Spyder Garage

Default Stator Replacement

Well, my system is only generating 12 volts at operation RPM of 4000 rpm, should be at least 13.5. It does not throw an error, and the bike just died, its been throwing me odd nonsense codes I cannot track down, and now I know why.

My question is, how bad is the stator job? Will I need and oil change kit to do it like on most every other bike? Are there any recommended stators to use on the 2013 model Any upgrades? I want to do more electrical stuff, but I wont lie, I have always though this charging system is on the weak side, are there any upgrade options???

Thanks...
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

Does the red battery symbol show on the display at idle? What about when you apply a bit of turning effort to the bar? It should if showing just 12v.

The earlier 990 came with a 500W system, later with 650W which is slightly larger diameter kit. If you raise the left wheel it's easier to do but you must remove the oil tank to gain access from memory.

https://www.powersportsdiscount.com/...ectric-starter
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

May I recommend getting a digital copy of the service manual. They are not expensive and will show all the steps to test to make sure the stator is bad and how to replace it. Yes the oil tank needs to come off and if you have a SE5 model. So does the HCM.

Your 2013 has a 650 watt stator and has lots of power for added accessories. Unless you are planning to put enough lights on to be seen from space.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

its a 12, keep confusing it with my Dart.....
    I know the process for the stator test, its the same from what I read out of the manual, acquired a digital meter so I can get accurate resistance readings, and I will test it tomorrow, I have to jump it to get it fired off.

BUt I will need to do an AC voltage test on the three wiring pairs and check the resistance on the three pairs as well. And you also check for short to grounds on each phase of the stator, I have done dozens of these jobs over the years, I was just wondering about the shifter and other items that may be a pain, yea, its not a big pain, but its the PITA side. (left)...I will start tear down tomorrow after I test.

I think it will just be the regulator. As I pulled into the PO's yard, he was pulling cables off his half ton Ford, and he did shut the motor off before we restarted the RSS, and he said he had to jump it, I knew this would happen when I saw him do that. Never jump off a running car or truck. Not an MC.

Spyder Garage

Oh, I meant its a 2012.

Will I be able to upgrade a 2012 to the 650W kit, more electrical power off the stator means a hotter spark, trust me, its true....I would be very interested in upgrading.

Or is there any of the alternator kits out there like you see on other older bikes....

Oh, thats what I forgot...Absolutely no warning lights or error codes, that why I suspect the regulator. Especially because it IS a MOSFET type, they can act completely normal and be shot....at least when a shunt dies on you you know it, these MOSFETS, they can be tricky...a lot more reliable but tricky in times like this....Thats why I need to test out the stator.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-29-2020 at 06:21 PM. Reason: By-passing language filters

Spyder Garage

FYI, I have a 2013 RT-S two years ago I replaced my battery as it was old and start-up was weak. Well the issue was still intermittent after replacing my battery and one day the bike wouldn't start. Started asking questions about possible cause and was told regulator or stator. Long story short it turned out to be a loose relay in one of the fuse boxes. I ordered a replacement from Mouser electronics plus a spare just in case. I also placed a piece of hard Styrofoam on the relay in order to keep pressure on it when the fuse cover is on. Haven't had a problem since volt meter reads 14volt.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky