Spyder Garage

Default Air Box Removal ?

Well
    tuning up the old girl or at least trying. Got the easy spark plug changed now to the right side, got the parts from Ron . My question is, the air box. I noticed that with the tupperware removed there is what i believe is the air box sitting horizontally acros the top of the engine. I also noticed that there is another sitting vertically in front of the engine.

I beleive the one sitting horizontally is the one I need to remove, it sure has some what looks like important stuf attached to it and am afraid of , you know what, I have a hose removed from the lower left side but she wont even feel like she is loose. HELP

On another note while I am at it, on the right side looks like the fuel filter ( silver) vertically I might as well replace that while I am at it.
    2013 RT Limited SE5

Thanks guys
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests

Spyder Garage

The unit in the front is the resonator. It stays in place. To remove the part over the engine you need to unhook the spring clips. There are about six of them. Slide the top out. There are six black torx screws holding the lower unit to the throttle body. Lift it off. The first time is always the worst. I highly recommend getting a manual from an online source. One other thing, there are some support pieces that need to be removed. They are obvious.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

When did mine I removed it without too much difficulty but it was very time consuming. I also did not want to have to contend with trying to fit it all back in place, only to have to remove it again next time. So I replace all the air box and resonator with the air cleaner system from JT. Very clean, very easy to work around. I like it.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

. Get rid of that cumbersome & 'creates horrendous difficulties for basic servicing' OE unit (& the resonator too!) and fit JT's air cleaner!

Then you'll have no worries getting the air cleaner out of the way ever again, and absobloodylutely NO risk of getting an overwhelming & rage fuelled burning desire to blow the whole bleedin' thing up because you can't check the spark plug OR get the air cleaner back on!!

And it makes the induction noise sound sooo much nicer too!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I pulled mine apart this last winter to do the plugs and wires. It's not impossible, but if you have never pulled tupperware or done any mechanical work it's a bit intimidating. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ance-on-the-RT

There is a support on the right side that needs to be removed in order to slide the airbox out. It's actually easier to just remove the frunk completely to get access. It's not held on by that many bolts in reality. I'm not sure, but I think when they ship the bikes to the dealer in a crate, the frunk is not attached and they attach it at the dealer. Once it's off and all the plastic is removed, things are much easier to get to.

My only concern with the replacement air box/cleaner is that it comes with a warning that you need an additional guard to keep rain out as well as a prefilter to help muffle some of the intake noise. Pulling the airbox off is a pain, but you shouldnt have to do it that many time unless you are putting lots of miles on the bike. My original wires and plugs were probably on the bike for 10 years before they needed replacement and the newer ones are better and should last longer. YMMV
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

We ran JT's without the additional guard... no issues at all without it.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black