Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Test Ride, do you let them?

My wife is selling her Spyder RT Limited and someone wants to buy it and take it for a test ride.
    He said he has never ridden a Spyder before. He just sold his Goldwing and now wants to ride on 3 wheels because his family is concerned about 2 wheel accidents.
    I was thinking of following him on my bike so if he gets into trouble, someone is there.
    What about if there is any damage to the bike? Do I make him sign an agreement to pay for damages?
    Ride Safe

Spyder Garage

Unless he rides up on his Spyder, he doesn't ride mine. Even at that, I don't even know if I'd let him ride mine. Tell him to go to a dealer for a demo ride.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

do you want to sell it

Spyder Garage

If he is happy and wants to buy it, and just want to take it for a spin before sealing the deal. Then have him pay a deposit (like 20-30% of the trade perhaps), and the only way he gets the deposit back is if he finds a dealbreaker by something not beeing as adverticed. That's how I'd do

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tell them you can take him/her as a passenger or just up n down the street only by self. Worst that could happen is they hit another car or mailbox. Even crash into garage lol

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    Tell them you can take him/her as a passenger or just up n down the street only by self. Worst that could happen is they hit another car or mailbox. Even crash into garage lol
    to take them for a ride .... this will establish your Spyder functions as it should .... Spyders arn't anywhere near to TWO wheel Mtc's. in they way they handle ..... An expert on a two wheeler could easily lose control or overcontrol a Spyder .... Someone who already has a Spyder is a different story .... I highly recommend to any seller .... Contact your insurance company or agent and find out EXACTLY where they will stand if someone damages or wrecks or DIES operating your Spyder.... An owner could lose EVERYTHING they have if this goes really bad ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

If it is really necessary to close the deal and you are willing to take a chance, take him to a wide open parking lot.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would let them if I felt comfortable they were seriously looking to purchase after I met them.

If they can ride a 2 wheel bike they can ride a Spyder.

As long as you have full coverage insurance on the bike they will be covered if they are in an accident

If I had 2 bikes (or could use a car) I'd follow them just to be sure they didn't run into any issues or need help. As an example. They stop and turn the bike off. Then it doesn't start because they didn't push the mode button or step on the brake or something stupid like that.

Personally I very rarely meet the person at my house if I'm selling something. I find a neutral place to meet, like a nice big empty parking lot and let them give it a spin around that.

Spyder Garage

Absolutely NO! Many reasons have already been mentioned here. First time Spyder riders coming off a 2-wheeler usually don't do well and take several hundred, if not more, miles to be comfortable. You can go over your service records with the potential buyer. Or offer to take the bike for a buyer's inspection at a dealership (at the buyer's expense). But under no circumstances let a buyer take your bike for a ride, even just around the block.

I sold my Spyder a few months ago to a gentleman whos' first time on a Spyder was when he pulled out of my driveway to ride it 80 miles home.... AFTER he paid for it in full with CASH. I spent some time with the buyer going over the bike and demonstrated how things worked. I advised him that there is a learning curve to riding a Spyder and told him to just go slow. This buyer responded to my ad within an hour of me posting it and I had 2 others wanting to see the bike if he didn't buy it. A month or two after selling the bike, I saw him passing by in the opposite direction. I do believe he had a big smile on his face....... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Ok, it looks like our Insurance "Progressive", has Permissive Coverage. That allows someone to ride it and they are covered if they hit someone or crash the bike.
    We would have to pay the deductible, which I would make them pay, plus reimburse us for any costs of repairs.
    Ride Safe

Spyder Garage

Great question, gosh I would be apprehensive also. If I give advice here would it make me also liable? I remember to test ride the Spyder first I had to watch a video, and then the instructor went over all the safety protocols, Then they showed me how all the basic stuff worked and then I took a little test course ride, practicing stoping and turning. (important cuz now they have to get use to stoping with there right foot.) I signed a wavier, showed my license, and I would probably want to see they had valid insurance. They could also familiarize themselves with a test ride at one of the local dealerships first. Then try yours out once they became semi familiar. No worries about loosing a potential sale because yours would be a much better price than the dealership.

Looks like you have a 2014 RT, and you bought it you said from a friend. How did that go for you?

So for me I would let a new potential rider ride mine after we met in a big empty parking lot

Spyder Garage

TicketBait,

The friend we bought it from, knew we had been on multiple Spyder Demo rides. Anytime one would be within 50 miles, we would go.
    She was also a member of our Goldwing Chapter, but unfortunately her husband passed away and could no longer go with the Chapter on rides, so she bought the Spyder.
    Our friend expected us to buy it and dropped it off at our house and said, ride it for a week or so and if you want it let me know.
    I think I will ride my Goldwing ahead of them and lead the way around our neighborhood at a slow pace so he can follow.
    We have a parking lot at our retirement center clubhouse, I will take him there first and let him ride it in circles and also practice using reverse. Then head down the street about 1/2 mile and then back again.
    If he rides the bike home, I believe he lives about 20 miles away.
    Ride Safe

Spyder Garage

Casually ask the intentions of the test ride. If to see if they like a Spyder, then maybe not. If serious and just mechanically checking it out, then I would allow it if I truly wanted to sell it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Absolutely, I'll let them test ride the bike........as long as I have the full asking amount IN CASH in my hand. Otherwise, they can watch me ride the bike up and down the street.

Spyder Garage

Maybe I'm just paranoid but who says he comes back once he leaves . Unless you have the cash in hand I wouldn't feel safe letting it go .
    2019 f3-s , Blue

Spyder Garage

I think the best way to do it is to take the person for a ride as a passenger. They can then verify that everything is working.

If you are brave, let them drive and you be the passenger.

It is a scary world out there. What used to be a given, now gets twisted around and the good guy (you) usually gets the short end of the stick.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree with ARTraveler but, bottom line is Do You Want to Sell It or NOT. Put the shoe on the other foot. What if you were wanting to buy.....wouldn’t you want to test ride it before shelling out thousands of dollars? jmho wtfdik

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

This has been my policy for years and years, regarding a test ride of one of my bikes that is for sale. When they show up, I get to see their driver's license and check for a Motorcycle endorsement. I also check to make sure it is a valid (not expired) license. The understanding is this....whatever price I'm asking for the bike, they hand over to me in cash....cold hard cash. They also understand that if they bring the bike back, totally undamaged and they decide NOT to buy it, the only thing I'm out is a bit of my time and a few ounces of gas. Any damage to the bike, and I hold all the cash until which time the repairs have been made. I will then return whatever is left from the original amount they gave me..minus the repair cost. If the bike is damage beyond repair or totaled, they just bought a totaled bike. If they return and say they want to buy it, I already have the cash, we sign the necessary paperwork/title and they can take it home. Pretty simple and it cuts way down on the tire kickers and joy riders.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by triplethreat View Post
    This has been my policy for years and years, regarding a test ride of one of my bikes that is for sale. When they show up, I get to see their driver's license and check for a Motorcycle endorsement. I also check to make sure it is a valid (not expired) license. The understanding is this....whatever price I'm asking for the bike, they hand over to me in cash....cold hard cash. They also understand that if they bring the bike back, totally undamaged and they decide NOT to buy it, the only thing I'm out is a bit of my time and a few ounces of gas. Any damage to the bike, and I hold all the cash until which time the repairs have been made. I will then return whatever is left from the original amount they gave me..minus the repair cost. If the bike is damage beyond repair or totaled, they just bought a totaled bike. If they return and say they want to buy it, I already have the cash, we sign the necessary paperwork/title and they can take it home. Pretty simple and it cuts way down on the tire kickers and joy riders.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PGDoug View Post
    Maybe I'm just paranoid but who says he comes back once he leaves . Unless you have the cash in hand I wouldn't feel safe letting it go .
    If he came in a car. I would think he would come back. If he walked to my house then no. When I sold my 15 RTS the guy was taking the 3 wheel course. Couldn't ride yet. He bought it and trailered it home. It still had over 2 year warranty left so he didn't worry I guess.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

All valid comments however having recently been through the process of buying a used Spyder this is what I experienced.
    I did read this (and the Australian) forum for some time before joining especially tips and tricks and experiences of new to Spyder owners. I also read all the do's and don'ts and downloaded the operator manuals for the models I was considering (Ryker and Spyder).
    We have quad bikes (and 2 wheelers) which helped me to feel a little more at ease when preparing for the test ride.
    My son (honestly I think this boy can ride/drive anything) and I went for test rides at a dealer on a Ryker 600 and F3 LTD. We were obviously extra careful given how different they are to 2 wheelers however the test rides went really well.
    I rode a used RS on the way home and had no issues and then test rode a few others in the following months. One I was not allowed to ride and I went as a pillion. Not a great experience as I did not like the way he rode so it actually put me off the trike.
    I did notice when I did get to ride others just how different the feel was even on Spyders in the same model range. One in particular just didn't feel right and I would only be able to tell this if riding it myself.
    Finally travelled some distance to ride a ST-S and that one ticked all the boxes especially the comfort and riding position. The RS/RSS s all caused a twinge in my hip so I am glad I persisted and rode a few.
    Having said all that yes it is with some trepidation I let anyone drive/ride a vehicle I am selling. I think Flyboyron you are on the right track (and others have suggested it) taking them to a parking lot and ensuring you are comfortable with their abilities on the Spyder.
    Don't know what I will do if there comes a time to sell the ST as I know if any relative or friend other than aforementioned sons ask to ride it the answer is NO.
    Good luck with the sale.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

So when buying out of town or out of state, do you guys take actual cash even if the amount is over $10k (meaning government forms to fill out at the bank)?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    I agree with ARTraveler but, bottom line is Do You Want to Sell It or NOT. Put the shoe on the other foot. What if you were wanting to buy.....wouldn’t you want to test ride it before shelling out thousands of dollars? jmho wtfdik
    There are many dealers out there that will not even allow a test drive. When Spyder first came out, 2007/08, one of the news reporters took a new 2008 SM5 for a ride. It was crashed and totaled.

These days, it's a crapshoot. If you have bad vibes, DON't let them take the bike alone. I am still in the take them for a ride or let them take you for a ride on the Spyder, as a test drive.

That way, you are always with the bike and the potential buyer. People walking up with $20K cash in hand are very rare these days. Most likely not going to happen.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-26-2020 at 09:55 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I would not purchase a used motorcycle without riding it first. If this were me. I'd take my Spyder to a large, open parking lot. Explain some things to the perspective buyer about operating it. And have them ride around the parking lot until I was confident that they could take it for a spin.

There are risks in everything we do every day. You can mitigate the risks. But you'll never eliminate them.

One thing I have learned when test driving/riding anything is. #1, make sure you know how to stop the vehicle, and that it will stop. Stopping is always your go to solution. Yet, many just assume that pressing on the brake will get it done. Make sure this is true before you do anything else. I always strive to impress this on anyone I'm showing a vehicle to.

Good luck with the sale!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-26-2020 at 10:17 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

You have insurance, no?
    You have a large parking lot or open area somewhere, no?

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black