Spyder Garage

Default Atlas Throttle Lock

Looking for opinions from anyone who uses one of the devices. Pro-Cons, it is worth the price, alternatives. I do a lot of interstate/freeway travel and I'm looking for a little relief from my poor right hand....
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I have one on my ryker I love it. My hand and thumb get numb pretty fast this has taken care of that issue.

Spyder Garage

I have one and really like it. I do think it's overpriced, as are most of the accessories for the Ryker. I was fortunate to find a used one for less than half price.
    Calling an illegal immigrant an undocumented worker, is like calling the corner drug dealer an unlicensed Pharmacist.
    2019 900 ACE , Stock Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input guys....
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dklehman View Post
    I have one on my ryker I love it. My hand and thumb get numb pretty fast this has taken care of that issue.
    Does it require a lot of in ride adjustment as your going down the road to maintain the speed you set, or is it pretty stable once you set it? I was going to use the Go Cruise, but it did not reach the hand guards to keep the throttle from rolling off unless I added some type of modification, like a small piece of radiator hose which I thought looked a little tacky. I'm looking for something a little "cleaner".
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

It does require that you make little adjustments as you go along due to the vibrations that come from the road conditions. Remember that it is mechanical and unlike a cruise control will not make adjustments such as going up a hill. Make sure you get the 2nd generation of the atlas throttle lock. I had the 1st gen and it was hard to engage and release. The 2nd is mush easier to do both. I have it on my 2013 ST.
    2013 ST , Black

Spyder Garage

Will a Cruise Miester fit your Ryker? have you looked at them. I had an 86 Venture that the cruise failed on and I could not find the problem so I used just a simple throttle lock. Are those still made?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Does it require a lot of in ride adjustment as your going down the road to maintain the speed you set, or is it pretty stable once you set it? I was going to use the Go Cruise, but it did not reach the hand guards to keep the throttle from rolling off unless I added some type of modification, like a small piece of radiator hose which I thought looked a little tacky. I'm looking for something a little "cleaner".
    This is my "Numb Hand Reliever" I like it a lot. The extension is a tie strap cut way down. I think I used some strapping tape under the electrical tape.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Will a Cruise Miester fit your Ryker? have you looked at them. I had an 86 Venture that the cruise failed on and I could not find the problem so I used just a simple throttle lock. Are those still made?
    I Googled it and it doesn't seem like it would work.... But thanks for the input...
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Ever since a prosthetic joint in the base of my right thumb made hanging on to things (like the throttle) for any length of time just a little problematic, I've used these 'Cramp Buster' jobbies - admittedly, the one linked below is on Aussie ebay, but I'm sure you can get similar over there!

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/2838210523...iABEgKA9fD_BwE

A fair bit easier to install and a helluva lot cheaper than a/mkt throttle locks &/or cruise control units, and works very well at stopping your throttle hand from seizing up - works so well in fact, that I got one for the LH side too, helps a lot on the longer rides!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

First post on this forum for me, I highly recommend the atlas throttle lock. What I do is lock the throttle based on RPM, not speed, and if I'm going uphill or downhill it will decelerate or accelerate but I can fine tune it (it's not necessarily locked). I rode 320 miles today on the Ryker (personal record) and my wrist feels great because I was able to take a lot of breaks.

Spyder Garage

i use a cramp buster, they are about 6 bucks on amazon. takes a little fiddling to get it in the right spot but after that you just rest your palm on the pad.

Dave

Spyder Garage

I got one for my wife to use on her Ryker 900. It works well enough, although we think it is overpriced. Wife says that it does sometimes work a little loose after riding awhile, so she has to release the lock and reset the throttle before re-engaging the lock.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On other bikes, I have tried cheaper versions of the Atlas (NEP and others), as well as the Cramp Buster. I found the NEP type too "fiddly" and basically threw the Cramp Buster into the ditch before it made me put the bike there.

Is there room on the Ryker to mount a Vista Universal Throttle Lock?

I have them mounted on any bike that does not have an electronic cruise control.

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Both Sportsters came with factory throttle locks.
    Compact, unobtrusive and functioned well...for a steady grade or level or steady descent.
    That was not a usual situation in SoCal, so they were rarely used.
    Would be good in Florida or the plains states or anywhere there are long level stretches.

I added electronic cruise control to a base 2019 Kia Soul manual trans, simply by installing steering wheel switch assembly.

Be nice if the Ryker ECM were programmed to control throttle motor by set speed, rather than throttle position.
    Perhaps future years will have that option, although the Ryker seems more intended as a roadster, rather than cruiser.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black