Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Sheep skin seat cover opinions

I am thinking about purchasing sheep skin cover for my seat and I would like to hear opinions of sheep skin covers both pro and con.
    Do they really help keep your butt cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter?
    My current setup is the stock seat on a 2015 RTS with an airhawk pad and last weekend my butt and back were soaked.
    2015 RTs , Black

Spyder Garage

I wear mesh riding pants and light weight nylon trousers in summer and notice no unusual heat. In winter I wear Levis and overpants and have never experienced cold butt down as low as mid-twenties. YMMV.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boomerman View Post
    I am thinking about purchasing sheep skin cover for my seat and I would like to hear opinions of sheep skin covers both pro and con.
    Do they really help keep your butt cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter?
    My current setup is the stock seat on a 2015 RTS with an airhawk pad and last weekend my butt and back were soaked.
    Yes and yes ...... If you can , have them easily removable or just don't use in the rain ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

My wife swears by hers hot or cool temps. I have a small one on the Moto Guzzi because the seat gets really hot when parked in the sunshine and they do keep the seat bearable.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I had a sheep skin cover on one of my Harleys. It works as advertised in hot . No more wet seat after a long ride or a super hot seat after setting in the sun. It does collect a lot of dirt. So keep that in mind when installing it. It will have to come off occasionally to be cleaned. If it gets wet while riding you will need a rain suit to keep your butt dry for a different reason.
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

We just got back from a 2,000 mile ride to GA. My wife tried my long hair sheep skin and it made a significant difference keeping her dry. She is considering buying a short nap one from Alaska Leathers. Another option is beads. The porblem is finding the correct size for the seat though.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Thanks to the OP! I have a Fur Coat from Di-vorce #2. It's an expensive Black Fur that legally can not be sold in my State (I'd rather not say What poor animal it's from) sooo... I considered just chunking in the GoodWill Bin or? Since it's Black I do Believe I have a Darn Nice Seat Cover material. I'm hoping it's large enough for a car seat and then hopefully the Spyder seat. I'll keep you posted.

Spyder Garage

I used to run a Tandy Leather store. We sold sheepskin covers for both cars and motorcycles. It really is true that real, natural, sheepskin is a great add on. They keep the heat off in summer and the cold off in the winter.

Be careful of "genuine, imitation, sheepskin." These are usually half the advertised price and will bunch down, rather than staying resilient. The old saying, you get what you pay for is mostly true here.

The good stuff is not real easy to find these days. It was a big deal in the 90's. Try Alaska Leather, they do mail order, and still sell the good stuff.

I have two sheepskin/gel seats from them, 10 years old, and still used from time to time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The wife has had hers on her F# Limited for over 2 years. Swears by it. Cooler in summer and warmer in winter. How does it know????

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had one for awhile. Felt scratchy on my butt! I let it go when I sold the 2013 RT.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I thought they were dorky until we were riding in 100° weather and Joe, who had a sheepskin, got off his bike and his pants were dry, I got off mine and my pants were wet. When we got hone I ordered a Misty Mountain Sheepskin and have had one ever since.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I had one for awhile. Felt scratchy on my butt!
    You're supposed to wear pants. ATPATT (All The Pants, All The Time)

Spyder Garage

Another option if you like: IMG_6528.jpg IMG_1863.jpg
    IMG_1862.jpg found at Bass Pro, straps under seat with Velcro straps, quite adjustable & stays in place when seat is lifted
    (when strapped right) leave it on 24/7 np in rain, does collect some dirt & grime between it & seat, simple to remove strap or two & wipe off with rag or towel, won’t really notice how much till you do clean there.(or if rains while at hotel & try drying seat in morning )

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

your 2 sheep skin but pad will be here monday
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

I always have one on my bike. I don't see any negatives just positives. Bought several from https://alaskaleather.com/
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frigmall View Post
    The wife has had hers on her F# Limited for over 2 years. Swears by it. Cooler in summer and warmer in winter. How does it know????
    And a lot of people say that sheep are dumb.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If you’re going to the Deadwood rally, there is a great leather store out of Hill City that has great prices and colors. We have bought several from there.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

I got mine from I believe Misty Mountain that was made for my RT Limited seat. It is great both summer and winter. Matter of fact, our NISR group was on a ride today with 90 degree heat and high humidity and it was a blessing I had it..
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

I've got a 100% real natural shearling sheepskin seat cover on my 2012 RT. It has 2 elastic things that slip on the font seat "wings", and rawhide straps that tie to the rear seat handles. I love it. No more scorching my butt when I sit on my Spyder after its been in the blazing sun for hours. However, I always take it off when I'm done riding. Its not supposed to get soaking wet, but its cool and comfortable. :-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I thought they were dorky until we were riding in 100° weather and Joe, who had a sheepskin, got off his bike and his pants were dry, I got off mine and my pants were wet. When we got hone I ordered a Misty Mountain Sheepskin and have had one ever since.
    That has been my thought that they look dorky but after my last ride I decided to ask and if they do work who cares if they look dorky, I want comfort hahahaa
    2015 RTs , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Another option if you like: IMG_6528.jpg IMG_1863.jpg
    IMG_1862.jpg found at Bass Pro, straps under seat with Velcro straps, quite adjustable & stays in place when seat is lifted
    (when strapped right) leave it on 24/7 np in rain, does collect some dirt & grime between it & seat, simple to remove strap or two & wipe off with rag or towel, won’t really notice how much till you do clean there.(or if rains while at hotel & try drying seat in morning )
    That's an idea I had not seen. thank you for the tip
    2015 RTs , Black

Spyder Garage

the sheep skin covers are definitely cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter!! I got mine from Misty Mountain also..
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

I got my shearling lambskin seat cover for the RT from Wildthingsfur.com... Its plush, great looking, comfortable and easy to put on and take off. If I get caught in the the rain, I can pull over, take the sheepskin off, and put it in the frunk within one minute or less. :-) It was a bit pricey, but the local upholstery guy wanted $600+ to recover the seat (in fake leather!). I told him I could buy a whole replacement seat for less than that, and he said "go ahead and buy one then". I won't be doing business with that smart-ass.

Spyder Garage

I had a 3/4” natural shearling awhile back on a Virago! It was a full skin and I just laid it over both seats Like a saddle blanket, it stayed put! I loved it for temp control but I bought it to reduce irritation from a high pressure point centered on the front tong of the drivers seat! The shearling helped distribute my weight more evenly and made longer rides more comfortable!
    I’m noticing a similar issue with my 2020 Spyder RT L and I’m considering another shearling! My question now is if a 3/4” or the 2” length would be most effective! Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated!

Spyder Garage

Some swear by sheepskin, some don't. If you aren't sure about spending $100 or more on an experiment, check out Ikea. They have sheepskins for about $30 for Rens, Sejerby or Smidie, and $50 for the larger Sejling. (I don't even pretend to understand Ikea's naming conventions.)

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/products/?q=sheepskin

We had them on our old Goldwing trike before we got fabric custom seats, and they did work well, same as the more expensive items. They aren't as finely cut or shaped as the more expensive skins, but they can be easily cut to shape. No attachment straps, but we just put a weight on them to keep them in place. Also easy to take off and store in the trunk if it rains.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue