Spyder Garage

Default Interesting Info from BRP 2020 Report

Today I was saddened to hear that a 60 year-old Harley dealership in town is shuttering its doors. Pressure from Covid and pressure on Harley has them reacting to the new environment by closing smaller town dealerships. Everyone knows that cycle sales are down and this is a difficult new day for the sport in many quarters.

I have been interested in BRP and its success with its on-road vehicles. With Evinrude's abandonment under the BRP label, I was a bit nervous about what Spyder/Ryker information I might find. The news is actually good. Ryker and Spyder lines are selling well. This was a paragraph in the report that stood out for me:

Can-Am 3WV grew substantially, up +104% in
    North American retail sales volume in FY2020.
    Can-Am now holds the #5 market-share position in
    the North American on-highway motorcycle market,
    up from #7 last year.

Positive news looking forward, even in the midst of a pandemic backdrop!

I don't know if others posted this information before me... just grabbed my attention doing a little research this afternoon.

Spyder Garage

It's sales volume that killed the Harley dealership. See the first post here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ig-Harley-News.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Mischlers shutting down completely? That includes BMW too.. Hmmm.. Engelharts always wanted BMW.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Yes, both brands will be gone. I guess there is nothing left for BMW except for Madison, as the Milwaukee BMW closed. Rumor is that one may be reopening there. Madison and Milwaukee area Harely Dealerships remain, of course. Mischler's last day will be Dec. 22 from the press release I read.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    Can-Am now holds the #5 market-share position in
    the North American on-highway motorcycle market,
    up from #7 last year.
    I'd say even #5 doesn't sound that good. I mean, how many "on-highway motorcycle" manufacturers are there? Ten? Twelve? Here we go: Honda, HD, Kawasaki, Suzuki (I think they still sell street bikes), Yamaha, Indian, Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Ural (that's pushing it), Aprilia, BMW, MV Agusta, Royal Enfield, Triumph and Can Am? Take away a few of those that either don't sell in the US or sell so few they really don't count (I'm looking at you Ural, MV Agusta, Royal Enfield and Aprilia). Obviously, that doesn't count the super low volume manufacturers like Boss Hoss, Hyosung or Zero and definitely doesn't count companies that only manufacture mopeds and the like.

My point is, #7 out of 10 might as well be last place. Even #5 out of 10 is only 1/2 way up the ladder. When Can Am gets in the top 2 or 3 (and they never will due to being a niche vehicle), I'll be impressed. If you count every company that sells even 1 model that's technically able to drive on the street (including mopeds or whatever they're called these days) and companies that sell "something" even if it's only in Russia or Japan, then I guess #7 or #5 isn't bad.

Sorry. Just felt like ranting tonight. It's been a long week.

HAGO!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IMHO - Other than quality control - Can-AM offers recreational highway open air/road safer motorcycle riding than anyone else.

Appeals to a larger market than 2 wheelers. COVID-aging population - attracting more women - attracting non-motorcycle riders - attracting younger riders with the Ryker line - lower price entry point with Ryker or used Spyder's.

Ryker is fully auto with a foot brake - very car like in many ways - easy to learn to ride with many classes available throughout the USA.

No longer have to concern oneself with weight of motorcycle/balance at slow speeds/clutch/shifting/ going into curves to quickly.

Higher/larger profile than motorcycles - more visible to cagers. Ryker maybe not as good as a Spyder for cager visibility - Ryker looks smaller and not as tall to me and all/mostly black.

They are probably allot higher in the ranks for new sales versus market share.

There are several dealerships (10+) within an hour ride form me and most are sold out of Spyder's/Ryker's - only the high marked up ones have a few left.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BeRight View Post
    IMHO - Other than quality control - Can-AM offers recreational highway open air/road safer motorcycle riding than anyone else.

Appeals to a larger market than 2 wheelers. COVID-aging population - attracting more women - attracting non-motorcycle riders - attracting younger riders with the Ryker line - lower price entry point with Ryker or used Spyder's.

Ryker is fully auto with a foot brake - very car like in many ways - easy to learn to ride with many classes available throughout the USA.

No longer have to concern oneself with weight of motorcycle/balance at slow speeds/clutch/shifting/ going into curves to quickly.

Higher/larger profile than motorcycles - more visible to cagers. Ryker maybe not as good as a Spyder for cager visibility - Ryker looks smaller and not as tall to me and all/mostly black.

There are several dealerships (10+) within an hour ride form me and most are sold out of Spyder's/Ryker's - only the high marked up ones have a few left.

~~~he-he, I’m 64. Love my 2020 Ryker Rally. Yeah, it’s a much different vehicle from the Spyder. Sportier, lighter, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. That said, if I could swing it, I’d have a Spyder too, for longer rides I’m unable to do at the moment, and why I have the Ryker
    2020 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well said, BeRight, CanAm Spyder is attracting a host of 'new riders' in an industry that's hurting now, BRP must be doing something right. They did lots of things right starting with the 2020 RTL.

Spyder Garage

The Ryker attracting younger riders is what got me interested in these things. I was 27 when I bought my f3 a year ago. Ryker rally looked nice but I wanted something that would be more suitable for longer distance riding and so far my f3s hasnt let me down, not that Ive gone but on only 1 long trip with it, but planning a big one for this summer. I know due to my age I should be seen on something with two wheels, but heck with em.
    2019 F3s , Titanium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BeRight View Post

All good points, but the turd in the Spyder's punchbowl (and it is a big turd) is the thin dealer network coupled with widely varying quality of technical support. It won't matter how swell the machine is, if you can't get it fixed and fixed right. IMO, this is where BRP should put a lot more effort.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Well said, BeRight, CanAm Spyder is attracting a host of 'new riders' in an industry that's hurting now, BRP must be doing something right. They did lots of things right starting with the 2020 RTL.
    Compared to the earlier RTLs, the 2020+ trunk looks like a blob dropped on the rear of the seat, verses the integrated look of the 2018- units that have the bodies flowing into the trunk. I rode a 2021 for two days in my trike training class last week and the running boards are better in some ways, however I will take the 2018- look over the bigger running boards.

The 2020 and 2021 RTL's do not deserve the Limited title!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Compared to the earlier RTLs, the 2020+ trunk looks like a blob dropped on the rear of the seat, verse the integrated look of the 2018- units that have the bodies flowing into the trunk. I rode a 2021 for two days in my trike training class last week and the running boards are better in some ways, however I will take the 2018- look over the bigger running boards.

Hmmmm.... I couldn't disagree more. I have a 2015 RT Limited with almost 50,000 on it, I also have a 2020 RT Limited that now has 4,960 miles on it after the purchase just a few short months ago.
    When I purchased the 2015 I hear a lot of people say that it was not worth paying the extra cost for the limited, and they would say the chrome trim wasn't worth it. Sorry but there were a lot more differences than just the Chrome.
    When I went to purchase the 2020 again I heard a lot of people say that the extra for the limited was not worth it, and again they talked about the chrome. Again there are a lot more differences than just the chrome. You have the auto adjust air ride, the trunk, the heated seats, 2 additional speakers for a total of 6, trunk liner, and LED lights on the front.
    The 2020 is smother riding, better handling, the air compressor is almost silent, and the sound quality is great.
    The trunk on the 2015 is basically good for nothing but rain gear and little more. The trunk on the 2020 will hold my rain gear and still let me put 2 full face helmets in it when we stop.
    I love my 2020, and I love my 2015, but the 2015 is the one that is going up for sale.
    JMHO
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

CycleDaddy, agree, BRP got on board with 47 gallons of storage on the 2020, that was my cue to pull the trigger.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Compared to the earlier RTLs, the 2020+ trunk looks like a blob dropped on the rear of the seat, verses the integrated look of the 2018- units that have the bodies flowing into the trunk. I rode a 2021 for two days in my trike training class last week and the running boards are better in some ways, however I will take the 2018- look over the bigger running boards.

To each his own. I feel like I went from something fun in 2014 RT-S to something that finally felt "cool" in 2020 RT-L. It feels much more like a three wheeled motorcycle (which is very much what it is) and much less like a curiosity. And, if you don't love the look of the trunk, you can just take it off. Either way, the rear is a huge improvement over the previous design.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.