View Poll Results: If Honda built a better tryke, would you buy it ??

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I would be interested in something Honda would build

106 87.60%
  • No - I’m too much of a BRP fan boi

15 12.40%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Bit of a story
    About a year ago, after selling my Suzuki Borgman 650 exec, I just fancied another bike so I bought a Goldwing 1500, remembering my youth having the 1000cc version, Alas it was too heavy for me and I'm too old and weak for it.
    Quite by chance I came across TOW PAC Insta trike, wanting to keep and ride the goldwing I bought the insta trike kit, loved it so much, every job on it so far is so easy, even tupperware removal. Although this bike is 25 years old I find it streets ahead of Can Am. Last week I sold my Can Am RT1330. Admitted the can am corners better, but HEY at 72 years old you don't go hacking round corners. as I travel a lot all over France, if the Can Am broke down in the middle of nowhere, what would I do? one such breakdown could bankrupt me. Any bike shop of any description would get my Goldwing going, with a Honda dealer in nearly every town I don't worry so much about breakdowns.
    Loving the Goldwing, pleased to be shot of the Spyder.
    2014 RT Std
    Floor and Highway Boards
    50$ GPS connected to oem loom
    Trunk & Frunk Liners and lights
    Frunk and dashboard power outlets
    Front supension LEDS
    Cup holders
    Glovebox light
    Turn signal LEDs in mirrors
    12 volt coffee maker
    Passenger hangrip muffs
    Ignition lock light
    Windscreen wiper/ baguette holder

If I wasn't so cleverI wouldn't need to be so good looking.
    2014 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Glad you are happy. After all, that is what matters, especially at your (our) age.

Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

Well...there's this option as well https://endeavortrikes.com
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Does any of the Honda reverse trike conversions have the same or similar VSS system the Spyder has?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DanY View Post
    Does any of the Honda reverse trike conversions have the same or similar VSS system the Spyder has?
    Do Honda actually have reverse trike on the road already?? Last time I looked (well, searched/begged/dreamt anyway! ) they still only had 'concepts' or maybe a 'prototype' or two, but they didn't actually have anything that was really 'like' a Spyder/Ryker or even have anything aimed anywhere near the same general market segments as those targeted/met by Spyder/Rykers yet?? And there certainly wasn't anything in the conversion market that had a similar VSS Suite!

So AFAIK, even given the conversions that can be made to GoldWings etc, there's still NOTHING out there that's a VSS equipped competitor to the Spyder/Rykers YET - altho there are slooowly becoming a few offerings in different market segments that might be eventually developed into a direct competitor for one or more of the Spyder/Ryker offerings & be equipped with a similar VSS Suite.... but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-08-2020 at 05:16 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DanY View Post
    Since all the available RT conversions are after market I'm sure the answer is no. A VSS would require software integration into the very heart of the Honda electronics and you can be sure Honda isn't going to disclose any such information nor would an after market supplier be deep pocketed enough to reverse engineer those systems. I think some of them do adapt the GW ABS system to the two front wheels, but I'm doubtful that each front wheel would be independently controlled.

For a truly ground up engineered VSS for a trike your choice is....... Can Am Spyder!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I test rode a 2018 Gold Wing DCT before I bought my 1st RT. The drivetrain on that thing was incredible. From the smoothness to the shifting to the sport mode. As close to perfection as you could get. BuRP and Honda need to collaborate. Put the GW drivetrain (including....well, everthing) in the RT. They could charge $5k more and they still couldn't build enough. Add the GW dash (hello, Apple Carplay/Android Auto!) and it would be hands down the perfect bike, 2 wheels or 3.

Keep the F3, F3-S and F3T as is aswell as the base RT. Only add the GW drivetrain to the F3 Limited and RT Limited. Sell 'em all day long for $35k. I'd buy one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would definitely consider buying reverse trike Honda. Prototype/concept came out five years ago as hybrid and Honda is getting all kinds of reverse trike related patents but it’s a leaner like Yamaha and not sure if I want a leaner after 10 years of spyder...
    but if there are still only RT and F3 when my 15 RS kicks the bucket, I will most likely be moving on. Not a fan of RT nor F3
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

are these 3-wheel Honda roadsters sold at dealerships across America???
    BIG F
    (also a 101st Airborne veteran!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    are these 3-wheel Honda roadsters sold at dealerships across America???
    BIG F
    (also a 101st Airborne veteran!)
    Some, but I don't know who. Gene's Gallery in Springfield, MO was, but may be no longer, a dealer for the R18 kit from the Dutch company, Sturgis. I don't know if they were a Honda dealer. A brief dealer search on Hannigan Trikes site found a few Honda dealers listed. Most trike dealer/installers are independents.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I have been keeping an eye out for any news regarding the Honda Neowing, but so far nothing
    The concept looks cool, and at the right performace as well as price range it could very well be something I'd be interesting in buying. But the lack of buzz makes me suspect that the launch isnt around the corner.

Spyder Garage

There is an aftermarket company that makes a tilting 3 wheeler kit for the Wing: https://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/bike/honda/

A little pricey at $14K plus installation and you supply the Wing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    There is an aftermarket company that makes a tilting 3 wheeler kit for the Wing: https://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/bike/honda/

A little pricey at $14K plus installation and you supply the Wing.
    All conversion kits, both front and rear wheeled trikes, are in that price range.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Regardless of trike kit configuration or make, Plan on 18K in cost to cover kit price, needed options, installation and taxes to convert a 2 wheeler to 3. I have owned many Goldwing 2 wheelers, a Spyder RTL, and a Goldwing traditional trike so I do have some first hand experience with this. Here are my observations and opinions. I think the reverse trike (Spyder) configuration has some stability advantages over rear wheel trikes. I did a lot of research. Watched the videos of trikes traversing grassy hills, reverse races, etc. Having said that, the differences in stability and handling are not significant enough to mandate one configuration over another. Of course there are some kits that handle better than others. I own a CSC with IRS and an extra wide track of 61 inches. Yesterday I did a ride that I have done many times. I can very comfortably and confidently take 25 MPH corners at 45 MPH on my traditional trike. Those very same corners were not as comfortable for me at that speed on my Spyder even after 3 years and 30K miles of Spyder experience.

The experience of those with solid rear suspension would probably be a lot different than I have with my IRS. I find the Goldwing trike rides a bit rougher than the Spyder. But here's what I don't have......

#1 NO KENDA tires
    #2 No 2 hour labor charge for oil change (Takes 20 minutes on the Goldwing)
    #3 No drive belt or vibration (I have shaft drive)
    #4 No DPS VSS or other computer induced limp or no run conditions.
    #5 No waiting weeks for parts
    #6 No waiting 2-3 weeks for a simple service appointment.
    #7 No nanny stifling my riding.

What I do have.....
    #1 A vehicle I can ride cross country without fear of being stuck without dealer support.
    #2 A vehicle that can be serviced/repaired by many shops including independents without the need for special tools or training.

The argument about Honda dealers not wanting to service Honda trikes is moot. Many do. And most will not service ANY bike more than 10 years old, trike or not. But there are many, many independents to choose from. Not so with a Spyder. And what happens when a Spyder turns 10 and the Spyder dealer no longer wants to see you?

So, if Honda made a "better trike" (reverse?) would I look at it? Sure, I would. But I think those who are fixated on ONLY reverse trikes are missing a lot of good products and riding experiences. Maybe, just maybe, a professional rider could find advantage in a Spyder by pushing it and a traditional trike to the limits. But I have had both and I'm not so sure. My observations and experience. Offered for free and worth it at twice the price..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

When I was at Wing Ding in Billings in 2016 I attended a seminar put on by the owner of Motor Trike. The title was something like "Two in the front or two in the rear?" I asked him what kind of test data and engineering calculations showed that two in the front was better. He said, "I could tell you, but it'll cost you $50,000!" I took that to mean they had data that showed why two in the front was better and they had spent on the order of $50k to obtain it. Of course I could have misread his intentions, but it still was a rather interesting comment, I thought.

He also said his son, who was either brave or stupid I think, rode their reverse trike conversion on a GW around corner on a local highway at about 82 mph. It was signed for 45!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Here is another option for the Goldwings...The only ones available with the DCT

https://endeavortrikes.com/2019-2/
    Too bad they screwed up the styling of the frunk. That would have a lot of potential otherwise. I think I would prefer one made on the ST1300 though.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Regardless of trike kit configuration or make, Plan on 18K in cost to cover kit price, needed options, installation and taxes to convert a 2 wheeler to 3. I have owned many Goldwing 2 wheelers, a Spyder RTL, and a Goldwing traditional trike so I do have some first hand experience with this. Here are my observations and opinions. I think the reverse trike (Spyder) configuration has some stability advantages over rear wheel trikes. I did a lot of research. Watched the videos of trikes traversing grassy hills, reverse races, etc. Having said that, the differences in stability and handling are not significant enough to mandate one configuration over another. Of course there are some kits that handle better than others. I own a CSC with IRS and an extra wide track of 61 inches. Yesterday I did a ride that I have done many times. I can very comfortably and confidently take 25 MPH corners at 45 MPH on my traditional trike. Those very same corners were not as comfortable for me at that speed on my Spyder even after 3 years and 30K miles of Spyder experience.

The experience of those with solid rear suspension would probably be a lot different than I have with my IRS. I find the Goldwing trike rides a bit rougher than the Spyder. But here's what I don't have......

#1 NO KENDA tires
    #2 No 2 hour labor charge for oil change (Takes 20 minutes on the Goldwing)
    #3 No drive belt or vibration (I have shaft drive)
    #4 No DPS VSS or other computer induced limp or no run conditions.
    #5 No waiting weeks for parts
    #6 No waiting 2-3 weeks for a simple service appointment.
    #7 No nanny stifling my riding.

What I do have.....
    #1 A vehicle I can ride cross country without fear of being stuck without dealer support.
    #2 A vehicle that can be serviced/repaired by many shops including independents without the need for special tools or training.

The argument about Honda dealers not wanting to service Honda trikes is moot. Many do. And most will not service ANY bike more than 10 years old, trike or not. But there are many, many independents to choose from. Not so with a Spyder. And what happens when a Spyder turns 10 and the Spyder dealer no longer wants to see you?

So, if Honda made a "better trike" (reverse?) would I look at it? Sure, I would. But I think those who are fixated on ONLY reverse trikes are missing a lot of good products and riding experiences. Maybe, just maybe, a professional rider could find advantage in a Spyder by pushing it and a traditional trike to the limits. But I have had both and I'm not so sure. My observations and experience. Offered for free and worth it at twice the price..... Jim
    Thank you for sharing your "hands on" experience with the allready existing Honda Trike. It is interesting!
    Due to a niché market, I can understand why the conversion kits can cost around 18K $. But at the same time, combine that with the purchase price of the bike, and it just isnt an economically viable option for many people.

My personal hope for the Neowing was that it would also be priced somewhat competitively with the Spyders. Looking at what a "normal" 2 wheel bike costs, it should not be impossible
    Also I think that the added competition in the reverse trike market would be great! I believe that would put more pressure on BRP to improve their products, total cost of ownership, dealership support etc.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_from_ny View Post
    How about the honda Neo Wing... If honda decides to produce the neo wing id definetly consider buying one
    However like to see more storage available Definitely not hung up on “Brands” good machine, reasonably priced, easily maintained :firstplace

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Would definitely look at one. Competition is good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is that Motor Trike Article...

Default Wing Ding & Reverse Trikes
    Wing Ding & Reverse Trikes

Reverse trikes are starting to share the limelight. Besides a number of Spyders running around the campground, parking lots, and the town of Billings, there were three different reverse trike conversions being shown.

Motor Trikes has a conversion for both the Goldwing and the VTX700 (I think it is). The latter one was discussed here just a couple of weeks ago. They had three Goldwing RTs and one VTX RT available for demo rides. I dinked around and didn't get signed up for a ride since owning one is a non-starter for me. But I wish I would have just to see how it compares to the Spyder RTS. The four RT demo units were booked solid every day from Wednesday to Saturday. That, to me, indicates the interest out there in the reverse trike configuration.

I attended a seminar given by the owner of Motor Trikes. His topic was, "2 in the back or 2 in the front?" When I asked about hard engineering data or objective studies comparing the two configurations he said that would cost me about $100,000. Obviously they have spent a lot of money developing the RT and aren't about to freely talk about the engineering behind it. He rode a Spyder shortly after they came out and didn't like the way Nanny controlled things. He also could see that the reverse trike was the wave of the future, so he set about developing a conversion for the Goldwing that would provide a top notch riding experience. For a performance comparison he cited a highway curve with a reverse camber signed at 40 or 45 mph near their factory. A two wheel Wing, and the conventional trike, can take the curve easily at 65. He took his reverse trike around it at about 82 mph. His son, who is either braver or dumber, I don't know which, rode the reverse trike around the curve at 87 mph! As for cost the kit is about the same as the conventional trike but installation labor is about 1/2 as much. The front wheel track is a bit narrower than the Spyder.

In real life the coffin design doesn't look as bad as it does in the photos, but that still ain't sayin' much! I talked to one Goldwing rider who just came back from taking the RT for a ride. He was impressed how easily it steered. It had more sway than he liked. But he was impressed enough he is considering it a real option when he's ready to move from two wheels.

Hannigan had one reverse trike available for demoes and it was booked solid. I didn't pay too much attention to it other than the nose looks kind of like their sidecar and better than the Motor Trike version.

The third one, and one that's been discussed here, is the Tilting Motor Works conversion. There were no demo bikes available, but he had a Goldwing, an F6B, and a Harley there. The owner rode the just now finished F6B from Seattle to the show. I went to a seminar put on by the owner, Bob Mighell. From the way he talked his development was keep building and revising until he had a unit that performed like he wanted, which is to duplicate the two wheel riding experience. His unit for the Goldwing looks impressive. It is narrower than the other two conversions and Spyder. It also has less body, and to me, blends in better to the Goldwing shape. The TMW conversion will allow the Wing rider to tilt far enough to scrape pegs. I asked about the gyroscopic effect of the two wheels compared to a single wheel. He said it is a little bit more and provides absolutely true counter steering. Currently his conversion disables ABS braking but he's working to develop an ABS controller that will enable ABS braking. He offers an option that will automatically hydraulically upright the bike at parking lot speeds and stopped.

If anyone wants to seriously stick with a Goldwing, but wants the stability of the three wheel configuration I suggest you take a close hard look at the TMW unit. All three conversions are in the $10k to $13k price range.

According to what the Motor Trikes owner said, Honda's banner year for Goldwing sales was 2008 with about 12,000 units sold. The recession hurt them, as did the introduction of the Spyder. Sales last year were about 3,000 units, a 75% drop. I talked to a Honda rep who is the sales manager for power sports for WY, MT, and the Dakotas, plus maybe some more. I asked him about the Neowing. He said, "What's that?" He did not know Honda had a leaning three wheel concept vehicle out for show. He said Honda puts out many iterations and variations of new products to gauge public reception before they finally decide what, if any, new product they will produce. So the Neowing may still prove to nothing more than a pipe dream.

Spyder Garage

Here is that Motor Trike Article...

Default Wing Ding & Reverse Trikes
    Wing Ding & Reverse Trikes
    Thanks for taking the time to find that post and copying it here. Here's the thread that I started with it. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...Reverse-Trikes. Obviously I didn't remember some details correctly since I didn't refer back to it when made my comment above.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I noticed mention of converting a Goldwing to a reverse trike being cost prohibitive. I'm pretty sure none of the kit manufacturers can force you to buy a new Goldwing. They would be cutting their own throats if that were a requirement. It is more likely kits are or can be tailored to what-ever Goldwing or other comparable bike you choose so long as it's not 50 years old. I've seen some used 1800 wings go for as little as $3k recently. Add a $12K kit and you could have one heck of a nice trike for $15K. There used to be a guy near Lubbock, Tx who did Goldwing conventional trike conversions. Pretty sure it was on anything from early 1500s to new 1800s. His fee was pretty high, but he did such good work, he was rarely without work. I'm wondering if he ever got into the reverse trike scene.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

It would need to be built entirely by Honda. That way no warranty hassles. If you bring your wing trike to a non trike dealer it could be catastrophic. Honda can void your warranty if they find out it is a trike. They can blame the trike manufacturer for the problem. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I attended a seminar given by the owner of Motor Trikes. His topic was, "2 in the back or 2 in the front?" When I asked about hard engineering data or objective studies comparing the two configurations he said that would cost me about $100,000. Obviously they have spent a lot of money developing the RT and aren't about to freely talk about the engineering behind it. He rode a Spyder shortly after they came out and didn't like the way Nanny controlled things. He also could see that the reverse trike was the wave of the future, so he set about developing a conversion for the Goldwing that would provide a top notch riding experience. For a performance comparison he cited a highway curve with a reverse camber signed at 40 or 45 mph near their factory. A two wheel Wing, and the conventional trike, can take the curve easily at 65. He took his reverse trike around it at about 82 mph. His son, who is either braver or dumber, I don't know which, rode the reverse trike around the curve at 87 mph! As for cost the kit is about the same as the conventional trike but installation labor is about 1/2 as much. The front wheel track is a bit narrower than the Spyder.

My riding buddy and I have 2016 RTLs with Bajaron’s sway bar and shock adjusters added. Both of us are 65+ years young.

We have no issues riding 75-85 mph around a 45mph curves all day long. It’s a workout for your thighs for sure but the correct body lean helps to keep Nanny out of the equation.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-10-2020 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Greven View Post
    Due to a niché market, I can understand why the conversion kits can cost around 18K $. But at the same time, combine that with the purchase price of the bike, and it just isnt an economically viable option for many people.
    Applies to used also. My first plan back in 2013 was to buy a front end wrecked GW and put the conversion on my 2005 GW. When I guesstimated the costs it didn't pan out. A wrecked 'wing would have been around 6 or 7 thousand bucks. Add to that cost of shipping, cost of painting to match my 2005, cost of raking the front fork, and the market value of my 'wing, I would have had about $25,000 in it. Add to the the hours of labor to make the conversion and it just didn't stack up very well against the $15,000, delivered, I paid for a 2013 RT with 600 miles on it. And the RT was designed and built from the ground up to be three wheels. Also, the only reverse trike available in 2013 was the Tilting Motor Works one, and it wasn't yet ready for prime time as a Goldwing conversion.

2014 Copper RTS