Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    And the follow up telling us it didn't work from one of the people who tried to do just that is in the same thread at post #88 - and there are more elsewhere who've reported exactly the same failure; but so far, AFAIK, none who've reported success at changing the sprocket size on any Spyder while retaining the OE ECU!!
    Peter, but then on post #89 BRP steps back in asking for more information to sort this out...But nothing else reported after that??? So What Happened??? larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Peter, but then on post #89 BRP steps back in asking for more information to sort this out...But nothing else reported after that??? So What Happened??? larryd
    Apparently, it didn't work!! At least, his dealer couldn't get it to work & either didn't get the necessary support to make ut do so from BRP, or BRP, Mactim, &/or the dealer just gave up!! Just like seems to have occured for everyone else who's tried to change sprockets so far?!!

I don't really know this, but from the failed attempts I've seen/heard about, I sorta suspect that there are more fields & spots in the computer software suite that actually refer back to the expected gearing/sprocket size somehow than just the one selection/spot BRPCare has mentioned so far, and they do so in such a way that unless it all matches... That current selection seems to ONLY work on those models & in Regions where there is already a choice of sprockets available - ie, Base F3/ F3-S; but even then it works ONLY if ALL of the other computer & tuning options & the respective settings reflect the choices that usually accompany that particular sprocket selection!! So if you have a different model Spyder or are in a different Region (ie, North America vs EU/Aus etc) it either means you need to accept compromises in the basic settings that generally go with your Country/Region across the entire range of software suite controlled settings (ie, amongst other important things, you'll probably find no radio stations that work; get kph not mph on your dash; need different headlight globes & wiring or changes to the control set-up; yada, yada, yada...) OR it takes a whole new & completely Custom ECU to even get the engine to run, and then it's WITHOUT the VSS, ABS, DPS, EBD, etc!!

That said, while I've had some exposure to computer controlled engine tuning & vehicle control software, that was only as an 'educated user' & it was a fair while back too; but I still feel pretty sure that if anyone can sort the 'normal' BRP supplied software suite & ECU to let you successfully change & run the rear sprocket, it'll be Jase/ECU Xtreme, cos that's what he does extremely well!! (Pun intended! )
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-12-2020 at 01:55 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Changing the sprocket is not a problem we have a few bikes running around with this mod, my problem is i have struggled to find my data on what changes i made to make this work and its more than just a change in the mapping but i will not divulge to much info at this stage.
    one of my customers im trying to get hold of so i can have his bike back for a few days so i can go through and reconfigure my changes.
    will keep you guys informed on my progress
    Jase

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jase View Post
    Changing the sprocket is not a problem we have a few bikes running around with this mod, my problem is i have struggled to find my data on what changes i made to make this work and its more than just a change in the mapping but i will not divulge to much info at this stage.
    one of my customers im trying to get hold of so i can have his bike back for a few days so i can go through and reconfigure my changes.
    Jase
    thank you...ive always felt that you can UPGRADE the belt and sprocket on a f3-base to a f-3 sport...my mechanic mentioned this too..BUT...not the opposite(DOWNGRADE)...and i know the upgrade wont work on an RT....more work needs to be done..to be honest i wouldve liked to see BRP..make the 2020 RT and touring with a 89 tooth sprocket.

Spyder Garage

Just to follow up, BRP's rep's got me nowhere, they told me to ask the dealership, they just flat out had nobody to give me a solid answer.

Asked the local dealer said maybe but never did it before, would need to dig deeper to see if it can be done or not.

My friend and I just got back from a lengthy trip and his tuned Limited just threw a check engine light for O2 sensor, hoping it was just crappy fuel and a picky tune, so he's gotta battle that now.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jase View Post
    Jase
    Jase, I'm larryd a 2014 RTS owner wanting the 89T set up on my RT...I have a new belt and sprocket in my garage waiting for this to happen...

When you get "all your ducks in a row" please contact me to make this happen...

I know there are several RT owners wanting this along with several F3 owners wanting to make a change...Some 79T to 89T and others 89T to 79T...

THANK YOU FOR KEEPING US INFORMED...VERY MUCH APPRECIATED...

larryd

Spyder Garage

What tune is your friend running?

Spyder Garage

Monster fuel injection stage 2 tune. Just needs a larger sprocket and it’ll really be a screamer.

Spyder Garage

Well guys here’s the deal.

Was at the dealer today, there was an F3 S in their shop, they (I had no idea) were trying to transplant a different sprocket, going to the smaller sprocket.

This customer has deep pockets and the dealer swapped the belt, sprocket, and trans control module, $1200 in parts alone. After 6 weeks waiting on BRP, they officially stated it is not possible, and to reengineer the spyder to accept a different sprocket would merit just buying a new machine. So we have officially given up! Sorry guys. Going to search for an S model.

Spyder Garage

Since the sprockets and belt are essentially dumb the bike can't know what is fitted. However, the feedback must be the encoder disc for the vehicle speed. Using the original encoder will give an engine revs to road speed mismatch. If a replacement encoder is fitted with the same change in ratio of slots equal to the change in sprocket teeth ratio the bike won't know any different. I'd guess an electronic pulse multiplier could be used to intercept the speed sensor signal and multiply it to provide the necessary change in ratio. The speedo will of course show incorrect speed but this is not insurmountable. All imho, of course.

Just thinking about it...the front encoder signal would also need to be changed to match the rear to prevent a mismatch in wheel speed front to rear. That would seriously effect the abs and nanny systems!
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

If I did it again, I'd buy the standard F3 with the 79t rear pulley and buy the cruise control assembly. I very seldom use sport mode and I don't mind the F3 guages. Oh well ...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lets just hope Jase can step up and prove BRP wrong...I'm sure its doable...When they build the Spyder its all in the data downloads that makes the sprocket choice changes, NOTHING ELSE IS DIFFERENT...BRP for some reason just don't want to be bothered larryd

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

I did find this post from 2016 that one can change the sprocket from BRP Care.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1173269
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Transmission ratios are the same in all 1330 SE engines built 2014 to present.
    Good info to know.

Quote Originally Posted by vitodivita View Post
    Right the guy ended up with errors and was pleading for a rep from BRP to help him. Of course he didn't follow up with anybody on the forum on the issue so it's a total mystery as to if it got remedied or not.

I do have an e-mail out to BRP so I can get an official word from them. They escalated it to senior folks so I should get an answer soon.

We reached out to a local dealer and they seemed relatively confident about it but also never dealt with that request before.

Will update when I have more information.
    Hey Vito, if you use the sprocket from an S model in a Limited you should just be able to use the ECU from an S in the Limited with the new sprocket....or am I missing something?
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome