Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Angry Dead on the Interstate.. - latest update

2018 F3L. Purchased new in January 2019. 127 miles from home. Day 8 of a nice road trip. Suddenly the RPM's jumped up to the rev limiter and then I was just coasting along at 70 mph on I35 south of Ames, IA. Almost 100% certain that it's the front sprocket issue. Won't know for sure until next week. My roadside got me off of I35 and a very close friend brought my truck and my trailer and headed south to rescue me. less than 9100 miles on it. 2nd time in the 18 months that I have owned this that it has had to go on a trailer to the dealership because it can not run. B.E.S.T. warranty will cover the repair. But it doesn't make up for the fact that a vehicle with this few miles and this new has issues like this. Just glad it happened close enough to home.
    BKMNI
    RWP!
    2018 F3 Limited
    Intense Red Pearl

2015 Harley Davidson
    FLRT "Freewheeler"
    Vivid Black

2018 F3 Limited Dark , Stock Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Damn, and I thought that BRP had this problem solved but that what I get when you assume. I have a 2017 F3L so I guess it will happen when I least expect it.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Going to watch this as I just purchased a 2019 F3L. Going on 7,000 miles.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Going to watch this as I just purchased a 2019 F3L. Going on 7,000 miles.
    Being totally serious, make pulley removal and inspection a routine maintenance item. Servicing the pulley splines is not overly difficult and will lessen disappointment later.

Mileage to failure varies, but accomplishment aligning with an oil change or calendar items could work well.

Ordering a new spare and traveling with it, is likely wise too if a person has no intentions of accomplishing routine inspections.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why does it seem to be more on the F3 models that this is happening? (front Sprocket)

I have over 34 K on my RT and never had the front pulley issue. But do check it from time to time.

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I put a little over 45,000 (hard) miles on my 2016 F3T and never had the first issue with the front pully
    and I check for the red dust or stain's at regular intervals but never seen any signs of it.
    Is it just the later models or all F3's having this problem?
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bodymanpainter View Post
    I put a little over 45,000 (hard) miles on my 2016 F3T and never had the first issue with the front pully
    and I check for the red dust or stain's at regular intervals but never seen any signs of it.
    Is it just the later models or all F3's having this problem?
    Toby
    I think it can happen with any model. I check mine 2-3 times a year, and before any trip over 400 miles. I have just over 19k miles on my 2016 F3T and have had no problems yet. It's just the luck of the draw.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I know a lot of other manufactures use a drive belt on their motorcycles. Are they having problems with the front pulleys or is it just BRP? It is the origin country that makes the front pulley? Would be interesting to find answers to my questions? Would also be nice that BRP steps up to recognize they have a problem with the front pulleys. Is it a belt tension problem or something else that causes some to fail and others not to fail? Hope someone has an answer.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    I know a lot of other manufactures use a drive belt on their motorcycles. Are they having problems with the front pulleys or is it just BRP? It is the origin country that makes the front pulley? Would be interesting to find answers to my questions? Would also be nice that BRP steps up to recognize they have a problem with the front pulleys. Is it a belt tension problem or something else that causes some to fail and others not to fail? Hope someone has an answer.
    IMHO, it's logical to think that related parts is having an effect on the pulley splines ...... My experience with Spyders began in 09 and I have lowered the tension on all three Spyders I have owned. One of the first things I did for my New 2014 RT was to check and Lower the drive belt tension ..... So far no sign of this issue ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Seems very hit and miss with this issue. Over 56,000 miles on the 2015 F3s that I traded off on a 20 RTL. Never an issue with the sprocket. My wife's 2018 F3L has over 22,000 miles on it. So far no issue, but I do watch for the red dust.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

i will keep a eye on mind and wife's 2018 aand 2019 f3t's
    2019 f3t , titanium

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KenInMN View Post
    2018 F3L. Purchased new in January 2019. 127 miles from home. Day 8 of a nice road trip. Suddenly the RPM's jumped up to the rev limiter and then I was just coasting along at 70 mph on I35 south of Ames, IA. Almost 100% certain that it's the front sprocket issue. Won't know for sure until next week. My roadside got me off of I35 and a very close friend brought my truck and my trailer and headed south to rescue me. less than 9100 miles on it. 2nd time in the 18 months that I have owned this that it has had to go on a trailer to the dealership because it can not run. B.E.S.T. warranty will cover the repair. But it doesn't make up for the fact that a vehicle with this few miles and this new has issues like this. Just glad it happened close enough to home.
    It may be worth you while to check your states LEMON LAW.

Spyder Garage

Believe the photos of failed pulleys indicated Made in USA. Simply splines work best when lubricated. The lubricant does not last forever. Splines wear like other items and should be inspected and relubricated to ensure longevity.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Reminds me of the splines on our fork lifts pumps at work. They do need lubrication but they always wear out at some point and time.

Now the Spyder pulleys have a different type of metal and seems to be the weak link when it comes to rounding out.

Are the specs/tolerances correct from the pulley to the engine spline?

Spyder Garage

Default Front pulley/output shaft issue update

Update to my first post about this.I purchased my 2018 F3L in January 2019. On July 1st something went south in the power to the rear wheel. Can hear it go into 1st gear/reverse but it won't move. Pulley appears to be OK. No hint of the "red rust dust". So I am now thinking it's the output shaft. Pulley appears to have been manufactured December 2016.

I'm trailering it the 90 miles to the dealer on Tuesday. less than 9100 miles and it has been on a trailer to the dealer to be repaired twice already.
    BKMNI
    RWP!
    2018 F3 Limited
    Intense Red Pearl

2015 Harley Davidson
    FLRT "Freewheeler"
    Vivid Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thinking maybe your clutch took a crap and is slipping?

Why not have your warranty trailer it to the shop?

Spyder Garage

I hate to hear people having problems with their Spyders especially when its a model like I own. Knock on wood, that I haven't had any problems with mine but it only has around 4500 miles on it. KeninMn I hope it is nothing serious but thank goodness its still under warranty.

Spyder Garage

. KeninMn I hope it is nothing serious but thank goodness its still under warranty.
    It's not under the factory warranty. One would think so. But the selling dealership did not disclose to me that the warranty was started in April 2018 because they put it in the loaner program. Dr Powersports in Cedar Falls, IA will not get repeat business from us. Took 11 months to get my BEST warranty started. If I had just assumed that it was taken care of I would have found out this May that I didn't have a warranty and I would not have been able to get the BEST warranty. But that is another story. I could do a very lengthy post on the whole thing.
    BKMNI
    RWP!
    2018 F3 Limited
    Intense Red Pearl

2015 Harley Davidson
    FLRT "Freewheeler"
    Vivid Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Thinking maybe your clutch took a crap and is slipping?

Why not have your warranty trailer it to the shop?
    1.Possible. Find out later this week.

2.Because that would take it to the nearest Dealer. I'm not letting them touch it.
    BKMNI
    RWP!
    2018 F3 Limited
    Intense Red Pearl

2015 Harley Davidson
    FLRT "Freewheeler"
    Vivid Black

Spyder Garage

You indicated this happened near Ames, Iowa. As far as I know there is a dealer in Ames, who also has a location in Grimes. Hicklin Powersports. We have stopped in the Grimes store to look a couple times, when we were in Des Moines to visit our son. No experience with them though.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dpetrick View Post
    You indicated this happened near Ames, Iowa. As far as I know there is a dealer in Ames, who also has a location in Grimes. Hicklin Powersports. We have stopped in the Grimes store to look a couple times, when we were in Des Moines to visit our son. No experience with them though.
    I live 130 miles north of there in Southern MN
    BKMNI
    RWP!
    2018 F3 Limited
    Intense Red Pearl

2015 Harley Davidson
    FLRT "Freewheeler"
    Vivid Black

Spyder Garage

It's not under the factory warranty. One would think so. But the selling dealership did not disclose to me that the warranty was started in April 2018 because they put it in the loaner program. Dr Powersports in Cedar Falls, IA will not get repeat business from us. Took 11 months to get my BEST warranty started. If I had just assumed that it was taken care of I would have found out this May that I didn't have a warranty and I would not have been able to get the BEST warranty. But that is another story. I could do a very lengthy post on the whole thing.
    Some dealerships are just dishonest and they are the ones that hopefully won't be around long. Just gives the brand a bad name. I would think that Can-Am would be more selective on their dealerships. I hope you contacted Can-Am about that dealership as they need to know about their shady business practices. Please keep us informed on what they find wrong with your Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Shawn Smoak has had a couple of these where the output shaft snaps in two. I don't know if this is the case with your bike, but he is seeing these output shafts break. He recently just finished a F3. This video is a little older but shows the problem really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9arBo21wnJg

Check video at 11:20.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

" Didn't disclose this bit of info " ... ..... If they in any way led you to believe they were selling You a NEW Spyder .... I'd call your State Attorney General ...tomorrow .... may be they will NOW honor the Warranty you expected came with the purchase ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Have your bike insurance company pay for the trailing to the dealership just a thought!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD