Spyder Garage

Default Long distance touring on a Ryker

I’ve been wanting to take a long distance trip on the Ryker. My wife and I took a 400-500 mile round trip recently broken With longest day around 200 miles. The Ryker did great! I’m wanting to take a 2400 round trip tour . I’m thinking we may be able to do 1200 miles in 2 days, then stay and your the area a few data then drive back 1200 miles over 2 days. Wondering what your thoughts are if you would take the Ryker on a cross country tour? Reliability? Comfort and storage not an issue for my wife and I as I have the Ryker pretty much set up the way I want.

Thoughts?
    2019 Rally , Black / Yellow

Spyder Garage

Personally, I think a 2400 mile, two up road trip is a little ambitious. It might be alright for a single rider, but I have the passenger seat and back rest and to be honest that does not look like something I'd want to park my butt on for 2400 miles.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Should be possible. We did some 1.000 miles tours last year. we have now now 12.000 miles. For this year we planed a longer tour to Spain (Marokko) - Corona canceled it ..
    But we normally do not use the Highway (Autobahn) here in Europe, so the maximum for one day is 300 - 400 miles, if we have to ryde over the mountains we need 8 hours for only 300 miles !! (like on the video)

We changed to longer shocks (400mm) on the front, she is now around one inch higher than before. some roads here are really bad, would be too dangerous to ryde with the original height,
    With the lower passenger seat my girl sits more "behind" me, so we can do around 90 miles/hour maximum for a while.(our engine has a little more torque than the original)
    And 2up the ryker "lies" better on the street, the brakes are fantastic.

So have a good trip and send us a report of it !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMlDtJwZDv0&t=15s
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

It is all going to depend on what you and your passenger feel like. The Ryker was not built for touring, but many are doing it, and happy about it at that. A few have even come up with great mods for touring.

See chris56 above.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well out of all the various Spyder models in the past 11 years the Ryker is going to be the most challenging for a long haul tourer ..... Chris 56 has done the most to ... HER ... Ryker to make this possible ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well out of all the various Spyder models in the past 11 years the Ryker is going to be the most challenging for a long haul tourer ..... Chris 56 has done the most to His Ryker to make this possible ..... Mike
    not me. it was my girl - she loved the design of the Ryker when she saw the first pictures, much more "sporty" than our "old" Spyders - we sold our 2010 RT (30.000 miles) - for that money I had a little Budget to prepare the Ryker .. after 12.000 miles.. an unbelievable Adventure-touring-bike .. not really a problem with her !!
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Yeah I may have to scale back the distance. Interestingly I get fatigued faster than my wife. She has been fine on it for about 2 hours at a time. I may add padding to the air hawk seats and add floor boards. If I do the trip - won’t be this summer but I have a few more test trips to so what needs fine tuning. One thing - the Ryker seems more “planted” with a passenger and luggage . Abs highway is smoother than twisties. So far though I’ve been surprised at how far I can push the envelope on the Ryker with distance and duration - it has been a blast so far

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One can tour on anything that you want. I took a 550 mile trip on a 50cc Mobeylette MoPed back in 1962, I had a good friend, since passed and did a Coast to Coast and a Border to Border on a Cushman single speed 5 HP scooter.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Yes you can do it. People ride bicycle cross country. Just get on it and ride

Spyder Garage

Many years ago now, I was sitting by the side of a back country dirt road in the shade of a tree, about 500 miles from anywhere & just enjoying the scenery during a short break from riding during a cross country sprint on my Honda CB 750, when I heard the unmistakable sound of a tiny single cylinder 125 cc 'Postie bike'.... and I KNEW there was no Postal service where I was, so WTF?!? So I got up & as the bike approached, I waved the rider down. Turned out he was from Denmark, 10 months and many 10's of thousands of miles into an extensive 'Round the World Epic Adventure' - all on a bloody TINY step-thru motorbike that had spare fuel & gear strapped all over it!!

His bike was absolutely loaded; he only had broken English; but he'd successfully travelled thru Europe, down the West Coast of Africa, up the East Coast, across the Middle East, thru Asia, down the Indonesion Archipelago, along the spine of PNG, & was now 1/3rd of his way around Australia.... and fully intending to complete the Aussie circumnavigation AND do a North/South crossing before hitching a ride for himself and his bike over to Southern Chili & then working his way back and forth across South America, then going North across the Panama Isthmus, & on into & thru North America, crossing the Bering Straight & eventually riding across all of Russia & finally Eastern Europe before heading back to Denmark.

I kept in contact with him thru his travels, and eventually met up with him again in Copenhagen just a couple years back, where the Missus & I got a preview of his 'soon to be published' book (in Denmark/Danish only tho, at least at this stage... ) and saw all his pics & mementos from his successfully completed 'Around the World Trip'!! It took him a few years, but he did it, and he did it on a tiny step-thru Postie bike!!

So Snayl, if it's possible to go around the World on a single cylinder step-thru motorcycle, then I reckon you should be able to go anywhere you set your mind on and damn well WANT to go on a Ryker, even if you hafta pace yourself so your body holds up! Go on, Do It!! You know you want to!! Just prepare well, and take your time! Life's just too short as it is, so don't let any opportunities pass on by!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Appreciate the encouragement!!! Now just gotta find the time off ��