Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RTL - Top Case Not Locking Problem?

I can't get my top case to lock. Looking for a little help from 2020 RT owners who have the top case. I have locked it a couple of times before, but never paid close attention to the mechanism. I now CSM's get it to lock. Since purchasing, I have to double check and push real hard on the top to make sure it is closed. If I have any complaint about these RTL's it's this top case and cheap closing and locking mechanism. You'd think you spent 27K on a vehicle that they would put a quality clasp and lock on the thing! Ok, rant over- I can't figure if a piece is broke or missing or what the problem is. I don't necessarily want to take it to the dealer if I can resolve it myself. I have attached photos. Can anyone who has this model identify the problem? Thanks.

Photo #1 is the bottom mechanism (top view looking down)
    Photo #2 is the top case mechanism with the key inserted and the case in the unlocked position
    Photo #3 is the top case mechanism with the key inserted and the case in the locked position
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

It is similar to the case on my F3ltd... there are "guides" on both sides of the case toward the front of the lid. They need to align to the holes under them and they are "sensitive" meaning that any twist in the lid misaligns them and makes closing more difficult. I make sure mine are aligned as I close the lid and then once the lid is down I give it a solid press on the BRP logo to latch it.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

looks like pins not aligned

Spyder Garage

The pins need to be adjusted. It is behind the tail light.F3B414C4-F393-4AEE-A0A6-110692B0AC6E.jpg
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you!

Thanks to the responses I have now fixed it! Removed the tail light cover and readjusted the posts. Quick and easy. This is such a great forum. Thanks for all the help!

Spyder Garage

Glad you got it fixed
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

It helps to put some grease on the upper plates. You don't want to grease the pins as clothing might brush them.
    It also helps to mount a Show Chrome rack - it stiffened the lid and gives you something to push down on other than on the plastic. They come in chrome and black.
    https://www.ebay.com/p/251945403?iid...hoCZ9wQAvD_BwE
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome