View Poll Results: If Honda built a better tryke, would you buy it ??

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I would be interested in something Honda would build

106 87.60%
  • No - I’m too much of a BRP fan boi

15 12.40%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Very interesting topic. It has been mentioned before...ask me how I know?

Around 10 years ago, I mentioned the very same. It is a shame that the big 4 Japanese brands did not jump on the concept. I am thinking they developed a wait and see attitude and the wait has been going on to long.

I do not like the "feeble" attempts at the concept. EG: The Yamaha three wheel concept. To much like a Piaggio, which never really caught on.

Honda, Kawi, Yamaha, or Suzuki would all be worth a try, IF, they resembled the Spyder or F3 (concept wise) as we know them. Cost would be a big factor too. A couple $K more would be okay, a $10K premium (because they can), would blow the deal for me.

10 years ago I would have jumped right away. NOW, I am retired, the money flow is gone, and I am enjoying Spyder #6. For me, sadly, I am afraid the time has passed me by.

Happily, there are many of you out there that may be interested also. It sure sounds like it so far.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I will have to say, from all the bikes I have owned, the Japanese bike are ALWAYS great quality and are very reliable.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nslowmotion View Post
    I will have to say, from all the bikes I have owned, the Japanese bike are ALWAYS great quality and are very reliable.
    x 2 . Over the years, have had at least five of each of the four flavors offered. NEVER had a major mechanical problem with any of them. Oil changes, filters, tires were the main expenses.

Never owned HD, BMW or any of the Brit or Italian flavors.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If they built something I was interested in I'd buy it. It would have to be a "sporty", performance minded bike. Something the Goldwing or Spyder RT isn't.

One of the BRP dealers in my area is also a Honda Dealer. Not sure how they handle their Honda customers but they suck with BRP customers so........in that case I'm not sure owning a Honda would be any better than owning a Spyder.

Spyder Garage

I think you'll run into dealer issues no matter what "bike" you have. The Honda dealer here seems to rotate personnel like they rotate stock. Seems I can't gon in there three times in a row and see the same people. They also won't touch a 10+ year old bike, even if the model hasn't changed in 15 years.

The wife wanted a GW trike. One of the issues I ran into what that the local dealer doe4sn't like working on them. Then there was cost; the trikes that were around what I paid for the RTS were past the 10 year mark so I wouldn't get support for the thing anyway. The main issue is that I couldn't see myself riding that thing by myself. The wife is disabled and can only ride on rare occasions so I ride mostly to work and occasionally with my brother. I just couldn't see me riding that thing for fun.

I do most of my own work anyway, as I don't trust the dealership here. I go to them for parts and not much else. A 'Wing Trike would be nice, but not at the price they want.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This poll question is asked in a way to provoke a certain answer. "If Honda built a BETTER trike would you buy it?"
    If it was better, of course most people would.
    "No I'm too much of a BRP fan boi".
    At this time nothing else out there is even close to it, so yes I am a BRP fan. BRP and dealer have been nothing but good to me.

Now if you ask if Honda made a trike that had a few years under its belt showing it was a better trike, yes I would consider it. But just because the name Honda is on it does not mean it won't have problems or be trouble free. I have tried to wait a year or two to let the bugs be worked out of a new product before purchasing, because there will be some.

I purchased a PT Cruiser Turbo the first year they came out, the drive line and suspension were not strong enough for the power it put out, it cost me several hundred dollars every time it went back to the shop, and that was alot.

Therefore I waited until the 1330 was out for a year before I purchased the 2015 RTL.
    I truthfully find it VERY well thought out, the quality is there, I have had a couple of issues the dealer took care of in a very timely manner, and we have put on almost 45,000 miles, the majority of that towing a camper.

So if there is a market out there for trikes, and we know there is, all motorcycle sales are slumping, per all reports, if a trike would help with over all sales numbers, why aren't more bike manufactures jumping on board? Some are making the conventional trike, and a couple have experimented with a "leaning" reverse trike, but none have taken it head on and developed anything like the Can Am Spyder. Is it because it is too involved, too difficult, the potential of problems are there. or perchance they know perfecting it and getting it to production will take too much money, and too much time, for the amount of sales out there?

If the CAN AM Spyder had been around as long as the Honda motorcycles have been, or sold as many as Honda had, I am sure the research and development dollars would be more, this would lead to better production, and better quality. It is a viscous circle however, sales must be there to have those dollar, yet if the quality and dealers aren't there sales suffer.

JMHO
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Speaking for myself. Full disclosure here. I rode Gold Wings for 33 years. With that said.
    If Honda built a, 2 wheels in the front, I would consider it. I cannot say I am a big BRP fan. I have a '13 ST that we have put 51,000 miles on that we just love. A good part of that has been due to the Baja Ron sway bar and Elka suspension. "We" because most of our riding is 2 up. The quality of the bike is very poor in my opinion. I admit I was spoiled by the Wings. But the handling of the 2 in front is the convincer for me. I have had several instances where were it not for the handling ability of the motor cycle, I would have had some serious accidents.

Spyder Garage

All great comments above.

RE: Dealerships. When I lived in AK, I made at least two attempts to buy Hondas. This was before BRP came out with the Spyder in 08. PS, I got the first Spyder sold to a customer in AK (2008 SM5).

Back to Honda...they had their set price and it was take it or leave it. They would not work on triked versions and they said the warranty would be voided.

In those days, I really wanted a Gold Wing. They had a one year old, (new), and were willing to take off $50 from the MSRP. No trade involved either. I ran from them that time. Ran into the same issues on a cruiser.

Ended up dealing with the Kawi dealer (who later also sold Spyder). I bought five Kawi's from them as well as five Spyders. The sixth spyder was purchased when I moved to AR last summer.

Both the Suzuki and the Yamaha dealers were also take the price or leave it. It worked all right for me though, I have had a total of 8 kawi's over the years...all great experiences.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-27-2020 at 01:39 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Lehman Trikes out of Westlock, Alberta used to build one. They were not just limited to the Goldwing....they also did Harley’s as well as Kawasaki’s. They outsold any other markets in the U.S. and Canada combined. Then they sold to a company in the U.S., I believe in New York state (but I could be totally mistaken on that) and in just a few short years they shut down. They made the best looking conversions of anyone.
    I believe HD contracted with and then bought out Lehman and brought the trike production in-house.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Simple question, way to simple to give an answer
    For me it would depend on how it looks, handles, power/performance and price point.
    If Honda (or any other brand) made something that would compete with the Ryker, but with a more powerfull and prefereably turbo charged engine, then I probably would be very interested.

Spyder Garage

I would consider it. I love my Spyder and I haven't had any issue with it. My main concern is the dealer network. Too small. Find it difficult to have maintenance done. Like right now, I'm having difficulty finding someone to service my brake fluid. I need to change it as it has been two years. Honda has a significantly larger network and reach further in less populated regions. My first bike was a Honda.
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

I have already jumped ship... so to speak. I still have my 18 RTL but it just doesn't get ridden as much as it once did... IMG_0278.jpg
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderBite View Post
    Hello out to the Spyder riders out there. My dad and I are both avid Spyder enthusiasts, although, we are keeping an active eye out for the new Neo Wing already showing in Japan. Here’s the link to some incredible High definition pictures... note the hybrid 4 cylinder wing motor...

https://www.hondaprokevin.com/new-20...-trike-patents.

Enjoy

The NEOWING looks an awful lot like the Tilting Motor Works kit already on the market, and available for the Goldwing as well as some HD models. Not sure what is so different about it that would allow them to patent it.

Tilting-Motor-Works-1_0.jpg

Spyder Garage

If Honda actually released the Neowing (which has been talked about for like 5 years... but they never will) I’d throw my money at them right away. I doubt I’d dump my Spyder though.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I believe HD contracted with and then bought out Lehman and brought the trike production in-house.
    More than you probably want to know about Lehman Trikes: Lehman began in a Canadian garage in 1985, and was one of, if not the first to be building trike conversion kits. Most trikes were automobile based, most using a VW bug engine, into the 1990's. HD had the Servicar based on a 45ci Flathead which was built from the '30s until 1973, but it wasn't really sold for the general public.
    Harley did contract with Lehman to build the Tri-Glide for the first few years of production. Lehman started in Canada, and in 2004 after they started to build HD trides trikes they moved to Spearfish SD. HD decided to build trikes on their own and dropped Lehman. (In my opinion HD sort of screwed Lehman over - Lehman was invested in building trikes for Harley) More trike conversion companies were innovating and the market for trike kits for Harleys pretty much dried up, leaving just Gold Wing by far the most triked motorcycle on the market. There are kits for other brands like BMW, Yamaha, etc, but they are relatively rare. John Lehman died in January of 2012, and later that year Champion trikes bought the brand.

Before we got the RTL we have had 2 Trike Shop VW trikes and 2 Gold Wing trikes since 1992. The 2 Trike Shop (Now called Road Smith) were quality units, both automatic transmissions, and Gloria had a foot accelerator pedal on the first one that she road for 10 years. They were hot rods, and we got the 'Wings for touring - we'd put 600 miles a day on the GW, not doable on the VW trikes. She never got used to using both arms and both legs to operate a trike after the Trike Shop trikes, so she was always a rider on the Wings. She rode a RT in 2018 at the Davis Rally in Iowa, found she could pilot it and we got one on our own later that year. We did consider the new automatic Goldwing with a conversion, but they were new (we never buy any first-year vehicle so the bugs can be worked out of them) and the cost of the bike, then the conversion was prohibitive.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wilpir View Post
    Obviously wouldn't have any quirks and would run like a top! (Former Goldwing owner)...One is already made by Hannigan Motorsports
    I have had 5 GoldWings and put over 80K on each them the last one had 117K I never had any trouble with any of them.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lehman is still around.

http://www.lehmantrikes.com/
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billythekidd View Post
    I have already jumped ship... so to speak. I still have my 18 RTL but it just doesn't get ridden as much as it once did... IMG_0278.jpg
    So you gave up riding a bike altogether. To each their own. I enjoy my sports car but its no substitute for my Spyder.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billythekidd View Post
    Is that the new 2020 with Automatic and the new Polaris engine??

Oh and hell no on Honda trike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I had the opportunity to ride several Sturgis R18 Trikes with their "easy steer" several years ago at a Goldwing gathering...If they updated their R18 to the 2018 and newer bikes with DCT I would purchase one in a minute...larryd

http://sturgistrike.com/
    I sold my Spyder several months ago but still had my Goldwing. I looked very seriously into triking it. I thought the Sturgis kit was the best looking. There is a local independent here named American Bike and Trike. They do lots of conversions and included the Sturgis as one of them on their web site. I went to their store, checkbook in hand, ready to start the process. But, big problem. The Manufacturer of Sturgis pulled all of their kits from the U.S. There was an overheating problem because that nicely shaped frunk did not allow enough air to get to the Goldwings radiators. The overheating was happening in spite of having a 3rd radiator included with the trike kit. The Hannigan trike kit has a much lower frunk profile to allow proper airflow and cooling. But I just didn't like the way it looks. I found that whatever trike selected, it will cost $16,000-$18,000 to convert a Goldwing to a trike. I came away from American B&T feeling lost and frustrated..... I called a friend who has a different independent shop for advice. He also does many trike conversions. He had just acquired a Goldwing trike with a California Sidecar conversion. It was 6 years newer and had less than half the miles of my Goldwing. I bought it for less than the cost of converting my wing.

If there is a perfect trike with good dealer support in existence, I was unable to find it. There were compromises no matter what direction I took. If Honda did manufacture a complete reverse trike, I wouldn't be first in line to get one. But, I'd be in line..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wilpir View Post
    Obviously wouldn't have any quirks and would run like a top! (Former Goldwing owner)...One is already made by Hannigan Motorsports
    I have had 5 GoldWings and put over 80K on them the last one had 117K I never had any trouble with any of them.

Spyder Garage

How about the honda Neo Wing... If honda decides to produce the neo wing id definetly consider buying oneHonda-1.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    So you gave up riding a bike altogether. To each their own. I enjoy my sports car but its no substitute for my Spyder.
    No, I still have the Spyder and still ride it.. But I have given up riding bikes (two wheelers). The Slingshot is part car part... trike.. and it is a heck of a lot of fun.. Similar to a sports car but not. I personally have never thought of my Spyders to me a Bike... but as you said to each their own.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Is that the new 2020 with Automatic and the new Polaris engine??

Oh and hell no on Honda trike
    Yes, that is the new 2020 R with the Polaris engine (203 HP and weighs about 1700 lbs) and automatic (kind of). It actually has a Magneti-Marelli do the shifting you press the D Or N or R and off you go... It has the same 5 speed transmission and you actually feel the shift. Little story, I was riding the other day going about 45mph and was going to pass a pickup ahead of me... hit the throttle and the big 305 rear tire broke loose and gave a little fishtail while accelerating... Made me smile. I love all the people who claim they bought it for wind therapy and then put tops and over sized windshields on them to keep the wind and sun off... Anyway.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No, Staying with the Spyder! Spyder in hand is better than two wings the bush. The SS is nice but I still like riding on them not in them at this point.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown