Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    For the record, some of the original reviews on the Ryker said the 900 Ace was faster in the corners than the Rally due to better grip in the front. That was attributed to the different tires.
    My understanding was that all Rykers have the same 16" front tires but the 900 and 600 ACE have 16" rims on the rear while the Rally has a 15" rim on the rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    My understanding was that all Rykers have the same 16" front tires but the 900 and 600 ACE have 16" rims on the rear while the Rally has a 15" rim on the rear.
    The front tire size is the same for the Ace and Rally but the Rally tire has a more aggressive tread pattern; like a knobby.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    The front tire size is the same for the Ace and Rally but the Rally tire has a more aggressive tread pattern; like a knobby.
    Thanks,
    I was aware of the back tire being more aggressive but I thought the fronts were identical. Since I'm always on pavement I will most likely be switching to something that holds better when it's time for new tires.

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes, post 3, attachment 1
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

I might be the odd man out but I like the OEM tires that came on my 2020 Ryker Rally. We’ve been having a lot of rain here in north central Fla. as of late. The other day I made a run into Reddick, about 8 miles as the crow flies. Anyways, coming back riding two lane black top I rode right into an oncoming storm, complete with lightning at first, high winds then a deluge of heavy rain in a short amount of time. There was a lot of deep standing water on the road I rode through for at least a good mile, and I didn’t slow down. I was wearing protective gear including a dual sport full face helmet (w/the lengthy sun visor on top). As hot as it’s been (93 degrees Fahrenheit w/a feels like 103 degrees-according to my iPhone weather app) the cool rain water was welcomed but none the less, I kept my speed up (55MPH) as I wanted to get home ASAP. As far as traction mode goes I typically ride with the default setting so VSS was fully engaged. I’ll tell you what, even though I was only traveling at 55 MPH and not @ 70 MPH+ where most complain about these Kendas, my Ryker was firmly planted on the road and considering the standing water I sped through, it didn’t hydroplane once. I felt totally in control at all times. I mean those tires didn’t squirm at all and at the risk of repeating myself, I rode through a lot of standing water @ 55 MPH. I’ll go even further and say if I was on my 92’ airhead GSPD w/their fairly fresh TKC 80’s w/less than 2 K miles on them, I’m not sure I would have ridden at the same brisk pace, and that GSPD is a heavy planted ride. And FWIW, the suspension on the GS is up to snuff, the forks got a recent fluid change and the rear shock is fresher and newer than the tires, and it’s set up (tuned) for my weight

Say what you will about the stock Ryker Kendas but I only have good things to say about mine. Granted, I’m not straffing the roadways like some of you that run often at interstate speeds yet I get out on the interstate and ride it for 15 miles @ 80 MPH (exits 350-368). Okay, that’s 18 miles though more often I’m running between my interchange (368) and hwy 27 exit (a little shorter than 18 miles), w/o a windscreen, and again, no complaints with the handling, nor the tires. Others may have different experiences but that’s my story and I’m sticking to it

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Education is a method whereby one acquires a higher grade of prejudices - Laurence J. Peter
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

That's the thing about them Jake.... they can be sorta OK to begin with.... IF you're lucky enough to get a reasonable set that aren't as troublesome as many - but beware, cos while some are sorta OK... it's often only early in the piece; cos many of them only start to become really problematic &/or deteriorate after they get a couple of thousand miles on them!!

But just as most Spyder/Ryker owners find with fitting BajaRon's a/mkt sway bar, until you've got something to compare them to, you really won't know how bad they may actually be... and most don't discover that about a/mkt sway bars OR'proper' auto tires run in the correct pressure range for the Spyder/Ryker load until they replace them and discover how much better fitting either/both can make your ride!!

So it isn't surprising to me to know that the very first thing most say after fitting either is "Why the didn't I do that earlier!! "
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    I might be the odd man out but I like the OEM tires that came on my 2020 Ryker Rally. We’ve been having a lot of rain here in north central Fla. as of late. The other day I made a run into Reddick, about 8 miles as the crow flies. Anyways, coming back riding two lane black top I rode right into an oncoming storm, complete with lightning at first, high winds then a deluge of heavy rain in a short amount of time. There was a lot of deep standing water on the road I rode through for at least a good mile, and I didn’t slow down. I was wearing protective gear including a dual sport full face helmet (w/the lengthy sun visor on top). As hot as it’s been (93 degrees Fahrenheit w/a feels like 103 degrees-according to my iPhone weather app) the cool rain water was welcomed but none the less, I kept my speed up (55MPH) as I wanted to get home ASAP. As far as traction mode goes I typically ride with the default setting so VSS was fully engaged. I’ll tell you what, even though I was only traveling at 55 MPH and not @ 70 MPH+ where most complain about these Kendas, my Ryker was firmly planted on the road and considering the standing water I sped through, it didn’t hydroplane once. I felt totally in control at all times. I mean those tires didn’t squirm at all and at the risk of repeating myself, I rode through a lot of standing water @ 55 MPH. I’ll go even further and say if I was on my 92’ airhead GSPD w/their fairly fresh TKC 80’s w/less than 2 K miles on them, I’m not sure I would have ridden at the same brisk pace, and that GSPD is a heavy planted ride. And FWIW, the suspension on the GS is up to snuff, the forks got a recent fluid change and the rear shock is fresher and newer than the tires, and it’s set up (tuned) for my weight

Say what you will about the stock Ryker Kendas but I only have good things to say about mine. Granted, I’m not straffing the roadways like some of you that run often at interstate speeds yet I get out on the interstate and ride it for 15 miles @ 80 MPH (exits 350-368). Okay, that’s 18 miles though more often I’m running between my interchange (368) and hwy 27 exit (a little shorter than 18 miles), w/o a windscreen, and again, no complaints with the handling, nor the tires. Others may have different experiences but that’s my story and I’m sticking to it

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Education is a method whereby one acquires a higher grade of prejudices - Laurence J. Peter
    Jake .... Here's WHY you had a good WET road experience ..... The Rallye has OFF-ROAD tires, these tires have much larger spaces between Tread blocks .This enables the tires to shed water much, much better - hence you will have better traction. However on DRY roads they will have less traction than ALL-Season tires .... this info is NOT OPINION ....it's proven scientific FACT ..... another FACT is the Kenda Spyder / Ryker tires are made ( construction-wise ) to a way LOWER standard than any AUTO tire ..... to me this isn't a good thing. If auto tires are properly inflated for the Spyders weight they will provide excellent traction. IF I rode my Spyder RT in the RAIN 90% of the time, I would consider using a tire with a WINTER tread. And " you are not ODD man out " for your opinion ..... someone said " knowledge will set you free ", they were correct imho .... Good Luck .... Mike ................PS, with what Peter added .....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    It appears all new Rykers have ONLY 16 inch wheels ....... So I checked what the Tire Rack has and was surprised to find quite a few in 205/45-16 ...... Vredestein Q-5 has a 205/50-15 for Rallye model ..... only one front tire ( @ 175/45-16 that's 30mm or 1.25 inches wider than stock ) that probably won't fit without mods to the fender and or bracket ........... Did I imagine that the 600 Ryker had 15 inch wheels ???? ............... thanks .... Mike
    I have done some hunting around and posted this as an option for the front tires but nobody had any comments. It is very similar in diameter but .8 " wider.

FEDERAL FORMOZA AZ01 in this size. Thoughts?

145/60-16 165/50-16 Difference
    Diameter inches (mm) 22.85 22.5 -0.35 -1.6%
    Width inches (mm) 5.71 6.5 0.79 13.8%
    Circum. inches (mm) 71.79 70.67 -1.11 -1.6%
    Sidewall Height inches (mm) 3.43 3.25 -0.18 -5.2%

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gcclubs View Post
    I have done some hunting around and posted this as an option for the front tires but nobody had any comments. It is very similar in diameter but .8 " wider.

FEDERAL FORMOZA AZ01 in this size. Thoughts?

145/60-16 165/50-16 Difference
    Diameter inches (mm) 22.85 22.5 -0.35 -1.6%
    Width inches (mm) 5.71 6.5 0.79 13.8%
    Circum. inches (mm) 71.79 70.67 -1.11 -1.6%
    Sidewall Height inches (mm) 3.43 3.25 -0.18 -5.2%
    I think it might be a tight fit inside of the front fenders. Spacers could kick the fender towards the inside to make clearance but then the outside lip/drop of the fender would rub on the wheel. You would need to cut away the outside lip.

which...btw, I am all for....as long as it could be done cleanly. And I don't think that would cause any issues with driving on wet roads since its on the outside of the fender.

Spyder Garage

I see the size of the front tires really as one of the biggest problems of my Ryker, if you ryde on the other side of the world (Austria..) and get a problem like this here ..(in this case someone could help me) your holidays are to forget because of a small whole in your tire, three or four weeks to get a new one ....

on the other side, the tires in the official papers (for Germany) are not listed with the M/C logo - so you are NOT !! allowed to use this M/C Kendas - I have a TOYO on the back, what should I take now for the front if there is nothing in this size available on the market ??

(but 12.000 miles now - without any other "real" problems !!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    I see the size of the front tires really as one of the biggest problems of my Ryker, if you ryde on the other side of the world (Austria..) and get a problem like this here ..(in this case someone could help me) your holidays are to forget because of a small whole in your tire, three or four weeks to get a new one ....

on the other side, the tires in the official papers (for Germany) are not listed with the M/C logo - so you are NOT !! allowed to use this M/C Kendas - I have a TOYO on the back, what should I take now for the front if there is nothing in this size available on the market ??

(but 12.000 miles now - without any other "real" problems !!)
    tire size - 145/90-16 ???? .... a " 90 " aspect ratio tire is something you only see on Genuine motorcycle tires ..... And Mtc's have Mtc tire beads .... the Ryker has " J " beads which are for auto tires ...ONLY .... be sure you know what you might be buying ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Although there are several options for rear (205/45R16), the Can-Am dealer seems the only source for same size (145/60R16 for front).
    The 145/60R16 are not even listed on a Kenda site...proprietary only to Can-Am...for now.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110

Spyder Garage

Chris56 (Austria) suggested 125/7016 tires in post 18
    60% of 145 mm = 87 mm
    70% of 125 mm = 87.5 mm

So, height, as he already documented, should be fine.
    20 mm less width may be OK.

However, I am only finding temporary spares in that size.

Instructions are to run 60 PSI and limit speed to 50 MPH.

The load rating (at that PSI) is higher than stock tires, but it would be one rough ride and the speed rating is 81 MPH.

Spyder Garage

Called the dealer where I purchased my Ryker.
    KR390 (standard), 2 in Las Vegas warehouse, $211.63 for the pair.
    KR392 (rally), to be ordered from Canada, $212.39 for the pair.

Bring in the wheels, they will mount and balance, no charge.

Called the dealer nearest me, where I bought the CB1100
    KR390 $213
    KR392 $223.42
    both are 2-3 weeks from Canada

Bring in the Ryker, (wheels on) and installation no charge.

No question about that, as that was done when I put Pirelli scrambler tires on my CB1100
    Considering the cost for motorcycle tires, I won't complain about tires for the Ryker.

On the CB1100

Replaced stock Dunlops at 10,579 miles with Pirelli Scrambler tires.

MT60 RS 110/80-18 mfg # 2402500 H58 130 MPH 520#

List $221.95 Dennis Kirk $141.88

MT90 150/70-18 mfg # 1421900 V70 149 MPH 739#

List $228.95 Dennis Kirk $128.88

Front came from Dennis Kirk, rear from local Honda dealer (dealer could not get front for 2 months).

Spyder Garage

I just purchased a Rally and it has the black Ryker rims and tires, 16" front and back. What is the reason they went with the 15" rim on the Rally anyway?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tbohman56 View Post
    I just purchased a Rally and it has the black Ryker rims and tires, 16" front and back. What is the reason they went with the 15" rim on the Rally anyway?
    So they could fit a 'more suitable sidewall height' tire. The rolling diameter between the 16" lower profile tire & the 15" higher profile tire is close enough to the same so as to be insignificant re the gearing &/or stability/traction control systems, but the greater sidewall height you get from running the 15" rim & a higher profile tire means the suspension can work better with it and the tire will not only be able to safely absorb more 'shocks' from the rocks & rubble often on rougher roads (incidentally, also increasing the tire's puncture resistance) but it also allows for the sidewalls & tread to flex more & by doing so to maintain a better sized contact patch with the road surface under adverse conditions as well as higher cornering loads & angles!

Reducing sidewall height can mean that you get a 'more direct feel' & less tire squirm during hard cornering; but this comes at the expense of tire & suspension 'compliance' (so you get a harsher ride & to compensate, everything else has to work harder/more efficiently, or amongst other things, the tire either just 'skips' over the top of the high spots on the road surface that are always there, even if microscopically, thereby reducing traction; or if the suspension is too firm, it holds the tire down so that a relatively small stone/obstacle can just punch straight thru the tread & blow the tire!!) and the tire's ability to keep most of the tread face on the road surface whilst being subjected to cornering loads & angles that try to lift one edge... which further reduces traction as the contact patch shrinks & the forces necessary to overcome the little grip remaining also shrinks!!

It's a very fine balance between giving the driver the 'more direct feel' they've been talked into coming to expect from running low profile high pressure tires on relatively smooth, well drained, high traction roads, often at 'low-ish' speeds too, where the risk of traction loss &/or road debris puncture et al is less; and the 'slightly less direct feel' that comes with the better tire & tread compliance that works in concert with the suspension to provide much greater traction & high speed cornering ability, especially on 'less than ideal' surfaces!!

Ever wondered why the tires run on F1 cars are all relatively 'high profile'?? Or why so many other vehicles that run pnuematic tires where 'ultimate performance' in areas such as traction, ride, handling, &/or longevity is significantly more critical than 'how sick those rims look' tend to run higher profile tires too?? Apart from physically making room for bigger/better brakes inside the wheel rim, just about everywhere that the vehicle &/or driver is more concerned about the tire's actual 'in-use' performance than they are about how good the rims & tires look, the tire profile's they run is very likely to be higher..... There's lots of good reasons for that!! Most of them to do with 'better tire performance' in one or more of those aspects previously mentioned.... cos we don't all ride on perfectly smooth, high traction, well drained roadways with few really tight curves to contend with!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2020 at 07:15 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

15 in tires in 205 mm width are available with a more aggressive tread pattern

15 in tires on the Ryker have a higher aspect ratio of 55%, which is 20 mm taller then the 16 in, with a 45% aspect ratio, which would be an advantage driving over rocky ground... As well as the different handling characteristics that Peter just mentioned.