View Poll Results: If Honda built a better tryke, would you buy it ??

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I would be interested in something Honda would build

106 87.60%
  • No - I’m too much of a BRP fan boi

15 12.40%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I'm down to one motorcycle - from 5 in 2014. It is a Honda VTX1800C. Incredible motorcycle.

But, I joined this forum several years ago thinking I might move to a Spyder. I have tried to read as much about this machine as possible - all from this site.

There is one overriding issue with the BRP Spyder. That is BRP and it's dealers. It seems to me that BRP isn't really in the Spyder business. They are more focused on Rotax, snow sleds, etc. And their dealerships, from what I have read here, seem to confirm that 'non-commitment.'

Maybe I am wrong, but selling vehicles that then immediately need a 'Laser Alignment,' their cavalier attitude towards dealer support, etc., has turned me off.

I would consider, and I currently am considering, a Slingshot. Or, a Honda front trike.

Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

Re: Sturgis trikes, canamjhb quotes, in part -

But, big problem. The Manufacturer of Sturgis pulled all of their kits from the U.S. There was an overheating problem because that nicely shaped frunk did not allow enough air to get to the Goldwings radiators.

So it looked good, was a fine idea, but released prematurely before some of the bugs were worked out. Hmmm... sounds familiar. No, not just picking on Can Am, that's why we don't buy the first year of two of a new vehicle.

About Honda coming up with a Gold Wing trike - some years ago in the early 2000's on the Steve Sanders Wing forum and the GWRRA forum (maybe others, those were the 2 I was on) the theory was that Honda would never make a trike. The reason was the early ATV's with 3 wheels were prone to tipping over, and were eventually banned by the government after many accidents and some deaths. Honda was a, if not the, major player in the segment and the scuttlebutt was in order to not get huge fines Honda agreed to never make a trike. When Honda came out with the design and rendering of the Neowing in 2015 there was speculation this was a way to get around the ban on Honda making 3 wheelers. Mostly BS I think, as HD is doing pretty well (relative to other sales) with their trike offerings. There are various proven designs both traditional and reverse trikes in the market for the Goldwing. If Honda thought they could design and make a trike of some sort with enough profit I'm sure we would have seen one by now.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is another option for the Goldwings...The only ones available with the DCT

https://endeavortrikes.com/2019-2/

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkryder View Post
    Re: Sturgis trikes, canamjhb quotes, in part -

But, big problem. The Manufacturer of Sturgis pulled all of their kits from the U.S. There was an overheating problem because that nicely shaped frunk did not allow enough air to get to the Goldwings radiators.

So it looked good, was a fine idea, but released prematurely before some of the bugs were worked out. Hmmm... sounds familiar. No, not just picking on Can Am, that's why we don't buy the first year of two of a new vehicle.

About Honda coming up with a Gold Wing trike - some years ago in the early 2000's on the Steve Sanders Wing forum and the GWRRA forum (maybe others, those were the 2 I was on) the theory was that Honda would never make a trike. The reason was the early ATV's with 3 wheels were prone to tipping over, and were eventually banned by the government after many accidents and some deaths. Honda was a, if not the, major player in the segment and the scuttlebutt was in order to not get huge fines Honda agreed to never make a trike. When Honda came out with the design and rendering of the Neowing in 2015 there was speculation this was a way to get around the ban on Honda making 3 wheelers. Mostly BS I think, as HD is doing pretty well (relative to other sales) with their trike offerings. There are various proven designs both traditional and reverse trikes in the market for the Goldwing. If Honda thought they could design and make a trike of some sort with enough profit I'm sure we would have seen one by now.
    Single front wheel trikes are inhertantly unstable in turns/curves. It's just a fact. Picture going into a curve/corner and having to hit the binders. Gravity will flip you. Two front wheel trikes are crazy stable. Picture the same scenario. We all know from experience that the worst thing that might happen (even w/o the Nanny) is a slide. If Honda were to come up w/a good 2 front wheel trike, they might have a winner. Their current (aftermarket) trikes just won't cut it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is a VERY INTERESTING POST by "IdahoMtnSpyder back on 9-7-16...as to WHY you want your 2 wheels in the front...THANK YOU IdahoMtnSpyder

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...65#post1178965

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post

Wow they should hire that guy!
    "Friend to those who have no friends. Enemy to those who need no enemies. Headache to those who have no aspirin."~ The Phantom Texter
    2019 F3 s , Neutrino Aurora Accessory Fuse Block Blue

Spyder Garage

Larryd....... I did look at that option before buying my traditional trike. It looks like a good product. For me, it came down to cost and value of the end product. My Goldwing was a 2002 model and had 115,000 miles. It was a great bike and never even had a hiccup. But, by the time I bought the endeavor kit, including the options I "needed", paid for shipping, painting, assembly and sales tax I was up to $18,000. It just didn't make sense to put that much money into my poor old wing. If I had a much newer wing, I probably would be riding an Endeavor trike today. Notice how they kept the frunk low so as to not interfear with airflow for cooling. That was the downfall of the Sturgis kit...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wilpir View Post
    They also make a four wheel version! Yes you supply your own Goldwing...Saddle bags and trunk hold more than the spyders….
    Yup

http://www.hannigantrikes.com/produc...0-quadracycle/
    "Friend to those who have no friends. Enemy to those who need no enemies. Headache to those who have no aspirin."~ The Phantom Texter
    2019 F3 s , Neutrino Aurora Accessory Fuse Block Blue

Spyder Garage

Only if it has front wheels.....it would be a home run!
    2018 RT , Larger pedal Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderBite View Post
    Hello out to the Spyder riders out there. My dad and I are both avid Spyder enthusiasts, although, we are keeping an active eye out for the new Neo Wing already showing in Japan. Here’s the link to some incredible High definition pictures... note the hybrid 4 cylinder wing motor...

https://www.hondaprokevin.com/new-20...-trike-patents.

Enjoy
    Yamaha already has one.
    https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sp...g/models/niken
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papa103 View Post
    Most of us look at that as another Piaggio. Not quite the trike we are used to.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    It’s about useless as a trike... it’ll fall over. I don’t see the point of any trike, if the third wheel isn’t able to keep you up... this seems to add nothing except extra grip so you’re less likely to lose front tire traction.

The Honda prototype has wider front wheels and the added stability of not falling over, sort of like Tilting Motorworks

Spyder Garage

Default Tiltingmotorworks GoldWing

This particular conversion is one I was always interested in after seeing it on Jay Leno's show
    many years ago.

If Honda would use this concept or buy their patents and make this unit from the factory
    I think it would outsell the Can Am RT units hands down.

Especially people converting from two wheels two three. Even Jay Leno said if I had
    a blindfold on and didn't know what I was on I think it would been on a two wheel
    motorcycle.

With Can Am success. I often wonder why nobody else (no conversion kits) has tried to
    compete with them with a similar model.

I'm already there as someone else said.

honda.jpg

Honda Gold Wing: Finally a bike with reverse gear and it's better than ever!
    Paired to either a traditional six-speed transmission or Honda's newly-developed
    DCT transmission (which includes forward/reverse Walking Mode), the 1833cc
    engine makes 116 bhp at 5,500 rpm and peak torque of 167 Nm at 4,000 rpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3TumQ-ueMU

https://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/bike/honda/

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Think it is a moot question 'cause I don't see Honda building a trike. I know Honda has unlimited $ at it's disposal but they are not gonna build something that might never see a profit for them. Scaling up to build a new high dollar product is seriously expensive even for Honda, and there are after market trike builders out there building Honda trikes, way too much established competition. So also consider setting up dealers to service and fix these machines, that's mind boggling. I came off a GW RoadSmith conversion after eight years for the 2020 RTL, It was way past time for a change for me for a variety of reasons. One good reason, if you're are of on a long ride with your passenger and maybe you throw a code or need emergency service, good luck finding a dealer that will work on the thing. That's a bad feeling.

Spyder Garage

in a heart beat. Honda may well be the best motor company in the world. So, yeah I would love to see a Spyder style trike from them with either their V-4 or flat 6 engine, drive shaft etc. that makes their street bikes some of the best money can buy.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    And just to add regarding Niken, at least in Sweden it requires a motorcycle licence. Unlile Spyders, Rykers, piaggio mp3 and regular trikes with 2 rear wheels, that can be driven on a car licence. To qualify as a car license trike in Sweden the wheels need a minimum distance apart.
    Would be interesting to hear what regulations are like in the rest of the world

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Think more like this, with front wheels
    Attached Images Attached Images
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

If one of the major manufacturers adopted anything like the Tilting Motor Works system, I'd strongly consider dumping the F3 for it. The Spyder is fun but I miss leaning.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

I test rode a trike like this before the Spyder I bought. Hard to steer and hated the clutching and foot shifting (no forward controls). It was very uncomfortable compared to the Spyder.

http://www.motortrike.com/trikeHonda1800ProwlerRT.aspx
    2019 RT Limited
    Floating Pegs
    Cushioned Grips
    Shorty Antenna
    Show Chrome Rider Backrest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up to the above comment.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TubaSpyder View Post
    I test rode a trike like this before the Spyder I bought. Hard to steer and hated the clutching and foot shifting (no forward controls). It was very uncomfortable compared to the Spyder.

http://www.motortrike.com/trikeHonda1800ProwlerRT.aspx
    That's the photo in the dictionary to describe the word "fugly"
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NEXUS View Post

This particular conversion is one I was always interested in after seeing it on Jay Leno's show
    many years ago.

If Honda would use this concept or buy their patents and make this unit from the factory
    I think it would outsell the Can Am RT units hands down.

Especially people converting from two wheels two three. Even Jay Leno said if I had
    a blindfold on and didn't know what I was on I think it would been on a two wheel
    motorcycle.

With Can Am success. I often wonder why nobody else (no conversion kits) has tried to
    compete with them with a similar model.

I'm already there as someone else said.

honda.jpg

Honda Gold Wing: Finally a bike with reverse gear and it's better than ever!
    Paired to either a traditional six-speed transmission or Honda's newly-developed
    DCT transmission (which includes forward/reverse Walking Mode), the 1833cc
    engine makes 116 bhp at 5,500 rpm and peak torque of 167 Nm at 4,000 rpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3TumQ-ueMU

https://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/bike/honda/
    Bill, I saw several of these at americade 2 years ago...For some reason I didn"t get to ride one??? I have never seen one anywhere else...Wonder if they offer their kit for the DCT newer Honda's??? Would definitely give one a try...larryd

Spyder Garage

Default Yamaha Leaning Trike Design

Y'all may find this interesting:

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/mot...sign-revealed/

Regards,
    Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
    Y'all may find this interesting:

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/mot...sign-revealed/

Regards,
    Joe T.
    Thanks Joe .... I think this has potential ..........BRP are you watching ???? ...............Mike

Spyder Garage

What's the point in good looks if the machine underneath is a pile of Heath Robinson junk and every service job is a pain in the butt. The Can Am Spyder is not a motorbike it's a computer with some wheels on it, and badly made at that.
    2014 RT Std
    Floor and Highway Boards
    50$ GPS connected to oem loom
    Trunk & Frunk Liners and lights
    Frunk and dashboard power outlets
    Front supension LEDS
    Cup holders
    Glovebox light
    Turn signal LEDs in mirrors
    12 volt coffee maker
    Passenger hangrip muffs
    Ignition lock light
    Windscreen wiper/ baguette holder

If I wasn't so cleverI wouldn't need to be so good looking.
    2014 RT , Black