Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Pump issue on Ryker

Hi guys. I’ve noticed my fuel pump makes a high pitched whining noise at half tank or less and if it’s hot out after riding for awhile. It is not the cooling fan as that is a different pitch and I know when that comes on.

I’ve heard some say it’s a known issue on some models but I have not seen any recalls. I have not heard of any failures yet either. I have no power issues so far. Wondering if any of you have had issues with the fuel pump or have had any failures. I have not contacted the dealer yet.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-27-2020 at 07:08 PM. Reason: 'Cooling' not 'cooking' as per (former) post #2
    2019 Rally , Black / Yellow

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I only have 1350 miles on mine but notice when the ambient is hot the pump makes more noise. I have heard a similar noise on an SUV, 20 years ago but that pump was still going at well over a hundred thousand miles when I gave it to my youngest daughter.

Planning on a 500-mile trip on the Extra-Terrestrial highway on Monday. Even with carrying an extra gallon, fuel will be low by the time I get to Tonopah. Will pay attention to how it sounds then.

There was a post on this forum about someone working on quieting the fuel pump, but I do not recall where I saw it.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Known issue. No recall. My bike has been doing it since about 1000 miles. Over 6000 now at all is working fine, just annoying. Does it on hot days when the fuel gauge reads 1/2 tank or below.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like this post

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    Well, Problem identified and solved. It was, in fact, a bad fuel pump. Can-Am only offers a full fuel pump assembly and that assembly is on back order. I disassembled my assembly and extracted the fuel pump and replaced it with the attached fuel pump and it fit perfectly and meets the specifications of the bike at 58 pounds per square inch. Life is once again good and I did not have to wait till November to get a back ordered fuel pump assembly from Can-Am. Fuel pump costs about $80.
    Edit: From this thread -

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ight=fuel+pump
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-27-2020 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Fixed displayed text

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...yker+fuel+pump

Go here and read entire article...

You can purchase a Quantum LIFE TIME GUARANTEED replacement pump for $80.00 or so...

Spyder Garage

After about 1000 miles mine started whining on long trips at about half tank. Good that this is a known issue and hopefully it will not cause a failure where I get stranded by the side of the road.
    If BRP does not replace it as a mandatory update, I sure will talk with my dealer before warranty runs out and try to get it fixed.

Spyder Garage

I just bought a 2019 900 rally with 7300 miles on it. Rode about an 2 hours and about 2 miles from home it died. After about 5 minutes of trying to start it, it started, ran rough, and died again in 500 feet. By the time I got back with a trailer, it started and ran great. Determined the fuel pump was overheating and stalling. I ordered a kit from fuel pump factory and replaced the pump only. Now it will not run. A single fire ocasionally. I checked fuel pressure and was only about 5 psi. I put old pump back in and it was also only 5 psi. And will not run with it either. It worked normal nefore I removed ot. I am stumped. Thanks for any advice.