Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bottomline2000 View Post
    the compressor/bag has everything to do with the shock and i understand it's purpose. If the shock is under sprung the shock gets overworked and aerates. It then becomes useless in handling bumps. I know this because my F3s doesn't have a helper bag and starts out riding fine although lower than ideal ride height and after a while i can feel the shock being less effective. Guys with limiteds or RTs with bags have proven you don't really need the bag if the shock has the proper amount of spring was my point and i'd rather keep simple.
    You’ve misinterpreted my post, Bottomline. I agree completely that you don’t need the bag if you have great shocks. My point was that you need the bag to keep the Spyder level when extra weight is added to the rear, if you do NOT have a fully adjustable shock. If you have a shock that can be adjusted on the fly to achieve that, then you certainly don’t need the bag......as I said, it is NOT part of the shock system.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Have fitted stage 4 Elias on 2016 F3s and can recommend this setup. Des

Spyder Garage

On my 2020 F3-S, I just installed a Stage 5 Elka rear shock with hydraulic preload so I can easily change between solo and 2-up riding. Had it customized for my riding preferences and weight range for solo and 2-up with saddlebags. No more bottoming out and the ride is sporty firm but smoother all around.
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Des View Post
    Have fitted stage 4 Elias on 2016 F3s and can recommend this setup. Des
    "Thinking" you mean Elka's ?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    "Thinking" you mean Elka's ?
    Hahaha.... yeah, ‘predictive text” is a wonderful thing, Troop......as long as you then proof read your post a couple of times before sending.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am really enjoying all this banter about "shocks".

Usually, on a motorcycle (especially the rear), the "shocks" are an assembly consisting of a coil spring and a damper assembly. A similar damper is commonly found on cars, and is called a "shock absorber". Very technically speaking, the SPRING is what absorbs the shock, the DAMPER only controls how fast the spring is allowed to react.

With all the discussion above, it can be summarized: "With sufficient coil spring rate, the assistance of an air bag is not necessary." While agree with that, I will also argue the point that there is a very smooth, comfortable and controllable ride with only air as your spring. Well over half of the semi-trucks on the road today have air bag suspension. Mainly for levelling, but also for comfort and protection of the cargo. I used to have a Kawasaki KZ1300 that had S&W air suspension. No metal springs, just air. It was a WONDERFUL ride.

It is unfortunate that air-ride systems today are not quite reliable enough, and have to be relegated to "helper" status. I would love to have a full AIR setup again.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G