Spyder Garage

Default Cat Delete- baffle or no baffle

I would like to install Lamonsters cat delete that comes with a baffle. Should I use the baffle supplied to add to back pressure to get best performance or can I leave the baffle out get enough back pressure with the stock muffler to still not loose torque. I appreciate the advice.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your going to get all sorts of opinions on that question.I didn't even try my cat delete and stock muffler with the baffle in because number one i wanted a better sounding exhaust etc and number two the gain/loss either way would be negligible to my way of thinking.If I want quicker acceleration I select a lower gear. I'm not into lugging along pretending I'm riding some sort of torque monster.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's your choice, low end or top end but you can't have both, unless you opt for the ECU remap.

Spyder Garage

I have a Baldwin Iron Works cat delete pipe that is almost identical to the Lamonster. Keeping the baffle in cuts down droning noise if you're cruising at constant highway speeds. It will still sound good.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Do both and test for which you prefer?

Spyder Garage

Thank you for replies. I really like my F3S, however I had never heard one with out the cat untill a week ago. WOW what a great sound. I will install this weekend with no baffle. I think I will be very happy with it that way for the sweet sound and I dont really need to be going too fast to enjoy my ride. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Everybody has their own opinions, but I put the baffle in. It was obnoxiously loud with out the baffle.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RosieriderKY View Post
    Thank you for replies. I really like my F3S, however I had never heard one with out the cat untill a week ago. WOW what a great sound. I will install this weekend with no baffle. I think I will be very happy with it that way for the sweet sound and I dont really need to be going too fast to enjoy my ride. Thanks.
    Besides the difference in sound .... there is the " back-pressure " issue to consider. I put one in for both reasons - I like to hear my tunes ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Besides the difference in sound .... there is the " back-pressure " issue to consider. I put one in for both reasons - I like to hear my tunes ..... Mike
    Mike ... did you use the baffle with the end plug installed?

Spyder Garage

I took end plug out of mine.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

No baffle - no problems. Using original OEM muffler.

Spyder Garage

Well almost done with cat delete and it wounds perfect, with a roar when asked for. Is there a secret tool to expend the springs to get them hooked?? jeez that is a pain. I have 2 of them on but gave up on the last after an hour of trying in the heat. Took beasty for a ride and am very pleased with the sound!! Now back to that third spring.....

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RosieriderKY View Post
    Well almost done with cat delete and it wounds perfect, with a roar when asked for. Is there a secret tool to expend the springs to get them hooked?? jeez that is a pain. I have 2 of them on but gave up on the last after an hour of trying in the heat. Took beasty for a ride and am very pleased with the sound!! Now back to that third spring.....
    Check and make sure there are three ???? .... I think there are only two ..... good luck ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike, my F3S has 3. I put the hardest to reach on first in about a minute, then the next took about 15 minutes then fought with the one on the bottom for an hour before I gave up and installed my Lamonster light on Frunk. Still have the 3rd on garage floor until I get enough determination, or an easier fix, to tackle it again. I do think 2 should be enough to hold it and my test ride last night seemed to be just fine with 2.

Spyder Garage

Yup .. (3) on the F3-S and one is a beeatch

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do the parachute cord trick. Loop one end of the cord on the spring and loop the other end on your foot. Or, have your wife/girlfriend pull the cord. Don't cuss, it just makes things worse.

Spyder Garage

that is a great idea, I did try to pull with a zip tie looped around the hook but a cord rope shold work great. Thanks

Spyder Garage

This is the "tool" I used to get the top spring on. I don't have a helper so I did this. Made out of a hangar and a $2.00 turnbuckle from Lowe's. Hooked the "hook" around the spring end, opened the turnbuckle, pulled tight and secured it to the exhaust. Then crank turn buckle until spring is in position, push spring on, loosen turnbuckle and it's DONE. No cussing, no skinned fingers or knuckles, and spring is secure. IMG_20200415_152818829.jpg

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I know for a fact, that if you only use 2 of the 3 springs, you will be fine. I only have 2 springs on my F3T, and a buddy of mine only has 2 on his RT. We both decided that 2 would be fine. A lot easier than all the cursing that would be necessary to get the 3rd spring on.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Well after all the great ideas you kind folks shared I did the 3rd in about 60 seconds. Used a tie down strap hooked to 2 zip ties, 1 was not strong enough so used 2. I hooked the tie down to the zip tie which I hooked to the spring and the other around my foot. Pulled it tight and presto it was done. I love it when things work and now I dont have to give it another thought. Now on to reducing tension on the drive belt next. It is over 200 lbs per Kicket. Serious vibrations right at 70.

Spyder Garage

I’m looking to buy one if the Baldwin’s also, did you install the baffle if so which combination did you use.
    2019 Rt limited chrome , Phoenix orange

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Since my last post on this thread, I have installed the cat bypass, and I did not use the baffle. It definitely has more throttle response and seems a little stronger. But in the lower RPM range (below 2500), it might have lost a little tq. It is a little louder than I want, but not bad. I think I will stick with it due to the fact that I want to get the ecu flashed in the future, and if I put the baffle in, it will probably not come out when I do that change. BTW, I have the stock muffler on my F3T.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandylolee View Post
    I’m looking to buy one if the Baldwin’s also, did you install the baffle if so which combination did you use.
    I have a Baldwin cat delete that I bought at his shop last fall. He recommends baffle in/plug off for best results. Since I was on a ride to the Ozarks, I didn't take any chances and ran it with baffle in/plug on. It had a noticeably better/deeper tone and was just slightly louder than stock. When I got home, I took the plug off. A bit deeper yet and a bit louder. Fast forward 6K miles/10 months later ( 4 days ago), I took the baffle out. It is louder on accel and has a neat snap sound when shifting. I just got back today from a freeway ride, wearing an older 3/4 helmet. I did not find any annoying droning noise, which Baldwin says some don't like with the baffle out. I'm running it with the stock muffler, so I think that provides adequate back pressure compared to any aftermarket muffler. I'm gonna leave it this way for now and play it by ear .

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Played it by ear long enough. Baffle back in/plug still off. Keeping it this way..

2022 RT Sea To Sky