Spyder Garage

Default Back rest in an accident

I am wondering whether a back rest may be a safety hazard in an accident when the impact causes the body to snap backwards. I wear a vest with a back protector so maybe that would reduce the impact. Is there any real world facts on this issue. Any opinion?

Thanks
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    I am wondering whether a back rest may be a safety hazard in an accident when the impact causes the body to snap backwards. I wear a vest with a back protector so maybe that would reduce the impact. Is there any real world facts on this issue. Any opinion?

Thanks
    I have my doubts whether or not any crash testing was done and this type of injury was checked ...... the RT model, except for 2020, has Always had a passenger backrest ... Built onto the machine .... ( in 2020 it's optional )... I ride 99.999% of the time with both hands used ....... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Same goes with top boxes, many fit quite snug against the rider and act like a back rest.
    Personally I would not worry about it. The potential added risk of a backrest in case of an accident is probably quite low, when taking the overall risk of any motorbike into consideration.

Spyder Garage

I can't see the rider backrest on a Spyder, or any trike, being a safety hazard in case of an accident. I would think a backrest will be safer, as it may keep you in place for a short time and keep your body from flailing around while the initial impact is happening. On a 2 wheeler many accidents involve the wheels coming out from under the machine - leaning too far in a corner, slipping on sand or oil, hitting small objects in the road, etc. The dynamics of an accident are much different on a trike. An incident on a trike would be more like a car accident than a bike accident - most likely involving another vehicle, or in the case of a single vehicle accident a wall, tree or other stationary object. ATGATT may help a little in a trike accident with armor at the pointy parts like elbows, knees and such, but "Dress for the slide, not the ride" is not too applicable to a trike.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue