Thread: very low MPG

Spyder Garage

Default very low MPG

Change to a RLS cat delete and after about 50 miles decided to check MPG , was very surprised to see it was 12 MPG and at idle instant .4 ?????. can this be right . 2019 F3L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Many things come into play to influence MPG, and it all starts with the right wrist movement. Give your ride a couple of tanks to get used to the change. About 200 miles should do it, then start checking your MPG.

Spyder Garage

50 miles is way too soon to check mileage. Monitor a couple of tanks first.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

OK good point , I will give it some time , it runs great

Thanks

Spyder Garage

give it a couple tanks. Going from high 30's/low 40's to 12 is a pretty big difference.

I get consistent high 30's/low 40's on my 2019 F3L. Now has 6K miles on it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbear View Post
    Change to a RLS cat delete and after about 50 miles decided to check MPG , was very surprised to see it was 12 MPG and at idle instant .4 ?????. can this be right . 2019 F3L
    I have often said " MPG's are important info in determining if something is wrong " .... and I dis-agree with " a few more tankful's are needed " your MPG drop is HUGH, I could understand 3-4 mpg's .... but no-way 25-27 ..... Did you add a BAFFLE ??? to compensate for the change in Back-pressure could the oxy-sensor have come off ???? .... Your comment " it runs great " contradicts your Extremely Low mileage ..... get in touch with RLS ( not your dealer ) immed. and report this to them ... they may be able to get you looking at possibilities Mike

Spyder Garage

Sounds like both those readings were from the trip computer. It's not always a good measure. Fill it up, ride it like normal. I bet you get more than 84 miles from the tank.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

The YTD from new is were the reading comes from . Yes to the baffle , only have 3500 miles on it . was just in to the dealer before I changed the cat for its 3000 mi change.
    Also the miles to empty looks right . no gas leaks no strong smell of gas , a little more the before but not excessive . ( no cat ) also no codes .

Spyder Garage

I admittedly only skimmed the thread - but didn't see you say - did you let the bike idle for 10-15 minutes after installing the pipe? They say the ECU can relearn but that after installing a pipe you let it idle for 10-15 minutes before doing anything else. Might try that if you haven't - just for good measure.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Did let it run for 15 min, the strange thing is the miles left seams correct

Spyder Garage

Iam total brain dead , can I blame COVID-19? Went for a ride reset trip setting and getting normal MPG . I must have reset the total trip mpg at some point then idled the bike for 20 min after install on cat bypass.
    Sorry for my post , new to all this Spyder stuff

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I for one appreciate your candor about this discovery, ..... as far as knowing what your MPG's are the way I have always done it is this ..... #1.- Always fill tank to the same level ...#2.- zero either A or B on the Odo ....#3.- refill to the same level and divide the miles traveled by the amount you just put in ..... Be advised even doing it this way it will be affected by road geography , speeds used , acceleration applied , temperature , total load carried..... For long term accuracy your MPG's should averaged over 10-20-30 etc. tankful's .... As I stated earlier - Dramatic changes in MPG's is an indicator of possible major engine issues ...... ride safe - ride happy ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbear View Post
    Iam total brain dead , can I blame COVID-19? Went for a ride reset trip setting and getting normal MPG . I must have reset the total trip mpg at some point then idled the bike for 20 min after install on cat bypass.
    Sorry for my post , new to all this Spyder stuff
    I reset mine sometimes when I happen to have one of the 3 onscreen and decide i need to reduce the radio volume.
    Welcome to the world of Spyder.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange