Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boomerman View Post
    I am thinking about purchasing sheep skin cover for my seat and I would like to hear opinions of sheep skin covers both pro and con.
    Do they really help keep your butt cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter?
    My current setup is the stock seat on a 2015 RTS with an airhawk pad and last weekend my butt and back were soaked.
    YES YES YES A MUST. I purchased one for my wife and I when we got the RT. I will tell you. When I picked up the bike I rode it back 600 plus miles home in 30-40 degree weather no SHEEP SKIN...my butt was wet on the way home. This summer for example. I did a day ride (with sheep skin )in 80-85 degree weather and my butt way dry when I got home. I would HIGHLY recommend it. I purchased ours at ALASKAN LEATHER. Great company and fast shipping...Excellent quality and service.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkryder View Post
    Some swear by sheepskin, some don't. If you aren't sure about spending $100 or more on an experiment, check out Ikea. They have sheepskins for about $30 for Rens, Sejerby or Smidie, and $50 for the larger Sejling. (I don't even pretend to understand Ikea's naming conventions.)

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/products/?q=sheepskin

We had them on our old Goldwing trike before we got fabric custom seats, and they did work well, same as the more expensive items. They aren't as finely cut or shaped as the more expensive skins, but they can be easily cut to shape. No attachment straps, but we just put a weight on them to keep them in place. Also easy to take off and store in the trunk if it rains.
    Thanks, I went to Ikea today and then to Ace Hardware for Nylon strap and quick connector. Give DW the biggest part and the quick connectors are under the seat, so they should not easily grow hooves and wonder off. About 42 dollars and I bought four quick disconnects and only used two so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkryder View Post
    If you aren't sure about spending $100 or more on an experiment, check out Ikea. They have sheepskins for about $30 for Rens, Sejerby or Smidie, and $50 for the larger Sejling. (I don't even pretend to understand Ikea's naming conventions.)

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/products/?q=sheepskin
    I believe they're named after Dutch/Swedish/Danish cities, towns, areas. (IKEA was started in Sweden.)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I bought a genuine sheepskin cover for my 2018 RT. It's in perfect condition other than a small slit cut in the middle for a backrest. I traded the '18 in for my current '21 RT. The seat is shaped completely different. The cover has all the cutouts and straps to fit the earlier seat. I could cut it up and sew new straps on it to fit my drivers seat (I couldn't care less about the pillion) or I could sell it and buy one to fit my specific bike. What do you guys (and gals) think?

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

I am thinking about purchasing sheep skin cover for my seat and I would like to hear opinions of sheep skin covers both pro and con.
    Do they really help keep your butt cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter?
    My current setup is the stock seat on a 2015 RTS with an airhawk pad and last weekend my butt and back were soaked.
    They work wonders.
    Yes, they help you cool when warm and warm when cool.
    But. . . They absorb the minute movements between the seat and your jeans and reduce the chafing. Think as a friction reducer.
    My opinion is a short, dense nap. Something like 3/4” - 1” thick, not the long hairy skins you see at the state fair.
    We have always used a skin since 1985 while touring. I haven’t ever bought a premade skin, but have bought pelts that match the color of my bike.
    Fitting a pelt to the seat is pretty easy. With a sharpie, x-acto knife and needle and thread I could get the skin to lay perfectly. Remember, it only needs to be where your body touches the seat.
    I never used straps to secure it. When the rain came, we just took it off and put it in a saddlebag. If it only covers the top of the seat, it really isn’t very big. We rode in the rain with it on until we stopped the first time, then it came off.
    If you are having long day issues, my opinion is sheepskin first, then airhawk. The sheepskin won’t raise you sitting height, an airhawk will. Used together you can ride forever.
    Give it a go, you’ll like it.

ba
    2019 F3-T Liquid Titanium

“we are all products of those to whom we have chosen to listen”
    2019 F3T , titanium

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Misty Mountain seat covers all the way!!! Great price, super product, awesome customer service and fast on and quick off.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arachnyd View Post
    They work wonders.
    Yes, they help you cool when warm and warm when cool.
    But. . . They absorb the minute movements between the seat and your jeans and reduce the chafing. Think as a friction reducer.
    My opinion is a short, dense nap. Something like 3/4” - 1” thick, not the long hairy skins you see at the state fair.
    We have always used a skin since 1985 while touring. I haven’t ever bought a premade skin, but have bought pelts that match the color of my bike.
    Fitting a pelt to the seat is pretty easy. With a sharpie, x-acto knife and needle and thread I could get the skin to lay perfectly. Remember, it only needs to be where your body touches the seat.
    I never used straps to secure it. When the rain came, we just took it off and put it in a saddlebag. If it only covers the top of the seat, it really isn’t very big. We rode in the rain with it on until we stopped the first time, then it came off.
    If you are having long day issues, my opinion is sheepskin first, then airhawk. The sheepskin won’t raise you sitting height, an airhawk will. Used together you can ride forever.
    Give it a go, you’ll like it.

ba
    I have both an airhawk as well as a sheepskin. I bought the sheepskin from Alaskan Leather out of NM. The sheepskin by itself was not sufficient but it and the airhawk are much better and most days I can ride for 4 hours before I have to go for a bite to eat or at least a cup of coffee.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I bought a genuine sheepskin cover for my 2018 RT. It's in perfect condition other than a small slit cut in the middle for a backrest. I traded the '18 in for my current '21 RT. The seat is shaped completely different. The cover has all the cutouts and straps to fit the earlier seat. I could cut it up and sew new straps on it to fit my drivers seat (I couldn't care less about the pillion) or I could sell it and buy one to fit my specific bike. What do you guys (and gals) think?

HAGO!
    If you don’t finish & hem the cuts they will tear leaving you having to replace anyway.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Good suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    I always have one on my bike. I don't see any negatives just positives. Bought several from https://alaskaleather.com/
    Thanks for the info.....just ordered a seat pad from the Alaska a place.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

I've got a 2018 RT Limited and have had a sheepskin seat cover for 2 seasons now and love it.. It's custom made for the seat and works for both warm and cold weather.. got mine from something Mountain Skeepskins? try one and you won't be disappointed.. believe it was a bit over $100
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

I’ve used Alaska leathers for several of my bikes. The 1 inch sheared sheepskin comes in black or brown. Makes a heck of a difference. I believe the spider RT takes a large. Good luck, Peter

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    I’ve used Alaska leathers for several of my bikes. The 1 inch sheared sheepskin comes in black or brown. Makes a heck of a difference. I believe the spider RT takes a large. Good luck, Peter
    You believe correct. I bought a large from Alaska Leather for my ‘14 RTS.

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Spyder Garage

Love the Sheepskins. No adverser comments. However, with the backrest on, then the Sheepskin - you may have to hold the seat up when gassing up. A bit irritating.

Spyder Garage

We still use the AK Leather sheepskins from time to time. Bought them in person from their shop when we lived there. Good people to deal with.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Have had a short nap natural sheepskin on my spyders since 2011. No butt problems no matter the length of the ride.
    Ray
    "Instead of arriving in Heaven in a nice well perserved body I'd rather slide in feet first, all beat up, loudly proclaiming thank you Jesus for a great ride!"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Many brands View Post
    Love the Sheepskins. No adverser comments. However, with the backrest on, then the Sheepskin - you may have to hold the seat up when gassing up. A bit irritating.
    I have a backrest on mine and with the sheepskin on the seat stays up no problem when refueling.

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Spyder Garage

I ride a 2012 RT with the original seat. The Spyder spends its life outside because I have no garage. The seat was ripped, torn, and looking terrible. I asked a local upholstery shop how much to re-cover the seat with "pleather" (fake leather). He quoted me $600, which I thought was outrageously high. I bought a genuine sheared sheepskin seat cover, and I love it. Its easy to slip on and off, and secures with elastic straps and leather ties. Since it is 100% real sheepskin, I make sure it doesn't get wet (unless I get caught in the rain). It was a bit pricey, but worth every penny. It looks great, is very comfortable, and hides the ripped and torn original seat. :-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Just received mine in the mail.....looks nice.....time will tell.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    I have both an airhawk as well as a sheepskin. I bought the sheepskin from Alaskan Leather out of NM. The sheepskin by itself was not sufficient but it and the airhawk are much better and most days I can ride for 4 hours before I have to go for a bite to eat or at least a cup of coffee.
    I currently have an Airhawk and it works well, but in the desert I need a little more and the combo you have will probably do the trick. I have never had a motorcycle butt anyway. 1. Did you get the Large sheepskin from Alaskan Leather? 2. Do you just lay it over the Airhawk?

Thanks, Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    I currently have an Airhawk and it works well, but in the desert I need a little more and the combo you have will probably do the trick. I have never had a motorcycle butt anyway. 1. Did you get the Large sheepskin from Alaskan Leather? 2. Do you just lay it over the Airhawk?

Thanks, Bob
    The Airhawk just sits on the seat, and then the sheepskin is strapped to the seat over top of the Airhawk. If memory serves me correct, Alaska Leather recommends the size sheepskin based on your bike. I believe it was large. The sheepskin comes with tiedown straps attached.

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Spyder Garage

Bruce, Thanks for the reply. I will be ordering a Large from Alaska Leather today.

Bob

Spyder Garage

The sheep seem to like them.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    The sheep seem to like them.

Oops, looks like you didn't have permission to post the photo link, or the photo got taken down. I saw it earlier today!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Oops, looks like you didn't have permission to post the photo link, or the photo got taken down. I saw it earlier today!
    That pic is showing fine for me?? Both in Gwolf's post AND in your quote! Don't know what's going on, but it seems like it might be with your device &/or software?

Not sure about that 'dangly bit' on the seat cover being too comfortable to sit on tho?!? .
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-03-2020 at 06:43 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    That pic is showing fine for me?? Both in Gwolf's post AND in your quote! Don't know what's going on, but it seems like it might be with your device &/or software?

Not sure about that 'dangly bit' on the seat cover being too comfortable to sit on tho?!? .
    Check the message again after you refresh the page. When I opened up the page on my tablet it was there, both this morning and just now. Obviously it displayed from cache the second time. Then I refreshed the page and it disappeared. I never did see it on my PC.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)