Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Has anyone successfully changed sprockets on the F3 Limiteds?

My friends got the 2019 F3 LTD with Monster Stage 2 tune (yes he should have bought an S) and wants more low end pep. Has anybody successfully changed out the sprocket to no errors?

Spyder Garage

No.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    No.
    Peter, Show vitodivito how to get intouch with Jase down your way...I've been talking with Jase about the sprocket change challenge...Jase said he thinks he has done this and was going to check it out after his move to his new shop...

I'm pretty sure I remember someone wanting to change their F3 sprockets several years ago and BRP stepped in on their post and said to have their dealer contact them??? (I think)...I know several have tried since that post without success...But the F3's have both options 79T & 89T...So I think its doable with the correct knowledge...Now the RT's don't have that option, so I think they'll be a BIGGER challenge...larryd

Spyder Garage

You're right Larry; if anyone can convince the ECU to let a change of sprocket on a Spyder to work, it'll be Jase!

His contact details & a brief outline :

Jason Robertson at 'ECU Xtreme' - that's the label on their Facebook page or you can email him at rotaxracing@gmail.com - Jase has been working on/with Can-Am ECU's for longer than most in the game, and he's generally the 'Go To' man for troubleshooting all the 'unsolvable' ECU & tuning problems for BRP, dealers, & private owners alike all over the World; and he also does a lot of tuning & fine tuning/getting the ultimate in performance for many manufacturer & privately owned competition machines on the World stage too!! These days, you too can access all that knowledge & skill - for a fee of course, and yes, it's not the cheapest ECU tuning there is available out there, but I am convinced that he's forgotten more about this game than most tuners will ever know, and I certainly think that what he does is up there at the top of 'the very best' heap! But then, I have already had his magic worked on my RT - I didn't change the sprocket tho, cos not too many machines have quite the same 'pep' as mine does now!

For those interested, I have no involvement or interest in this company, financial or otherwise; I am simply an extremely satisfied customer who has tried more than just a few of the other ECU tuning offerings who finally learnt about Jase & ECU Xtreme & now that I've experienced his work & support I won't recommend anyone else!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-04-2020 at 09:38 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys I sent a message out to him as well as Monster for curiosity sake. I will report back..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vitodivita View Post
    Thanks guys I sent a message out to him as well as Monster for curiosity sake. I will report back..
    You didn't say, but does your F3 NOW HAVE the 79T rear sprocket and you want to change to the 89T for quicker acceleration ???

Spyder Garage

Correct it’s a 79. It just doesn’t engage at all like the S does. There’s boatloads of torque but it’s being held down by the gearing and traction control.

Spyder Garage

I have a 89t F3-S and wonder what the 79t would feel like...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I have a 89t F3-S and wonder what the 79t would feel like...

I'd imagine it would be like starting your F3 S in second gear and running it into a hypothetical 7th gear, it's not exact but close to that.

Spyder Garage

Other than the 79t/89t final drive ratios, I wonder if the transmission/gear ratios are the same between 79t and 89t models? Maybe like driving a lighter weight F3L?

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Right that's a good point, could be the trans too, hopefully I can get some clarification on this.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Easy to tell what you have. 79 has three spokes and 89 has six spokes. I have mine offset so it looks like I have 12 spokes on the rear wheel.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

We both know what respective pulleys we have. His friend has a 79t F3 Limited, and I have a 89t 2019 F3-S. My pulley is damn near same diameter as my rear wheel..

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I guess we were lucky without knowing it but our 2016 F3L came with the lower gearing.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

my wifes 2018 f3t has 89t my 2019 f3t has 79t
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pieman9155 View Post
    my wife's 2018 f3t has 89t my 2019 f3t has 79t
    That's a good example of BRP's engineering excellence and customer confounding. One wonders why they would do that!
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    That's a good example of BRP's engineering excellence and customer confounding. One wonders why they would do that!
    Easy way to increase performance...larryd

Spyder Garage

I believe the initial use of the 89t on LTD models was to have the lower gearing for trailer towing purposes..

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe the initial use of the 89t on LTD models was to have the lower gearing for trailer towing purposes..
    Then you would have though they would have made it an option on the RT's since many are ridden double and some tow trailers...Plus the RT's are heavier to start with...larryd

Spyder Garage

Other than the 79t/89t final drive ratios, I wonder if the transmission/gear ratios are the same between 79t and 89t models? Maybe like driving a lighter weight F3L?
    Transmission ratios are the same in all 1330 SE engines built 2014 to present.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vitodivita View Post
    I'd imagine it would be like starting your F3 S in second gear and running it into a hypothetical 7th gear, it's not exact but close to that.
    Just like an F3L, although I don't think you ever get to the hypothetical 7th gear on the F3L, maybe a 6.5 gear LOL
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is the post from BRPcare about the sprocket changes that I've been looking for...larryd

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-line-up/page3

See post #75

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Here is the post from BRPcare about the sprocket changes that I've been looking for...larryd

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-line-up/page3

See post #75
    And the follow up telling us it didn't work from one of the people who tried to do just that is in the same thread at post #88 - and there are more elsewhere who've reported exactly the same failure; but so far, AFAIK, none who've reported success at changing the sprocket size on any Spyder while retaining the OE ECU!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Right the guy ended up with errors and was pleading for a rep from BRP to help him. Of course he didn't follow up with anybody on the forum on the issue so it's a total mystery as to if it got remedied or not.

I do have an e-mail out to BRP so I can get an official word from them. They escalated it to senior folks so I should get an answer soon.

We reached out to a local dealer and they seemed relatively confident about it but also never dealt with that request before.

Will update when I have more information.

Spyder Garage

Looking at Partshark, Euro/AU/Japan F3-S come with 79t rear pulleys, and CA/USA have 89t. Part numbers are the same between USA F3 LTD and AU/JP/EU rear pulley/belt. Looks like $339 for the 79t pulley/$319 for the belt and corresponding labor. Not much sense swapping the pulley/belt at home and not be able to drive it to the dealership for ECU upgrades. Push it onto a trailer I guess I'll be watching...

2022 RT Sea To Sky