Spyder Garage

Default 2-ohm speaker options for 2017 RT-S

Looking to replace my OEM speakers with 2-ohm, 5.25” upgrade. Other posts have recommended JBL, but seems all of their 2-ohm models are discontinued. Looking at the Kicker 10PS5250, but reviews are mixed. Also considering Hogtunes Gen 3 Model 352F-AA. Seem to have mostly positive reviews. Any other options or recommendations?
    Thanks.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tbon View Post
    Looking to replace my OEM speakers with 2-ohm, 5.25” upgrade. Other posts have recommended JBL, but seems all of their 2-ohm models are discontinued. Looking at the Kicker 10PS5250, but reviews are mixed. Also considering Hogtunes Gen 3 Model 352F-AA. Seem to have mostly positive reviews. Any other options or recommendations?
    Thanks.
    Recently two members here put those speakers in their pre-18 Spyder RT's ..... In the rear the hole needs to be enlarged to 4 5/8th ins. .....IF you arn't going to do ALL four , you can cancel out the OEM speakers using the preferences feature ..... that way you won't hear them .... I did my 14 back in 14 using JBL's and have been happy ever since ..... good luck .... Mike PS .... and

Spyder Garage

Appreciate the advice, Mike!

Spyder Garage

Rockford also makes a 5.25 waterproof speakers that will fit.
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    Rockford also makes a 5.25 waterproof speakers that will fit.
    yes they do ..... but are they 2 ohm ???? ..... that's what the OP is looking for ......and IMHO Mtc's don't require MARINE speakers ...... WHY ?? ... because most speakers made today are " waterproof " ..... the materials they use to make the speaker are not water absorbent .... My 2ohm JBL's arn't Marine grade .... I've had them for 5 + yrs. and have been in plenty of downpours ..... they work fine ....... a few years back another member complained His speakers didn't produce enough BASE .... so he thought if He sealed up the seams in the speakers enclosures that would get Him what He wanted ..... imho - maybe ??? ... But what would occur was total speaker failure because those enclosures would Fill with water ..... You have to consider the environment the speakers will be used in ...... Mike ....PS , anything less than 8 inches is not designed to produce a large amount of " Base "

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks.
    What you should be asking is whether the Spyder's speaker amp is rated to handle the increased (double) amperage draw of 2 ohm speakers over 4 ohm.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    What you should be asking is whether the Spyder's speaker amp is rated to handle the increased (double) amperage draw of 2 ohm speakers over 4 ohm.
    Based on my 5+ years of using 2 ohm JBL speakers ( with four 5.25in speakers ) and no issues .... I don't know why anyone wouldn't like Better sound quality and increased volume capability ..... in 14 when I made the swap, I contacted JBL ( Harmon Kardin ) about using 2 ohm in place of four ohm .... the less technical answer was ..... " there won't be any issues ". They did advise to " break them in " ie. start using them at 25-30% for about an hour and slowly increase volume over a few hour periods ... ( this was something I had learned a very long time ago ). When I first talked about doing the ohm change, I was surprised at how much criticism I got from some members who claimed they had vast Audio credentials .... I'm glad I took the advice from JBL ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input everyone. I’m hoping to get a bit more volume from the lower impedance, 2-ohm upgrade. We’ll see....

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input everyone. I’m hoping to get a bit more volume from the lower impedance, 2-ohm upgrade. We’ll see....
    " a bit more volume " ( not laughing at you ) ..... At 75% volume it hurts my ears ..... that's how loud it can sound ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " a bit more volume " ( not laughing at you ) ..... At 75% volume it hurts my ears ..... that's how loud it can sound ..... Mike
    Wow. Looking for sound quality over volume, but if I can achieve both with 2-ohm, why not?? ��

Spyder Garage

Wow. Looking for sound quality over volume, but if I can achieve both with 2-ohm, why not?? ��
    WELL I answered WHAT was asked !!!!!! ...... I Apologize for not knowing ALL the info you wanted ..... annnnnnnnnnnnnnd I completely forgot to provide TIRE info ....... ride safe - ride happy ....... Mike