Thread: Torque wrench?

Spyder Garage

Default Torque wrench?

I am (what I consider) a typical back yard mechanic. I have a tool box full of tools and all three sizes of the Harbor Freight torque wrenches, which over the years have been close enough for the places I needed to use them. However I do not want to use them on my wifes Spyder. That is an insignificant point in the fact that none of them go high enough to use on the rear wheel of a spyder anyway.

Looking for recommendations for a torque wrench that can be used for the higher torques (and lower torques), Ie rear wheel of a spyder (higher torques).

Thanks in advance
    John

Spyder Garage

I would try snap on. My father was a mechanic and he bought snap on tools. He used to say buy the best tools you can afford. I would not want to be using cheap sockets or wrenches on a higher torque specified nut. !st is safety I have seen the cheap sockets break and second is accuracy of the wrench.
    2011 rt , pearl white

Spyder Garage

You can also get a torque multiplier. This will work on any ratchet or breaker bar of the same drive (1/2" is recommended). It converts these tools into an accurate torque wrench.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-24-2020 at 01:44 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

There are several quality brands of torque wrenches. Snap On is one.

You mention wanting a torque wrench for high values and lower values. I suspect the wrench capable of the axle torque will be above the range for drain plugs or similar smaller fasteners. So sadly, I suggest buying two.

You might consider though, having you Harbor Freight torque wrenches calibrated, if possible.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    There are several quality brands of torque wrenches. Snap On is one.

You mention wanting a torque wrench for high values and lower values. I suspect the wrench capable of the axle torque will be above the range for drain plugs or similar smaller fasteners. So sadly, I suggest buying two.

You might consider though, having you Harbor Freight torque wrenches calibrated, if possible.
    This works GREAT!
    https://youtu.be/XaqBA-xSGbc?t=228

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    That essentially all torque is. Force applied to an arm.
    Downside of what you linked will be how accurate or calibrated is the $5 scale being used.

Years ago, at a place I worked, bolted to the building beam was setup that had square drive for the wrench, and raised calibrated dead weights.

Rather than save money cheaping out, buy a good wrench instead of buying parts.

Spyder Garage

there are several sites on youtube that put the test to snap-on and HF. In ALL of the vids that I have watched. The HF torque wrenches out performed the snap-on. Look for yourself.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are better Harbor freight tools now a days.

I use a Lowes 1/2 drive torque wrench (kobalt) on wheels and higher torgue values like the Spyder axle nut.

Spyder Garage

If you are really going to use the torque wrenches like they were meant to be used, you would need a 1/4 inch, a half inch, and a 3/4 inch. I have never owned a Harbor Freight torque wrench, so I will not comment on the quality. If you take care of the torque wrenches properly, even the less expensive ones should be OK for a home shop. The main thing is to back off of the torque setting so there is no pressure left on the wrench when you store it. They should be stored in their case and never just thrown in a tool box drawer with the other tools.

If you are concerned about the accuracy of the torque wrench you already have, there are ways of testing them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGbCzm8lrKE
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Snap-On. 1/2 inch drive range is 50 to 250 foot pounds. I have had mine for twenty some years. Excellent tool.
    Last edited by DougE; 06-24-2020 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
    2013 RTS
    M2 Shocks
    Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55/15
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 175/55/15
    Viair 97
    2013 RTS , Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    That essentially all torque is. Force applied to an arm.
    Downside of what you linked will be how accurate or calibrated is the $5 scale being used.

Years ago, at a place I worked, bolted to the building beam was setup that had square drive for the wrench, and raised calibrated dead weights.

Rather than save money cheaping out, buy a good wrench instead of buying parts.
    Luggage scales (especially digital, which is the only way I'd go) are very accurate. Just a tad over on luggage, and you'll pay BIG TIME these days. And everyone is trying to get as close to the max allowed as possible.

I've tested my luggage scale against my digital postal scales (which are always right on or, at most, 1/10 ounce off with the USPS scales). And my luggage scale agrees with both of my postage scales. I think being within 1/10 ounce is good enough for a torque wrench calibration.

Torque wrenches are usually not nearly as accurate at the lower and upper 10% of their range. To get the most accurate reading from a torque wrench, it's best to stay within that 80% middle range. So, if you have a torque wrench rated at 50 - 250 lb. ft. You want to keep it between 55 and 225 lb. ft. if you can.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-24-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have a Tekton that I like.
    It's very close to spot on, and has stayed that way with use.
    Remember to store unloaded, but not fully unloaded. I leave just a touch of pressure on mine so the spring is not free.
    https://www.tekton.com/1-2-inch-driv...e-wrench-24340
    The HF torque wrenches get good reviews as well.

Spyder Garage

The HF tool would be good enough for anything I would work on,or you could go with the old 3/4's past striped method when all else fails!! Has worked for me for 63 years and never lost a thing in the woods! Keep it simple
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Luggage scales (especially digital, which is the only way I'd go) are very accurate. Just a tad over on luggage, and you'll pay BIG TIME these days. And everyone is trying to get as close to the max allowed as possible.

I've tested my luggage scale against my digital postal scales (which are always right on or, at most, 1/10 ounce off with the USPS scales). And my luggage scale agrees with both of my postage scales. I think being within 1/10 ounce is good enough for a torque wrench calibration.

Torque wrenches are usually not nearly as accurate at the lower and upper 10% of their range. To get the most accurate reading from a torque wrench, it's best to stay within that 80% middle range. So, if you have a torque wrench rated at 50 - 250 lb. ft. You want to keep it between 55 and 225 lb. ft. if you can.
    Well then, with a Snap On 1/4” drive 30-200 inlb click type torque wrench, a Snap On 150-1000 inlb click type torque wrench, a Snap On 5-75 ftlb click type flex head torque wrench, a 30-200 ftlb Snap On click type torque wrench, a 0-600 inlb Consolidated Devices dial gage torque wrench, and I still have my first torque wrench, a Craftsman 0-600 inlb bending beam torque wrench, seems I fulfill your 80% criteria.

As for the luggage scale testing, truly very glad it works for you.

Ironically, on older aircraft, often the torque holding the propeller on the engine was to have a steel bar through the prop nut, and a person hung from the steel bar while gripping the bar at a certain length, often around 4 feet out from center.

Spyder Garage

Been using HP clicker type for some years with no prob. It goes from 10ft lb to about 80 (I think).
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

A torque wrench is considered in spec if between +- 10 % the one I use the most is 275 inch pounds and is kept right at that spec.
    I use torque wrenches every day, Ours are checked every 6 months.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

OP, I would test the ones you have and soldier on.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    OP, I would test the ones you have and soldier on.
    Agreed, inexpensive peace of mind.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Harbor Freight also has a new line of Professional grade tools called Icon. I did watch a lot of videos with tool tests and the Harbor Freight stuff comes out pretty good now.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White