Spyder Garage

Default What is this part?

This part fell off while I was riding, and I noticed later, when I got to my destination. What do you call this part? I'd like to see if my dealer has one or if I have to order it. Also, is it safe to ride without it? I would think so.

It's a 2012 RT Limited. Pics attached from both sides of the Spyder. Sorry the pics are sideways. It's a little grille - feels like plastic and looks like it snaps in or something.

Thanks!!

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wow I can't imagine how that grill could have fallen out...... I know exactly how it is fitted into my 2014 RT , the 12 may be different and IF the only the dealer people did some service ....they really screwed up ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

That part is something that someone has added to your 2012 Spyder RT some years after its initial purchase!

NONE of the RT's prior to 2014 had a grille in that RHS hole, altho many Owners thought they'd 'lost' a part cos the other LH side hole had a grille in it & the RHS hole looked like it was the same.

After the 2014's came along with a grille in that RHS hole (I think it was 2014 anyway, coulda been a bit later ) some owners of earlier RT Spyders started buying the later part & modding it to fit, with varying degrees of success. So that's probably what happened with your RT & the RHS Grille. At some stage, someone's fitted a (cut down) grille from a later Spyder in an attempt to match the grille on the LHS.

Sooo, if you want a replacement, you'll need to order the part from a later year model & then cut it up a bit to get it to fit.... or you could leave your Spyder without it - after all, that's the way it came from the factory. Your choice tho. Good Luck!

Ps: YES, it is safe to ryde without it!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Yes you are right that piece is a block off panel so the heat does not cook your right foot. I put one on my 2012 spyder RT limited and it helped a lot. There is a Torx 30 screw that holds it on. It must have came undone. I hope this helped you. And yes Peter Aawen is right it is safe to ride without it but your right foot might get hot.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roscojim View Post
    This part fell off while I was riding, and I noticed later, when I got to my destination. What do you call this part? I'd like to see if my dealer has one or if I have to order it. Also, is it safe to ride without it? I would think so.

It's a 2012 RT Limited. Pics attached from both sides of the Spyder. Sorry the pics are sideways. It's a little grille - feels like plastic and looks like it snaps in or something.

Thanks!!

Jim
    I owned a 2013 rts there was not one on that bike either. The right grill was left off to allow more air flow for the fans to exhaust. You could add a blocking plate if you want. I don't recommend it. On the 13 model it would get real hot anyway because on it design.
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Thanks, everyone!!

The Can-Am dealer said he ordered one for me, but since he's not a Spyder dealer anymore, he has to go through a Spyder buddy. But if it originally didn't have one, maybe I should just leave it, or get the ones I've seen on YouTube that have the cool Spyder logo on them.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, everyone!!

The Can-Am dealer said he ordered one for me, but since he's not a Spyder dealer anymore, he has to go through a Spyder buddy. But if it originally didn't have one, maybe I should just leave it, or get the ones I've seen on YouTube that have the cool Spyder logo on them.
    You can find some aftermarket vent covers here if your looking for some http://store.valueaccessories.net/St...sSpyderRT.aspx
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RT-S I ordered the right-side grill for a 2014 RT-S with a little modification (cutting) the bike now looks complete. No problems venting heat on the right-side.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Thanks!!

Jim
    My first spyder was a 2012 RTS-SE5 I had the same thing no grate on the right side near my right foot.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue