Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't get the impression that the Toyo Proxes T 185/55 tires will impair your riding.

I've seen a few posts where folks may have misinterpreted my post about the ToyoProxes T 185/55-15 tires.

If your tires are roaring, you're just one step away from having her spoiling your fun. But while they roar, they stick to the road like glue
    was my quote. Now, I don't want you to think these tires upset the nanny because they DON'T! I have yet to have the nanny interrupt my fun with the Kendas or these Toyo tires. They seriously make this bike more stable and much more fun! For example: On State Park Road, there is a 60° left sharp curve and halfway through that turn for some reason there is an off camber dip in the road (off camber meaning the road changes from banking for a left that helps make the turn into an opposite bank that hinders it creating a nightmare). With the Kendas, that change in bank made the road want to pitch me into the right hand ditch. With the Toyos, no problem. They just get a bit louder and navigate the turn just fine faster than I ever could with the Kendas. I barely notice the hazard.

I've experimented with pressures from 18# to 22#. I run 20# right now and have settled on that being the proper pressure. 20 PSI will do it. No slop and no feeling every pebble in the road. Just sweet sweet traction.

Don't hesitate getting these tires.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    I've seen a few posts where folks may have misinterpreted my post about the ToyoProxes T 185/55-15 tires.

was my quote. Now, I don't want you to think these tires upset the nanny because they DON'T! I have yet to have the nanny interrupt my fun with the Kendas or these Toyo tires. They seriously make this bike more stable and much more fun! For example: On State Park Road, there is a 60° left sharp curve and halfway through that turn for some reason there is an off camber dip in the road (off camber meaning the road changes from banking for a left that helps make the turn into an opposite bank that hinders it creating a nightmare). With the Kendas, that change in bank made the road want to pitch me into the right hand ditch. With the Toyos, no problem. They just get a bit louder and navigate the turn just fine faster than I ever could with the Kendas. I barely notice the hazard.

I've experimented with pressures from 18# to 22#. I run 20# right now and have settled on that being the proper pressure. 20 PSI will do it. No slop and no feeling every pebble in the road. Just sweet sweet traction.

Don't hesitate getting these tires.
    I hope you realize that you tire PSI goes up 3-5 psi from COLD to HOT .... so if you start out at 20lbs cold 5 to 10 miles down the road it's now at 23 to 25 psi ...... For a Spyders weight an Auto tire doesn't need this much pressure - Period .... " and the truth will set us free " ..... ride safe - ride happy ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike

I've been riding two wheels, 4 wheels, now 3 since I was 16. I am now 71. I know all the ins and outs of checking tire pressure. I actually wrote a page on such things.

http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Mike

I've been riding two wheels, 4 wheels, now 3 since I was 16. I am now 71. I know all the ins and outs of checking tire pressure. I actually wrote a page on such things.

http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear
    ... I apologize for NOT knowing everything you know ...... I won't happen again ...... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I'll bet if you ask 10 other 71 year olds how much their tire pressure increases from cold to hot , half won't know and the other half will get it wrong ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ... I apologize for NOT knowing everything you know ...... I won't happen again ...... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I'll bet if you ask 10 other 71 year olds how much their tire pressure increases form cold to hot , half won't know and the other half will get it wrong ..... Mike
    Indeed.

Spyder Garage

Hey Rattlebars, loved your inputs on the Valkyrie back in the day. KUDOS TO YOU!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PapaHotel View Post
    Hey Rattlebars, loved your inputs on the Valkyrie back in the day. KUDOS TO YOU!!
    You humble me! :blush: Thank you!

Spyder Garage

Mike

In a nutshell, is the increase in TP from cold to hot approximately 10%, if inflated correctly?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I'm so confused about tire pressure. I still have the original tires on my F3t. I run them with 18 psi on the fronts, and 24 on the rear. My dealer inflated them to almost double that when I had my first oil change and check up. I set them back the way I read in the manual. I read here that others run the rear at like 17 psi. I think the rear tire looks to be wearing like it's a bit over inflated. (wearing more in the center area.) Fronts seem fine. I just can't see running the rear that low. Should I?
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t
    2018 F3T , Position 5/ full size Matt Black

Spyder Garage

I know some of you might fall outta your chairs to see me recommending anyone put MORE air in their rear tire, BUT, carsong, if you've still got an OE Spec Kenda on the rear, it NEEDS to have at least about 27psi in it if not as much as 28-30 psi!!

Those Kenda tires are very lightly constructed; not only do they use LESS material to make them, they also use LIGHTER materials to make them; and I won't go any further into their appalling quality control here..... suffice to say, if you don't have AT LEAST that 27 psi sort of pressure in a KENDA tire fitted to the rear of your Spyder/Ryker, you'll be risking a catastrophic tire failure, and that type of failure could be truly CATASTROPHIC!!

As for the rapid wear rate of the centre of the tread, you are correct in that for any 'proper' tire, that would most likely be due to over inflation, but because of the lightweight construction of the Kendas, it doesn't matter how much or how little air pressure you've put in it, the centre of the tread will be 'thrown out' and expand as the tire revs (just like a drag tire) so you'll end up wearing that centre strip more than anything else!! You just can't avoid it with the OE Spec Kendas, even if you might be able to reduce it marginally (altho that's probably only really achievable by crawling around at low speed... 40 mph or less type low) - when it comes to wearing the centre of the tread on an OE spec Kenda fitted to the rear of your Spyder/Ryker, that's due to the way the tire is made, and NOT due to over-inflation to anywhere near the extent it would be if it was any other tire!

Bottom line for the OE Spec Kendas is that THEY NEED TO RUN THEIR RECOMMENDED PRESSURE OR YOU RISK CATASTROPHIC TIRE FAILURE!!

So carsong, you are running a DANGEROUSLY LOW tire pressure for an OE Spec Kenda on the rear of your F3!! You SHOULD be running something closer to the tire placard recommendation for your Spyder, which AFAI can recall, is in the vicinity of 28-29 psi +/- 2psi

It's ONLY if you are running a better quality, better constructed, 'normal' car tire on the rear of your Spyder/Ryker that a lower pressure is appropriate - ie, if you've fitted any 'proper' car/auto tire, something that's NOT a lightly constructed OE Spec Kenda!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carsong View Post
    I'm so confused about tire pressure. I still have the original tires on my F3t. I run them with 18 psi on the fronts, and 24 on the rear. My dealer inflated them to almost double that when I had my first oil change and check up. I set them back the way I read in the manual. I read here that others run the rear at like 17 psi. I think the rear tire looks to be wearing like it's a bit over inflated. (wearing more in the center area.) Fronts seem fine. I just can't see running the rear that low. Should I?
    with Peter on this ....Those folks are running ...17-18 psi ... in the rear are doing this with ....AUTO TIRES ....NOT Kenda's ...... I know tires and recommend ( for many reasons ) to inflate that Kenda to 28psi ,.... they need that much air to safely support the Load ...... hope this helps .... Mike :thumbup

Spyder Garage

Peter is on the mark. The Kenda rear is like a balogna (balony ?) skin. When you get up to speed, the center balloons out. Pressure has little to do with it. Baja Ron recommends 17 in the front. On the Kendas, if I put more that 22 or 23# I felt every bit of gravel on the road.

Always fill your tires cold according the the manufacturers. Don't know what climate you might reside in, but my wings always lost a pound per 15° reduction in the ambient temp in winter. Now that I no longer reside up there during the "valley of the long shadows" I don't care much. Lowest temp I ever rode in was 10°F. I NEVER want to do that again.

Spyder Garage

Peter is on the mark. The Kenda rear is like a balogna (balony ?) skin. When you get up to speed, the center balloons out. Pressure has little to do with it. Baja Ron recommends 17 in the front. On the Kendas, if I put more that 22 or 23# I felt every bit of gravel on the road.

Always fill your tires cold according the the manufacturers. Don't know what climate you might reside in, but my wings always lost a pound per 15° reduction in the ambient temp in winter. Now that I no longer reside up there during the "valley of the long shadows" I don't care much. Lowest temp I ever rode in was 10°F. I NEVER want to do that again.
    Ha! I grew up around Akron, Ohio. Started riding motorcycles in my late teens. In the cold months, my mark was 40 degrees. After living in Florida since 1980, I laugh to think of riding in 40 degree weather! Now, low 60's, and I'm freezing! I went for a ride, today, and it was 98!

PS: I filled my rear tire to 28 psi.
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t
    2018 F3T , Position 5/ full size Matt Black