View Poll Results: If Honda built a better tryke, would you buy it ??

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I would be interested in something Honda would build

106 87.60%
  • No - I’m too much of a BRP fan boi

15 12.40%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default If Honda built a better tryke, would you buy it ??

Something like this, with a frunk and 2 front wheels:

2000000001.jpg
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Obviously wouldn't have any quirks and would run like a top! (Former Goldwing owner)...One is already made by Hannigan Motorsports

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wilpir View Post
    Obviously wouldn't have any quirks and would run like a top! (Former Goldwing owner)...One is already made by Hannigan Motorsports
    And it's a very nice machine ..... But finding a Honda dealer that will even look at it is problematic if at all ...... Mike and let me add, if Honda came out with something close to the RT or F-3 at a competitive price Can Am would be out of business in a year .....

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't think they would be out of business but their three wheeled business would suffer big time
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 06-28-2020 at 12:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    And it's a very nice machine ..... But finding a Honda dealer that will even look at it is problematic if at all ...... Mike and let add if Honda came out with something close to the RT or F-3 at a competitive price Can Am would be out of business in a year .....
    Agree. Even if Honda was several thousand more, folks would flock to it, and Can-Am would have trouble with market share.
    I owned a BMW R1100RT, and a bit later on in my "career" I owned a Honda ST1300. The Honda was in many respects superior. The Honda was thousands less than the highly touted Beemer, and got better fuel economy, and was smoother. Rheostat smooth. Deceptive. You knew you were running 85 or 90 on the Beemer, you came to that conclusion gradually on the Honda... "holy smoke I gotta slow down" when you realize you are moving along at a good clip. Honda makes quality stuff. The folks at Honda would never let a product go with ill fitting panels or goofy interfaces with phone and entertainment. Or heat problems, or alignment, or......(fill in the blank)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carbonation View Post
    Agree. Even if Honda was several thousand more, folks would flock to it, and Can-Am would have trouble with market share.
    I owned a BMW R1100RT, and a bit later on in my "career" I owned a Honda ST1300. The Honda was in many respects superior. The Honda was thousands less than the highly touted Beemer, and got better fuel economy, and was smoother. Rheostat smooth. Deceptive. You knew you were running 85 or 90 on the Beemer, you came to that conclusion gradually on the Honda... "holy smoke I gotta slow down" when you realize you are moving along at a good clip. Honda makes quality stuff. The folks at Honda would never let a product go with ill fitting panels or goofy interfaces with phone and entertainment. Or heat problems, or alignment, or......(fill in the blank)
    I agree with you.I have owned several bikes over the years and 3 were Goldwings.I can't believe a company like BRP would release a bike with panels being held by nylon ties because of fit issues.Had 2 RT,s 2015 and 2018 water pump starting leaking on my first one Then paddle shifter on the second one.They have a great design but quality is subpar
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

I think I would buy any brand that would get me away from the poor Spyder dealers and from the slow response from BRP! Spyder reliability (#10 on a scale of 10) and the poor service that most Spyder dealers give along with their high price per hour to work on our Spyders, just sometime make me want to quit riding a Spyder! I love them until they have problems like with the control modules left and right on the 2018 year models up! If you have a quality problem with a supplier, change suppliers! O'well enough on the soapbox!

Spyder Garage

I have had 5 GoldWings and put over 80K on each them the last one had 117K I never had any trouble with any of them.

Spyder Garage

I have had 5 GoldWings and put over 80K on them the last one had 117K I never had any trouble with any of them.

Spyder Garage

Certainly nothing in the Honda styling they currently offer really appeals to me atm, but I've had some great Hondas in the past, and I've always received pretty good service & support from the dealers I've dealt with, so if Honda came up with something that even got close to the Spyders in terms of visual appeal that also had the 'come to be expected' Honda reliability & performance, I'd be seriously considering it!!

As much as I enjoy ryding my Spyder & the (now a/mkt enhanced) performance it offers, there's a LOT of things in BRP's business approach & attitude as well as their dealers & dealer network that I'd walk away from in an instant IF there was a viable alternative!

Still waiting tho, and not holding my breath, either! Too busy enjoying the Spyder Ryding!!

Shame isn't it? Great concept & initial machines, but then it sorta looses it, what with the crap tires, crap manufacturer support, crap dealers, crap service, crap.... oh buggrit, you get the picture!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Didn’t know Hannigan made such a machine.

For $11k ?!?!

Do you have to supply the Honda engine and drivetrain ?!?!

http://www.hannigantrikes.com/produc...onda-roadster/

Still, I’d want Honda to build one from the ground up.
    Last edited by Peacekeeper6; 06-24-2020 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Edit

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    Didn’t know Hannigan made such a machine.

For $11k ?!?!

Do you have to supply the Honda engine and drivetrain ?!?!

http://www.hannigantrikes.com/produc...onda-roadster/

Still, I’d want Honda to build one from the ground up.
    By the time you get the Hannigan kit you will have invested over $45K. Also, triking will void the Honda warranty, AND, many of the Honda dealers will not touch it for servicing.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This poll question is asked in a way to provoke a certain answer. "If Honda built a BETTER trike would you buy it?"
    If it was better, of course most people would.
    "No I'm too much of a BRP fan boi".
    At this time nothing else out there is even close to it, so yes I am a BRP fan. BRP and dealer have been nothing but good to me.

Now if you ask if Honda made a trike that had a few years under its belt showing it was a better trike, yes I would consider it. But just because the name Honda is on it does not mean it won't have problems or be trouble free. I have tried to wait a year or two to let the bugs be worked out of a new product before purchasing, because there will be some.

I purchased a PT Cruiser Turbo the first year they came out, the drive line and suspension were not strong enough for the power it put out, it cost me several hundred dollars every time it went back to the shop, and that was alot.

Therefore I waited until the 1330 was out for a year before I purchased the 2015 RTL.
    I truthfully find it VERY well thought out, the quality is there, I have had a couple of issues the dealer took care of in a very timely manner, and we have put on almost 45,000 miles, the majority of that towing a camper.

So if there is a market out there for trikes, and we know there is, all motorcycle sales are slumping, per all reports, if a trike would help with over all sales numbers, why aren't more bike manufactures jumping on board? Some are making the conventional trike, and a couple have experimented with a "leaning" reverse trike, but none have taken it head on and developed anything like the Can Am Spyder. Is it because it is too involved, too difficult, the potential of problems are there. or perchance they know perfecting it and getting it to production will take too much money, and too much time, for the amount of sales out there?

If the CAN AM Spyder had been around as long as the Honda motorcycles have been, or sold as many as Honda had, I am sure the research and development dollars would be more, this would lead to better production, and better quality. It is a viscous circle however, sales must be there to have those dollar, yet if the quality and dealers aren't there sales suffer.

JMHO
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Speaking for myself. Full disclosure here. I rode Gold Wings for 33 years. With that said.
    If Honda built a, 2 wheels in the front, I would consider it. I cannot say I am a big BRP fan. I have a '13 ST that we have put 51,000 miles on that we just love. A good part of that has been due to the Baja Ron sway bar and Elka suspension. "We" because most of our riding is 2 up. The quality of the bike is very poor in my opinion. I admit I was spoiled by the Wings. But the handling of the 2 in front is the convincer for me. I have had several instances where were it not for the handling ability of the motor cycle, I would have had some serious accidents.

Spyder Garage

How about the honda Neo Wing... If honda decides to produce the neo wing id definetly consider buying oneHonda-1.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_from_ny View Post
    How about the honda Neo Wing... If honda decides to produce the neo wing id definetly consider buying oneHonda-1.jpg
    However like to see more storage available Definitely not hung up on “Brands” good machine, reasonably priced, easily maintained :firstplace

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Think it is a moot question 'cause I don't see Honda building a trike. I know Honda has unlimited $ at it's disposal but they are not gonna build something that might never see a profit for them. Scaling up to build a new high dollar product is seriously expensive even for Honda, and there are after market trike builders out there building Honda trikes, way too much established competition. So also consider setting up dealers to service and fix these machines, that's mind boggling. I came off a GW RoadSmith conversion after eight years for the 2020 RTL, It was way past time for a change for me for a variety of reasons. One good reason, if you're are of on a long ride with your passenger and maybe you throw a code or need emergency service, good luck finding a dealer that will work on the thing. That's a bad feeling.

Spyder Garage

in a heart beat. Honda may well be the best motor company in the world. So, yeah I would love to see a Spyder style trike from them with either their V-4 or flat 6 engine, drive shaft etc. that makes their street bikes some of the best money can buy.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Hannigan Roadster. Not bad not bad at all.
    I think on a par with previous Spyder RTs 2010 to 2019.
    I think I like the looks of my 2020 RT Limited more.

ab5926b9063469a4da9d6fa06777ab11.jpg
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Needs a beefier frunk to accommodate more stuff.

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

are these 3-wheel Honda roadsters sold at dealerships across America???
    BIG F
    (also a 101st Airborne veteran!)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    are these 3-wheel Honda roadsters sold at dealerships across America???
    BIG F
    (also a 101st Airborne veteran!)
    Some, but I don't know who. Gene's Gallery in Springfield, MO was, but may be no longer, a dealer for the R18 kit from the Dutch company, Sturgis. I don't know if they were a Honda dealer. A brief dealer search on Hannigan Trikes site found a few Honda dealers listed. Most trike dealer/installers are independents.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Hannigan Roadster. Not bad not bad at all.
    I think on a par with previous Spyder RTs 2010 to 2019.
    I think I like the looks of my 2020 RT Limited more.

ab5926b9063469a4da9d6fa06777ab11.jpg
    Sorry Threewheels (& Wilpir ) I appreciate that you might like it, and more power to you if you want to go that way; but seriously, as far as I'm concerned, that thing doesn't meet any of my stated requirements, & especially not the 'visual appeal' part!

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Not to mention that any comparable trike by Honda would be way more costly than my RTL. Way too unattractive as well. IMHO

Spyder Garage

What's the point in good looks if the machine underneath is a pile of Heath Robinson junk and every service job is a pain in the butt. The Can Am Spyder is not a motorbike it's a computer with some wheels on it, and badly made at that.
    2014 RT Std
    Floor and Highway Boards
    50$ GPS connected to oem loom
    Trunk & Frunk Liners and lights
    Frunk and dashboard power outlets
    Front supension LEDS
    Cup holders
    Glovebox light
    Turn signal LEDs in mirrors
    12 volt coffee maker
    Passenger hangrip muffs
    Ignition lock light
    Windscreen wiper/ baguette holder

If I wasn't so cleverI wouldn't need to be so good looking.
    2014 RT , Black