Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Spyder neglected abandoned , Found it and i am bring it back to life

Hello to all,

First let me introduce my self , i Live in Qatar and i am a bike lover since 9 years old ,most of my bikes are maintained by myself currently i own a HD road king 2010(my love) and a Ducati 696 2011.

so the story is i was checking some online ads and i found 2012 spyder fro sale for 1000$ with 17000 km (10563 miles) the guy was calming that the bike is having a issue with the throttle bodies and the dealer quoted him for a repair of 2100$ , so he refused and left it so burn under the hot sun for almost 2 years.

I felt that this is a god deal knowing that the engine is in good shape and have the 2 bros exhaust so i took it from him for 800 $

started working on the bike, got the service manual (pdf) searched for information all over internet did't find alot compared to a HD's, then thank god found spyderlovers where i can share my issues ..

so fare i did alto of panel removal's and omg seems for any service you need to remove all the panels, oil changed (not the filter) just want to make sure the bike starts, and starting the troubleshoot ,

bike cranks with no issues, filled the cylinder with gas and it starts and reves normally for until it runs out of gas ,throttle bodies looks clean nad responsive .

the current issue i am facing is the fuel , turning the key in ignition i dont hear the fuel pump buzzing (i normally hear it in all of my bikes) fuses are good ,did a quick test plugging the battery to the b and c terminals of the pump and it seems dead.
    now before i remove the fuel tanks to check further as it a painful job is their any tips i can get from you guys to move forward.

Dealer visit is out of the way this is a DIY .

thanks you guys in advance

IMG_20200629_221206.jpg

Spyder Garage

Are you getting any power to the fuel pump when you turn the key on? Have you put a meter on it? Can you disconnect the fuel line at the carb and see if it flowing! I haven't really looked at the location of my fuel pump on my bike, but knowing how they like packing a ten pound bag in two pounds, the left side of that tank must be a bear to get to!! That being said I would want to make sure that it's getting the power first and that it's NOT pumping before I ripped it down to find out it was a bad relay or wire! My 2 cents!! Good luck, I hate electrical problems!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Are you getting any power to the fuel pump when you turn the key on? Have you put a meter on it? Can you disconnect the fuel line at the carb and see if it flowing! I haven't really looked at the location of my fuel pump on my bike, but knowing how they like packing a ten pound bag in two pounds, the left side of that tank must be a bear to get to!! That being said I would want to make sure that it's getting the power first and that it's NOT pumping before I ripped it down to find out it was a bad relay or wire! My 2 cents!! Good luck, I hate electrical problems!!
    Well' that a useful step. Yes K, the fuel pump should prime for several seconds after the key is turned on. As the fuses are ok it's out with a volt meter to get to trace the cause.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mikey , i probably would do that before going full retard removing the thank as its the only way to remove the fuel pump ,its located under the main frame and it need to be pulled upwards for the removal.

i also hate electrical problems specially when it comes to tracing cables.

i will keep you posted with the progress

Spyder Garage

This sounds like a nice project, I will follow it with great interest!
    Hopefully it isnt too hard to sort out, and you end up with a awesome bike basically for free =D

Spyder Garage

Indeed it is special in these times

So tested the voltage and all good 12v coming from the wires, so seems the fuel pump is gone to destination lala land.

Comes the tank removal,, grrrr imposibel I removed now all the panels the side frame holding the radiator lowered the break cylinder and nothing. Any advise how to remove this tank

Spyder Garage

Hallelujah, thank out and OMG how filthy it is gas looks like mud .. and and the pump all rusted .... placed a order ffor a Quantum Pump should be here in 15 days if all is smooth mean wile cleaning time

will be posting picture once on the PC...

and i am so scared now to light a cigarette .....

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kilatore View Post
    Hallelujah, thank out and OMG how filthy it is gas looks like mud .. and and the pump all rusted .... placed a order ffor a Quantum Pump should be here in 15 days if all is smooth mean wile cleaning time

will be posting picture once on the PC...

and i am so scared now to light a cigarette .....
    First let me be the first to and on getting a Spyder ..... I think your Spyder is an RSS model ??? ... if so it's an up-grade to the RS ..... CHEAPCYCLEPARTS.COM has multiple Fiches' that will show you where and how all the pieces fit together. .... But even better is getting a SHOP Manual on-line, cost about $30.00 ( US $ ) ....... Finding this web site is the second good thing after buying the Spyder .... lots of smart people here, who will go out of their way to help you ..... you can take a peek at my Albums to see SOME of what I have done ..... To keep you safe after you get it running , take a look at the " Do's and Do nots " Thread for info about the best way to drive the Spyder. That may save you a lot of trial and error ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks BLUEKNIGHT911 really appreciate it , yes its an RSS (to be) thanks again for the site sure i will have a look at it hopping that i will not need to buy many more parts ...the shop manual i got before getting the bike ,read some parts of it to see if i can handle it (better to be ready)
    for the mode i am gonna hold a bit on this ,, lets focus on starting the bike first.

so after my struggle with the fuel tank today below attached is what was inside the tank ( if your eating better to stop).

IMG_20200630_185634_resized_20200630_103829767.jpg

inside tank
    IMG_20200630_191619_resized_20200630_103829286.jpg

rusted fuel pump
    IMG_20200630_191619_resized_20200630_103829286.jpg

dont know if this is fuel or mud
    IMG_20200630_185613_resized_20200630_103830334.jpg

Spyder Garage

OMG that is Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasty ..............Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the photos and the update.
    You are making progress. IMO disassembly is the the hard part.
    Congratulations and welcome to the SpyderLovers site.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

oh my god, what did the past owner do to that bike!!!! Good job so far my friend! What do you think the rest of the fuel system looks like, hope it didn't load the rest of it up with the crap that was in the tank!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

yeh Mikey, hope this did not go in the injectors ,, in all cases i will inspect the fuel lines and cleaning the throttles till they shine and injectors also.... as per the old owner he did not start the bike for 2 years so my guess all the rust build up was from the bike sting idle.

And one quick update ,, because i am a patient guy and i am waiting for the new fuel pump to arrive ,, i rushed to a spare part store and got a 20$ pump to continue the troubleshooting , to find out that the fuel pump is exactly the same .. so now i can confirm that this was already tampered with and they placed a junk in the tank before,, also found some fence wire to hole the pump in palace that initial started the rusting.

So now i am rebuilding the pump assemble ( because i am patient ) and going to put it in a small bucket to continue my tests until the Quantum pump come..

also any good way to clean the tank from inside from the rust ..

Spyder Garage

No doubt you know there's a fuel filter a short distance from the tank on the right side. I use a larger auto filter (easier and cheaper to get) with the same 8mm ends.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    No doubt you know there's a fuel filter a short distance from the tank on the right side. I use a larger auto filter (easier and cheaper to get) with the same 8mm ends.
    and from the pics of the gas tank I'm sure this is also what the inside of that filter will look like ...... Change it also ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Morning Guys, First SHE IS ALIVE

Ok so did a quick test to confirm that the bike is working and tanks god it is..

and yes Freddy i will change the filter, i suppose your talking about this onefilter.JPG.

So now i removed the throttle body started cleaning and ooohhhhh man

this is the befor
    IMG_20200701_235715.jpgIMG_20200701_235726.jpgIMG_20200701_235739.jpgIMG_20200701_235746.jpg

and after some love
    IMG_20200702_004810.jpgIMG_20200702_004819.jpgIMG_20200702_005926.jpgIMG_20200702_005921.jpg

Later on goin to do clean the injector and make sure they are working properly , i will keep you posted guys , i know i will face issues once everything is back

Spyder Garage

While you are there replace all the rubber air lines with silicone ones from any auto parts store. The stock lines are a known issue.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

patient & determined, looking forward to updates as you progress glad to see it has a good home.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-02-2020 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Fixed :thumbup: display

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Tank Cleaning.

Hope this video helps with the gas tank restoration.
    I especially like the coating process to preserve the tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNasREUrUVU
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

I'm enjoying your posts

Keep up the good work, you should be proud of yourself.

Loved the sound of it running!
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Hi guys, Bad News today its family day , so no work was done on the bike

PW2013STL defitly will do that as it s a good measure to eliminate doubts ,appreciate that.

HAZE thanks you for the video , funny thing is that the tank is already soaked in vinegar since yesterday , the coating part i will check if i can ..scared if gaz will not sp good and and will end up with more issues in the engine .

will post updates tomorrow ,

Stay safe

Spyder Garage

If its running until the fuel runs out hen the pump must be working,, right?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    IMO disassembly is the the hard part.
    I never had any problem taking things apart. It's the putting back together thing that causes me issues. I never know what do do with the left over parts.......
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    ...... I never know what do do with the left over parts.......
    Jeez Greg, you never admit that!!

There's actually a simple and obvious solution to 'what to do with the left over parts' - haven't you noticed that every 'good' mechanic has a bin or a box or maybe a shelf of 'might come in handy' bits & odd pieces, parts, & other strange gear'?? And that invariably, that bin/box/shelf is where they go when absobloodylutely nothing else has worked, or when they need an 'odd part' that's impossible to source readily.... and cos that's where all those 'left over bits' and/or any 'after the job spare' bits go, that's where all the spare 'come in handy' or 'lifesaving' bits come from - every time!

So you just need a bin/box/shelf too; just like all the pro's!

I'm obviously not a 'pro' tho.... I don't have a bin, a box, or a shelf.... I've got a whole bleedin' shed full!! So of course, I can never find the bit I need - I know it's in there tho, I just can't readily find it!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

On coating that tank, I have seen personally that coating a tank may not be a good idea! If it don't leak leave it alone would be my choice of directions! My friend had one done once, by some one that should have known what he was doing, painted cars all his life and had all the knloage of paints and what to do with them! After about a year he was having a fuel problem with his bike, come to find out the coating was coming apart and working it's way threw the system! Ended up pealing the coating out and getting the bike straightened out, it was a long summer for him, and getting a new tank the next year. Think hard on coating, if it dont leak leave it alone would be my choice. Un less you could find one in a bone yard some where! Good Luck and GOOD JOB so far, Love that test tank to get her running!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl