plug on the Spyder. It is associated with a control module that apparently was a lot of trouble. In fact, yours may already be dead. You want a new trailer harness on the Spyder. There are some options. The one you have may be good. You might as well get used to taking off tupperware to work on the bike. It's a normal part of owning a Spyder!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I'm about to install a Show Chrome wiring harness on my 2014 RTL. After viewing installation videos and reading instructions, etc I can see clearly how to install everything in the back of the bike. But what I cannot find is a video or instruction sheet that shows "where" (route) to run the red and green wires to the battery. I know those two wires have to get to the battery (in the front of the bike), but no one shows that or talks about it that I've been able to find. Any helpful advice or instructions (or videos) would be greatly appreciated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I did mine I hooked the + wire to the battery post on the alternator...Easier access than going to the battery...Negative wire to a good ground connection close to the alternator...larryd

Spyder Garage

thank you. Which side did you run the wire? Which side is alternator on? Did you have to remove panels on both sides of bike?
    Thanks again

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtlister View Post
    thank you. Which side did you run the wire? Which side is alternator on? Did you have to remove panels on both sides of bike?
    Thanks again
    Left side of the bike...Remove left center panel...You'll see the alternator and the heavy battery wire hooked to a stud post coming out of the alt...larryd