Spyder Garage

Default Windshield extension

Anyone with experience using a winshield extension? Recommendations? I ask because I switched to a lower wider F4 on my RT so i can see over it, but doesn't rise high enough in bad or cold weather. I want my cake and...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SAMBILLIE View Post
    Anyone with experience using a winshield extension? Recommendations? I ask because I switched to a lower wider F4 on my RT so i can see over it, but doesn't rise high enough in bad or cold weather. I want my cake and...
    I have heard about Laminar (?) Lip extension that can be added to a windshield .... hopefully someone will chime in and direct you to the web site ..... good luck .... I'm pretty handy at designing things ( check my albums ) and I honestly can't think of a way to Mechanically do what you want with an RT windshield mechanism ...... good luck .... Mike

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Laminar Lip works great

Spyder Garage

I put one on my Can Am Tall Boy windshield and it caused the windshield to flutter enormously when at highway speed. Not sure how it will do on an F4 windshield. I took it off and bought the 25" F4 with the wings.

If you are interested in one I still have mine and would let it go for $45.00 shipping included to the continental US. It's not a Laminar it is a Puig.

Email me if you are interested. campermac@yahoo.com
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Laminar, Puig, Xcreen all have good add ons that should meet your needs. I have an Xcreen and like it a lot especially like that it is instantly adjustable.

Spyder Garage

I have had and tried several on different bikes and they worked well.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    I put one on my Can Am Tall Boy windshield and it caused the windshield to flutter enormously when at highway speed. Not sure how it will do on an F4 windshield. I took it off and bought the 25" F4 with the wings.

If you are interested in one I still have mine and would let it go for $45.00 shipping included to the continental US. It's not a Laminar it is a Puig.

Email me if you are interested. campermac@yahoo.com

I have a tall touring BRP windshield on my '08GS with an extension on and it flutters a lot as well at freeway speeds.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

I have an X-Creen extension and have tried it on 3 different windshields. I found that it's only somewhat useful on the shorter windshields like the Route 129. But on the taller Blue Ridge windshield, it works great to deflect the airstream over your head and eliminate the buffeting.
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

I ride with an X-creen 'Tour' clamp-on style extension on my 2017 F3L. Been almost 20,000 miles without problems; used with several different makes and sizes of windshield (BRP short stock, BRP Tall Boy, F4, etc.). Currently using in conjunction with Lamonster Freedom 17". The X-creen allows almost infinitely variable positions to control wind flow, noise, buffeting, etc. Easy and quick to adjust. Experiment until you find the position you like best. X-creen has two different sizes: "Sport" and "Tour"; the latter is a bit larger (both taller and wider) and is what I believe is better choice for Spyder. Easily removed and re-sold if it doesn't give you what you want. Look around; you may even find a good used one. Photo shows X-creen "Tour" added to BRP short stock shield on F3L. 20190626_173911.jpg
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

LAMINAR LIP they work great

Spyder Garage

Deflector aire_4.jpg
    Deflector aire_1.jpg

I bought this on eBay. Good result for the price and does not need fixed installation.
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

I've been using a Wunderlich wind deflector on my various bikes for 5+ years and think that it has done a nice job. I have it on my F3-L stock windshield now (just crossed 1000 miles with the new ride) and again, good results. While riding this week, I could see large bugs approaching and then deflected way up and over my head. I'll have to see how it does in colder weather before deciding whether or not to buy an F4 etc. taller windshield.

https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/wind-deflector.html
    2019 Can Am F3 Limited

Spyder Upgrades/mods:
    F4 Windscreen,
    Ultimate seat and Driver's backrest,
    Lamonster Fog lights,
    Lamonster Brake Rod kit,
    CanAm Short Reach Handlebar

Other Current Bike: 2009 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Past Bikes:
    2018 BMW C650CT
    2013 BMW C650GT
    2011 Honda SH150i
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue Metallic

Spyder Garage

The windshield on my 2014 RT is very dissapointing comapared to my BMW. I too want to see over it and have an F4, but the aerodynamic are so bad that you cannot look over it without a lot of turbulance and noise in fact is is poor and noisy no matter what height it is said at. I am also looking for solutions. When compared to my BMW the spyder has a much bigger gap under the bottom of the windshield ever when fully lowered.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have X-Screen clamp on touring sized extensions. They look a bit funny but do the job. Cold, wind, snow, sleet, rain...well, rain, you'll experience some water sliding up the stock wind shield and likely land in your lap.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

I've used the Ebay/Chinese version on a couple bikes for wind control. Worked fine.

My spyder screen is too wobbly already, but manages to direct air where I want it. I've a Cal Sci screen a PO mounted. I miss the Madstad my last bike had, and would probably go with that and a different screen over using a deflector. LOT more money going that route.

As with all things except taxes and death, YMMV.
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)