Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I have to respectfully disagree with those who would let a stranger, who is not familiar with a bike, NEVER ridden one, and is not properly trained take any bike of mine for a spin. What is the purpose of test riding? Is it to see if everything works as it should? How would this guy know? He knows NOTHING about Spyders. Having never ridden one, he would not know if it handles correctly or not. Is the test ride to see if he likes Spyders? As far as I'm concerned, do your window shopping elsewhere. There are some dealers who do demo rides and even places to rent a bike. But to have an inexperienced, uneducated person take off on MY bike? No thank you. If he is concerned about the bike functioning correctly, have him do a buyers inspection at his choice of dealership. He can then learn how to ride the bike when it is HIS. Most people with no Spyder experience and just coming off years of 2-wheel riding do not initially like how Spyders handle. This has been discussed on this forum many times. Why risk the sale on a prospective buyers very first exposure to the unique riding experience on a Spyder? I bought my last 7 bikes WITHOUT test riding them. I did my research and knew what I wanted. The only time there was ANY concern was ME learning the different riding technique for Spyders. It took me longer than most.

So, to each his own. No free rides at my house until the cash is in my hand..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

One thing i haven't seen mentioned is did they even show up with a helmet? That would stop me from even offering to give them a ride.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I totally agree with canamjhb. If the guy had total amount of cash I wanted for my bike Id sell it to him but he wouldnt get his test ride till title was signed over an spyder was his. If he hurts himself test riding it, WHO do you think he is going to SUE. Yes ME ! I never got to test ride any of the motorcycles from dealers before I bought them. Didnt even test ride a Spyder. I just bought it an rode it home 3 1/2 hrs at the speed limit. Just felt natural riding it no problems.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I’ve test driven every vehicle I’ve owned, BEFORE I’ve purchased them. Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles and yes, my Spyder. Before I’d part with my hard earned cash.....I test drive. Everyone who says NO, did you not test drive any of the automobiles before you bought them? Bikes and Spyders are NO DIFFERENT. And I would walk away from any seller who says NO to a test ride!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    I’ve test driven every vehicle I’ve owned, BEFORE I’ve purchased them. Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles and yes, my Spyder. Before I’d part with my hard earned cash.....I test drive. Everyone who says NO, did you not test drive any of the automobiles before you bought them? Bikes and Spyders are NO DIFFERENT. And I would walk away from any seller who says NO to a test ride!
    You would even let someone test drive your Spyder WHO HAS NEVER DRIVEN ONE BEFORE ??

You got more cojones that I do, LOL.

So do you have any conditions and stipulations ?? I'm curious to what they are.

If *I* was forced to give a test ride to some inexperienced buyer, I'd have his cash in my hand with the condition "if you crash it, you just bought it".
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post

You got more cojones that I do, LOL.
    Maybe not.....if you’ve read my two comments on this thread, you’ll see that i’m speaking as a ‘Buyer’. Any bike I’ve sold privately has been to other riders. All the others I have traded in at a dealer, so I haven’t been faced with the problem. I stand by my comments as a purchaser....I would “walk away” if no test ride, and that stands true at a dealers also. “NO TEST RIDE, NO SALE”!

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Spyder Garage

Maybe not.....if you’ve read my two comments on this thread, you’ll see that i’m speaking as a ‘Buyer’. Any bike I’ve sold privately has been to other riders. All the others I have traded in at a dealer, so I haven’t been faced with the problem. I stand by my comments as a purchaser....I would “walk away” if no test ride, and that stands true at a dealers also. “NO TEST RIDE, NO SALE”!
    Speak as a seller then. If some buyer who has the same “No test ride, no sale” philosophy as you (which I think is a good one), how would you solve your dilemma ??

Would you just say, “Sorry bud. No Spyder riding experience, no test ride” ??

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

Btw, I take back my statement “If *I* was forced to give a test ride to some inexperienced buyer, I'd have his cash in my hand with the condition "if you crash it, you just bought it"”

One can damage the bike without crashing it, then I’m SOL.

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

Good opinions ALL. There are good arguments for both sides. Let em ride without to much heat back and forth.

In the end, if the seller decides to let someone ride, what happens, happens. It's your Spyder, do what YOU think is right.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    Speak as a seller then. If some buyer who has the same “No test ride, no sale” philosophy as you (which I think is a good one), how would you solve your dilemma ??

Would you just say, “Sorry bud. No Spyder riding experience, no test ride” ??
    Too many variables for a cut and dried answer. That would have to be after speaking with the prospect, gut feeling, etc. Each individual possible sale would have its own answer to that. NO blanket answer, other than I, personally, would try not to place myself in that situation.

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Spyder Garage

For those that do test rides, I am curious as to why? I'm not trying to be antagonistic. Just curious. In the past, I have purchased 6 different Goldwings including my current trike. I didn't test ride any of them. One of them was purchased from a private party. That bike still had over a year left on the transferable factory warranty. And, I was given all the service records. The other 5 Goldwings were purchased from dealers. I also bought my Spyder from an out of state dealer. It was also covered by warranty. My test ride was riding it 1200 miles home. Additionally, In the last few years I bought a CanAm Outlander and a CanAm Commander. These are off road vehicles that I bought new from a dealer. No test rides. And I'm pretty certain if a prospective buyer insisted that the dealer take the vehicle out of town to test ride on a trail he would be told to take a hike.

Maybe I'm a different kind of purchaser. I just research and decide upon what I want. Then shop for what suits me, make sure any know issues have been addressed, look at vehicle history, condition, and negotiate my best price. For me, there is no reason to test ride. Especially the Goldwings. I know how they ride.......

My take on the situation from the OP is the purchaser probably wanted to see if he liked riding a Spyder. The chances are that he most likely would not for reasons previously posted and discussed many times here. Lots and lots of Spyder riders here who thought they made a big mistake buying a Spyder on their first ride. Why would the OP want to take the risks involved with a first timer with no skills or knowledge? When I sold mine the situation was exactly like the OPs. The buyer was an elderly gentleman who was giving up 2-wheeling after many decades of riding. He did a lot of research and knew what he wanted. He knew the things on my bike like car tires, BajaRon bar, upgraded shocks, etc. addressed areas of weakness on the Spyder. He asked to take it for a spin and I declined. I was honest and told him he probably wouldn't like it until he has had a chance to develop the different skills needed on a Spyder. He knew exactly what I was talking about because he had researched that too. We spent over an hour going over the bike, it's history, service records, and talked about riding technique and learning curve. He gave me a cashiers check for my asking price and rode away with his wife following in their car......

And the debate goes on....... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    For those that do test rides, I am curious as to why? I'm not trying to be antagonistic. Just curious. In the past, I have purchased 6 different Goldwings including my current trike. I didn't test ride any of them. One of them was purchased from a private party. That bike still had over a year left on the transferable factory warranty. And, I was given all the service records. The other 5 Goldwings were purchased from dealers. I also bought my Spyder from an out of state dealer. It was also covered by warranty. My test ride was riding it 1200 miles home. Additionally, In the last few years I bought a CanAm Outlander and a CanAm Commander. These are off road vehicles that I bought new from a dealer. No test rides. And I'm pretty certain if a prospective buyer insisted that the dealer take the vehicle out of town to test ride on a trail he would be told to take a hike.

Maybe I'm a different kind of purchaser. I just research and decide upon what I want. Then shop for what suits me, make sure any know issues have been addressed, look at vehicle history, condition, and negotiate my best price. For me, there is no reason to test ride. Especially the Goldwings. I know how they ride.......

My take on the situation from the OP is the purchaser probably wanted to see if he liked riding a Spyder. The chances are that he most likely would not for reasons previously posted and discussed many times here. Lots and lots of Spyder riders here who thought they made a big mistake buying a Spyder on their first ride. Why would the OP want to take the risks involved with a first timer with no skills or knowledge? When I sold mine the situation was exactly like the OPs. The buyer was an elderly gentleman who was giving up 2-wheeling after many decades of riding. He did a lot of research and knew what he wanted. He knew the things on my bike like car tires, BajaRon bar, upgraded shocks, etc. addressed areas of weakness on the Spyder. He asked to take it for a spin and I declined. I was honest and told him he probably wouldn't like it until he has had a chance to develop the different skills needed on a Spyder. He knew exactly what I was talking about because he had researched that too. We spent over an hour going over the bike, it's history, service records, and talked about riding technique and learning curve. He gave me a cashiers check for my asking price and rode away with his wife following in their car......

And the debate goes on....... Jim
    My opinions are above. But...for what it is worth, out of almost 30 bikes over the years, I have only test driven TWO. A new 78 Kawi 650, and a 650 Beemer. The Kawi won. In 84, I tested the Yamaha Venture and a Gold Wing. The Venture won.

All my Spyders were purchased sight unseen. I did kick tires at a different dealer from the one I purchased on my latest (2019 F3L). Have never had buyers remorse.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-27-2020 at 01:11 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I test rode my current ryde, having never ridden a tryk before. I rode maybe 15 km’s total at speeds never over 60 kmh and then bought it. For those who have never test ridden a bike prior to purchase, what about cars? Did you purchase all of them before test driving? As a buyer, why should there be a difference?

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Spyder Garage

I test rode my current ryde, having never ridden a tryk before. I rode maybe 15 km’s total at speeds never over 60 kmh and then bought it. For those who have never test ridden a bike prior to purchase, what about cars? Did you purchase all of them before test driving? As a buyer, why should there be a difference?
    Interesting point BBB. RE: Cars....test drove every one I bought. and some I decided not to buy based on the drive.

The thing that might be present here, is that NOT everyone can drive a motorcycle from the get go. The Spyders with three wheels a little easier, but two, the hand clutch, the hand brake....that can be a problem for some. I was scared to death on my first mc ride and it showed. I got to ride it after I bought it. They were not so dumb.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-27-2020 at 03:40 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

For me, it’s a case of having to try it out because of my arthritis. In some cases....F3 for example, the brake is not as accessible as on the RT, hence my insistence on a test ride (more than just up and down a parking lot), and we’ve all agreed that without an m/c license there is NO test ride. Common sense must prevail.

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There were a couple bikes I bought out of state and had shipped with no test drive. I barely put 1800 mile on them and sold because I hate them. If I could of test rode even down the street would not purchased in the first place. Food for thought.

Spyder Garage

Me? I've never purchased a motorcycle that I haven't test driven, or in the case of showroom new, at least test driven a demo unit. When I sold my Goldwing, I let the new-owner-to-be test ride it. If I were him, I'd walk away without a test drive. I'm just not rich enough to impulse buy a vehicle without being sure *this is what I want".

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A few have mentioned private party test rides and dealer test rides. There's a HUGE difference between the two. The biggest difference is liability/insurance. The dealers have insurance in place that covers test rides, most owners don't. Mine doesn't cover anybody but me. Dealers also have lawyers on retainer. If you total out a new Spyder (or whatever) and refuse to pay even the deductable, all it takes is a phone call to their attorneys to put a suit in motion.

Spyder Garage

Never. I would never allow someone to test ride a bike I am trying to sell. Every bike manufacturer has test rides, including BRP. A prospective buyer should know what he/she wants first.
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

I would never purchase a used vehicle that I can't drive. How does it shift? How does it brake? Any unusual sounds/noises? Of course I can test drive a new, similar vehicle. I want to test drive a used ?? model year with ?? miles to see if it's up to snuff. If I'm selling a vehicle for ?$, they can give me a deposit of ?$. Being a retired LEO, I will also ask to see DL for proper endorsement, proof of insurance card and sign a statement saying liable for any damages during said test ride. If it bothers them, bye bye....

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue