Spyder Garage

Default Cannonball Seat Rattles

Purchased my 2015 F3-S from the previous owner with just 5K on it. He had installed the cannonball seat and backrest. The thing rattles like crazy! I went to take the backrest off because I wanted to sportier look; however, the seat wiggles so much, I was afraid it would fly off. Appears it only has one metal "pin" to attach to the bike - this could explain the sloppiness. However, there does not appear the seat was ever designed with a similar metal pin on the other side of the seat.

Any ideas? For the price Can Am charges for this seat, I would've expected more.

Spyder Garage

That pin height is adjustable. Loosen the jamb nut and turn the pin in a little and tighten the nut. It will hold the seat tighter. If it gets tough to release, push down on the seat while turning the key.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I tried that...seat till jiggles :-(

Do you happen to know what this springy disk thing is under the seat (to the right of the sticker)? That is the side where it wiggles and is loose because there isn't another locking pin to go in that side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

That is just a sensor that tells the computer if a passenger is sitting on the back seat

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

However, beyond just detecting the presence of a pillion, a load strapped tighly to the seat, or even just a strap holding the seat down tight, it does trigger variations in the way the computer responds to throttle input; adjusts the VSS/Nanny response to wheel speed variances & yaw sensor input; and it changes the ABS response & the front/rear brake bias too, so it is pretty important if you carry a pillion often &/or ryde reasonably hard when doing so..... but apart from that, it's not doing much for you as a solo rider who doesn't ever carry much in the way of load.

Is that 'springy thing' the cause of all that wiggling & looseness, NO, not likely, but it certainly isn't helping minimise it at all!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I stuck some foam sponge underneath the seat about 3'' thick did the trick for me but it depends how dense the sponge is. the sponge puts tension on the ball pin getting rid of the rattle only down side if you can call it that is you have to push down on the seat to release it with the key which isn't a bad thing as it stops me popping the seat when I want to open the frunk Untitled.jpg
    2017 f3-s daytona , circuit yellow metallic

Spyder Garage

there should be rubber blocks under the seat as well that sit around the area of the pillon switch.maybe they fell off

Spyder Garage

There's got to be some thing missing there rubber bumpers, foam or the locking pin is sitting to far out and the seat cant settle in where it's suppose to be! Ride by the dealer and take a look under the seats of the same model you have and see!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by justsmile0808 View Post
    I tried that...seat till jiggles :-(

Do you happen to know what this springy disk thing is under the seat (to the right of the sticker)? That is the side where it wiggles and is loose because there isn't another locking pin to go in that side.
    The somewhat jiggly seat is pretty much the norm on the F3 models. I'm on my 3rd one (F3 base, F3 Daytona, F3-T), and they all do that. No real change of losing it.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue